WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Another one for you Cathy. Muthomi did another pic of Lilly sat on my lap as Susan did my feet....

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lovely!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Wendy.... I looked at that image and it sank in that I am blessed, so lucky. Four generations in the room (Muthomi took the picture) and as a bonus I get a foot massage. It doesn't get much better than that!
I have remembered that I am due at the surgery at 11AM for bloods, must remember to pee in a bottle!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Lots of people talking about this on the Barnoldswick Talk Facebook page. 02:50 this morning, never felt a thing.
https://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquak ... vents.html
FB_IMG_1654064206502.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I woke up at that time but that's not unusual, nothing obvious on our cctv footage. The epicentre looks to have been around Piked Edge, to the left as you come up to Black Lane Ends from Colne.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I couldn't see anything on the CCTV here either.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the news in Oz.... Margaret knows about it... I never felt anything.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's right, another funny hat. A Kyrgyz felt hat hand made in the mountains.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Very fetching :smile:

Eartquake - so you have a 2.8 on the Richter scale, and no one notices yet 0.5 stops fracking. (Logarithmic scale)

A bit of exaggeration for effect there. . .

"Both the government and the OGA have said they had no plans for a review of the “traffic light system”, which forces firms to stop fracking if they trigger tremors of greater than 0.5 in magnitude."

Show me puzzled. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's an interesting comment.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, I have had a domestic half hour and am getting my breath back.... So I'm listening to Today on R4 and have to say there is a strange feeling of unreality for me. We are being flooded with ersatz enthusiasm and cheerfulness on the premise that we are all celebrating our love for the monarchy and in particular for Brenda's 70 year anniversary of the coronation. Sorry but none of this applies to me. My first reaction this morning was to reflect on the fact that there are huge sighs of relief throughout the Establishment, she didn't spoil everything by dying!
They are now pumping us all up and we are all supposed to enjoy ourselves.... Sorry but I look at things like THIS warning from a man who should be taken notice of, Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan “You’d better brace yourself,” he told the roomful of analysts and investors. “JPMorgan is bracing ourselves and we’re going to be very conservative with our balance sheet.”. Then look at the situation in Parliament and the looming inflation crisis.... Could it be that the platinum jubilee is yet another handy piece of distraction?
(Oh, and don't forget the possibility of food and energy shortages later in the year.)
Celebrate? They must think we are fools. Perhaps they are on the same page as Nadine Dorrise and think the public has forgotten everything that has happened....... Think again kids....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 05:32 We are being flooded with ersatz enthusiasm and cheerfulness on the premise that we are all celebrating our love for the monarchy and in particular for Brenda's 70 year anniversary of the coronation.
It may sound odd but I can't remember anything about the Queen's coronation although we did have a TV which was bought, actually rented, so that dad could watch the Olympic games, but I can remember when George V1 died. My school bus route from Burnley centre had its terminus on the same street as Butterworth & Dickenson the iron founders and loom makers. The men were pouring out of the works, the driver shouted " you're early", "Aye King's dead we've finished soon". The atmosphere was more like a celebration than a wake.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was wrong of course, the anniversary is of her accession in 1952, not the Coronation in 1953. I think we got a day off school but can't remember anything about it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Strange how the mind works. WENDY , in my dream last night , we we’re together in your lounge room on your sofa, chatting and happy. Your hubby was there too, sat in a lounge chair. Some black and white ornaments were involved, 3 of them turned into 3 live kittens. Two black and white, the other ginger, not as soft and pretty, which I took because I thought no-one else would want it. ??
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cathy wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 09:17 Some black and white ornaments were involved, 3 of them turned into 3 live kittens. Two black and white, the other ginger, not as soft and pretty, which I took because I thought no-one else would want it. ??
Sounds like one of those biblical dreams. Seven years of plenty followed by seven of famine. or on the other hand its one of Boris Johnson's excuses. "I only took it because I thought nobody else would want it." Honestly it wasn't a real party because it was a dream and although you may think it was real I never believed I was there.

