WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

Maz, do you commemorate Anzac Day the same as we do for the armistice in November?
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

There’s a great clip on YouTube of Australian Soldiers marching and singing Waltzing Matilda.
0B35842E-79A2-4192-B5D8-2340FA3C0D47.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

This is another song that is very emotional for Australians.
5C8BC6D6-48C3-4674-8E4E-82B95CAAB9B1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for those Cathy. If you copy the reference from the share tab on the YouTube clip and drop it into your post it will link directly from your post to the clip.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just searched for the second clip and it requires age verification to view, is that down to the language used?
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

PanBiker wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 13:18 Maz, do you commemorate Anzac Day the same as we do for the armistice in November?
We went to the war memorial and viewed the wreaths, then watched as those taking part in the parade assembled. We didn’t stay for the parade, as crowds were getting a bit thick for comfort ( I wore a mask). The best bit for me were the horses. Magnificent creatures...
We have three pubs that had views of the parade, and walking back to the car we could see they were doing a roaring trade! People were on the balconies, dressed to the nines, with drinks in hand.
In November we commemorate Rememberance Day, same as your Armistice Day.
( hubby could march with his Dad’s medals but he doesn’t)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I hope this is it
I don’t have an icon on the far right of my phone with the right arrow that looks like a Play button to select source.
C37880B2-197F-4971-AECC-A4094BA2BB0A.png
No it hasn’t worked.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Try this LINK
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:good: Ta.

It’s a different clip to mine.
It was ‘doing my head in’ trying to get it to work.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just heard Max Hastings talking what I believe is common sense. Commenting on the imminent departure of the Queen Elizabeth with eight supporting ships for a maiden deployment to demonstrate our naval capability to the world. Flag waving. We haven't enough F35 aircraft to populate the ship so for this voyage we have eight British jets and ten American. Hastings says that the ship is a nonsense, eggs in one basket country. As Russia said the biggest floating target imaginable. I'm afraid I agree. And don't forget we have two of them.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You might need some mates...like Australian mates :laugh5: ( it may hurt to accept that, but we love the Queen) :good:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Full moon tonight in our Eastern Sky, just as we were doing the tea dishes.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 06:40 I've just heard Max Hastings talking what I believe is common sense. Commenting on the imminent departure of the Queen Elizabeth with eight supporting ships for a maiden deployment to demonstrate our naval capability to the world. Flag waving. We haven't enough F35 aircraft to populate the ship so for this voyage we have eight British jets and ten American. Hastings says that the ship is a nonsense, eggs in one basket country. As Russia said the biggest floating target imaginable. I'm afraid I agree. And don't forget we have two of them.....
I mentioned a couple of years ago that the Chinese were now focusing their weapons development on long-range missiles that could be fired from land to sink a carrier way out at sea. It's the DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile which can find and sink a ship 1000 miles away. Since then they've been developing the massive hypersonic CH-AS-X-13 air-launched missile for the same anti-carrier function. It's carried by and launched from the H-6 bomber which has aerial refuelling capability and that extends the weapon's range to allow attacking targets in the Pacific or Indian Ocean. The aircraft carrier is becoming as outmoded as the dreadnought battleship. `China’s New Aircraft Carrier Killer Is World’s Largest Air-Launched Missile' Naval News
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

As I said :biggrin2: you might need some Australian mates!
( you make it hard though, when you treat us like crap) :extrawink:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20210422_183756.jpg
I have lots of grape hyacinths growing in my garden. I had to ask my gardener what they were :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I planted some miniature ones of those once. So small, I had to get down on my hands and knees to see them!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The change in the weather. Mind you. we need some rain....
Then I looked at the news.....
See THIS BBC report.
"Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been sentenced to a further year in prison and a one-year travel ban after being found guilty of propaganda against the regime in Iran. Her lawyer said she was accused of taking part in a protest in London 12 years ago and speaking to the BBC Persian service."
It becomes obvious that the Iranians are going to play cat and mouse with this woman until they get their money. When does the Foreign Office and Treasury get together and free her?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

She's certainly being used as nothing more than a political pawn. The really sad thing is that her daughter who was a baby when it all kicked off is now or about to turn seven years old and has only really ever seen her mother on video or in photographs . The true criminals in this cass is the medieval Iranian regime, they are pushing to remove international sanctions on them developing their nuclear industry and ambitions.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Poor show, but I think the child actually was with the mother for a while in Iran, but came back to England when she needed to go to school. Mr Ratcliffe looked, for the first time, as if he wasn't coping yesterday on TV interviews.

Iran has been elected by the United nations Commission on the Status of Women

I have another view of what's going on, but you wouldn't like it - so we'll wait for the denoument.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A letter from Colne planning department.

Holt House Football Ground, Harrison Drive , Colne, Colne football Club.
Full major: Erection of a 1700 capacity football stadium with artificial pitch, club house function rooms and car park.

Some years ago ex-Pendle councilor Mr Cooney proposed selling Holt House for £1 for a similar development. At the time there was no legal requirement that once purchased a change in usage to housing could take place. This needs watching very carefully.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I have another view of what's going on, but you wouldn't like it - so we'll wait for the denouement."
I have every sympathy for the woman but must admit that my crap detector whines slightly every time I hear the case mentioned.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

It looks like Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is piggy-in-the-middle with our government doing the absolute minimum to help this woman. It looks like she is being used as a pawn in international politics. We do nothing to help in order to make Iran looks like the villains hoping that this will position us better when trying to do a trade deal with America. This of course could all change now that Joe Biden is president who may go for getting inspectors back into Iran and reversing Trump's disastrous hard line approach.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Ken and I hope things do change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I posted this pic a few days ago and yesterday I realised what the source of the soil was as I took my lunchtime walk. For some reason itl has been taken out of the wild flower area behind the bus shelter on Station Road. No doubt we will eventually find out why.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marvellous photos...
`England's 20th Century coastal communities seen from above' LINK

Note that Montague Grahame-White who owns the steam yacht in one of the pics was the brother of Claude Grahame-White, the aviation pioneer. Also, in the photo that shows Blackpool Tower you can see that it was taken from a biplane by the bit of wing showing in the corner. And Victoria Pier, Blackpool, is now South Pier.
In the Burnham-on-Sea photo you can see a line, like a slipway, running from opposite the last building down the sands to the edge of the sea. In the mid-1800s it was a railway extension from the station that allowed wagons containing goods or passengers' luggage to be taken down to small ships. It was too steep for locos but they would push wagons from the station and onto the slope from where they were allowed to run down the slipway line controlled by a cable linked to the loco, which could then haul them back up when empty. It was used until the 1880s then became a normal slipway for boats. (If you're wondering how boats could come alongside the railway, the beach sand was at a lower level at the time.)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”