PS. what do I do with this bloody ginger cat. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our Town Council are getting some stick for announcing that there would be a jubilee beacon on Weet's and then not delivering! Quite a few folk made the effort and wandered up last night to find non event! Pity as it would have been be a unique event which will probably never happen again. According to the comments over in FB land the no show is due to the town council being short on staff. Down to 9 apparently, 2 vacancies, (I wonder who has jacked in?) and one person with a broken pelvis. Bad luck with BOTS being arranged at the same time as the Jubilee weekend.

It does beg the question though as to why they simple didn't ask for help with a beacon. I remember the last one we had which was to celebrate HM the Queens 90th birthday. All arranged via a suggestion on FB and discussed by a few locals, constructed, registered on the official beacon site and lit at the required time along with the thousands of others around the country. :smile:

I think we should have a metal basket on a pole set up at the site of the last beacon for future use. I reckon anyone handy with a welding torch could produce the requirement. It would be considerably easier to fuel it as it would only require a few cut up pallets and a step ladder. You would only need a small van or a hatchback to cart the load. After all a beacon is a short lived event and it's the taking part that actually matters. We don't need a full on bonfire big enough for roasting taties and the like and the much bigger effort required to construct and manage it.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Realistically would it be worth the effort Ian? Aiden Wellock commented on the Facebook thread about it
Seems there’s more folk moaning than would actually go up weets for it. Given the amount of work Nick Livsey and others put in off their own backs in 2016 for her 90th nationwide birthday beacons it probably wouldn’t have been worth bothering again given how few went up.

Although it was mentioned, on Facebook, back in February that it had been added to the town council calendar it never moved on from there. It wasn't listed on the official list of beacons https://platinumjubilee.gov.uk/events/# ... sult-count
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, I was there as one of the instigators.

The number of people that actually visit the beacon site is irrelevant Kev. Many, certainly of the older generation can't make the climb up to the site. However thousands would see it from down in the town.

My point was, why didn't they just ask for help? It would surely have been forthcoming, still gone ahead and a job off their hands
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cathy wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 09:17 Strange how the mind works. WENDY , in my dream last night , we we’re together in your lounge room on your sofa, chatting and happy. Your hubby was there too, sat in a lounge chair. Some black and white ornaments were involved, 3 of them turned into 3 live kittens. Two black and white, the other ginger, not as soft and pretty, which I took because I thought no-one else would want it. ??
That's nice Cathy! I didn't see you though! :laugh5: Spooky though because I have 3 sets of cat ornaments....

Egg cup cats in the kitchen.
20220603_134113.jpg

Flying cats on a beam...apologies for the dust!

20220603_134128.jpg

Big cats on top of the book cases with an ugly ginger one facing away!!
20220603_134200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That is Spooky, as Tripps would say, haha. I’m glad you have kept the ginger one, someone has to look after him and I’m glad he is is good hands. 🐱
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that grand daughter Laura in Oz didn't see my early morning mail so she got in touch on Whatsapp to check I was OK. Nice.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've just seen the Red Arrows fly very fast and low, straight over our house on their way to the Torbay Air Show. We were keeping eyes and ears open because we knew they often fly over Taunton on their way into the West Country and we've seen them here before. We weren't sure if they'd come because of the cloudy conditions and low cloud base. But they simply flew below it! They were in a V formation with one more just behind. We might see them again tomorrow when they do a second display at the show and then return to base. The BoB Memorial Flight is also due at the show so we're watching out for them too.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Word from Bolton Priory that young Kahara (who doesn't wear nappies now) had his first Wild Pee yesterday and thought it was hilarious!
I have this mental image of Brenda sat at home with her feet up enjoying watching the Derby.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think she enjoyed meeting Paddington Bear more than watching the Derby! :extrawink:

Have a look at this video, it's simply marvellous fun - but watch it carefully or you'll miss lots of background things. Probably best to watch it at least twice....
`Animatronic model workshop: 'Most people have never seen anything like it'' LINK
BBC caption: Chris Margett runs the Victorian Model Workshop near Melbourne, Derbyshire - which he believes is the only shop of its kind open to the public. He said people are thrilled to get a behind-the-scenes glimpse of his work in the animatronic model workshop, which he's had for over 30 years.

And this is the web site of the workshop: Workshop site
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The company Sally used to work for in the corporate Christmas decoration market used to have an animation department. They used to make Teddy Bears wink and wave and reindeer's gallop. They animated Paddington once in his balloon adventure. :extrawink:
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”