WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

At the moment it's simply the miserable prospect of walking down to the butcher's on a cold, wet windy morning...... Ah well....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Still waiting for a two-book order I placed through Abebooks 2 weeks ago. I went through the recommended procedure on the Abeboosk web site for notifying the specific bookseller about the non-receipt but they didn't respond. Then went through the procedure for notifying Abebooks of a seller who isn't responding. Minutes after doing that I got a useless automated email from the seller, probably trying to prove they had responded. But still no response until just now when at last I got an email from a human being - asking for the order number...which was in my previous message to them! Now I'm still waiting.

It's not my day. I spent about half an hour trying to order a book from the Somerset libraries online. Their web site is unbelievably confusing. No consistency in the descriptions or amount of detail, no distinction between hard/softbacks, lots of links to the same book so you have to trawl through until you find a suitable copy. As I was doing this, Mrs Tiz was trying to understand Somerset Libraries' plans for cutting back on libraries local to us. That too was almost impossible to understand, yet they expect us to give our views on the plans. Oh well, the lady who's going to design our garden comes shortly with her plans so I hope that will be better! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Chaos in Tizer's neck of the woods today M5 crash (BBC Report)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Chaos is the right word. The diverted M5 traffic spills over onto the A38 and any other road that drivers can find on their GPS. We had hailstorms this morning and I guess the accident was related to that. We remember 20 years ago when we moved to Somerset and the M5 traffic moved at a stately 70mph and in the evening you could be on it alone (except in holidays of course). Now it's a racecourse like most other motorways. (Fortunately the garden designer was close by and was only about 30 minutes late.)

I finally got an email response from the bookseller. Rather garbled but I think they are blaming it on Royal Mail. They've promise a full refund in two days. We'll see how long that takes! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for a BBC report on the latest White House resignations, both after accusations of domestic abuse. Why does the fact that Trump is supportive worry me?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The lousy weather forecast and the possibility that Wendy will be in a blizzard! Only good thing is that she and Col are sensible and prepared.
The way that bad eyesight can lead you astray. I looked at the stocks yesterday and couldn't believe I had run out of bleach but was puzzled why I had two containers of detergent. I got another bleach and this morning realised that I had two! What I thought was detergent was thick bleach.... Never mind, nowt wrong with having ten litres of something as useful as bleach in the house!
See THIS for a disturbing BBC report about the fire hazard inherent in some skin creams. In worst case scenarios you can turn yourself into a firelighter!
See THIS also for Trump's latest foot in mouth moment. This bloke is unbelievable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The most common emollients contain paraffin products. Typically from their make up..
Liquid Paraffin, White Soft Paraffin, Glycerin - The Health Centres tend to use one of the branded products and apply it quite liberally where dry skin is involved. From my experience it does survive a shower or a quick swim so I would expect it to leave a small residue on clothing if they weren't washed properly. On a personal hygiene point of view if this stuff is used where it is in contact with undergarments ,socks or even top clothes they should be washed on a daily basis.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The skin cream flammability story isn't new but it's a confusing issue. For example, the makers of Vaseline petroleum jelly say it isn't flammable: LINK but Unilever in the US has been the subject of a lawsuit from someone who claims that Vaseline on her hand ignited and cause 3rd degree burns LINK . There are Youtube videos on the web of people burning vaseline. Also, vaseline on cotton wool balls is used as a firelighter. So it obviously assists with burning and perhaps the jelly on clothes is analogous to its action with cotton wool balls. If this is the same after washing the clothes then they are not being washed at a high enough temperature and with enough detergent to remove al the petroleum. Here's an interesting forum thread on the subject: LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Crossing the road could be riskier.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trump going down the outsourcing and austerity road in the States. If course like many of his proposals it might not happen but it's an indication of who he is favouring, I'm afraid the poor are going to get poorer. Evidently the Chicago School of Economics is still alive and well......
We are hearing a lot about global economic growth but I get the feeling that the Western economies could be on a knife edge.
See THIS for a video of the two engines I made for Debs and Sarah when they were ill. They have their mahogany bases now.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The site's a bit quiet at the moment - so I'll inflict this upon you. :smile:

Had my haircut today Tony is from Puglia in the heel of Italy - we had our usual pleasant chat . It went roughly like this.

Ash Wednesday tomorrow - Lent starts, and it's Carnival season or carne vale - farewell to meat (for a while). I spoke of the magical experience of arriving in Tenerife on the day of the carnaval. I spared him from watching the video on my smartphone.

He spoke of 'Arlequino and Punchinello ' and his childhood visits to neighbours' houses to perform little plays/ sketches for them. He sang one of the verses they used, in Italian for the benefit of his colleague. He said they were rewarded with sausages cut down from the stock hanging from the ceiling, and went home loaded down with them

We then spoke of the connection with 'Punch and Judy' shows in UK, as the similarity of the names struck me. (Punch - not Judy)

Lady with her sons commented on the pigs being taken into the butchers across the road for slaughter - seems she was a small pig breeder, and took hers there - she felt bad about taking them in as they followed her readily with no fuss. Barber asked how heavy were the pigs she sold - 65 - 70 Kilos. He said the last pig they killed back home was 350 kilos - gasps all round.

He asked me if his favourite wine (Paolo Leo - Primitivo di Manduria), was on special at Waitrose - he said last time he went, he cleared the shelf, and his wife wasn't pleased. I said no - he said tell me when it is again.

I asked if he knew about Primitivo Papale which I've been told is even better. He said yes - he's had it. His colleague immediately googles it on his phone and says it's £20 a bottle. He says £10 is my limit and then only at the weekend. Says he gets a good Primitivo for £4 a bottle from his mate in Bedford. Good enough for weekday drinking.

We spoke of Italians coming to work in England - he said his sister was a midwife who had to leave and go to the North of Italy, and even that job was just maternity cover for a year. I spoke about Mr Schiavofrom Ancoats who's grandfather came to England over a hundred years ago - for the same reason - no work in Italy. I didn't like to make the point that 100+ years was a long time with no solution to the problem. He said that when Italians came to Bedford for the brick industry they came on fixed five year contracts. I said that it might possibly happen again.

I think that beats 'have you had you holiday yet Sir?
Went home and found a source of Papale for about a tenner. It's on my 'to do ' list. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Old fashioned barbers and an old fashioned pig as well. The target for a home killed pig was about 29 score, 400lbs.
The fact that being 82 and entering my 83rd year doesn't feel any different. Also the fact that there hasn't been a word out of the kids..... I am keeping quiet.
Later. the kids have noticed. Also note that we have entered the Chinese Year of the Dog! (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The continuing furore over sex abuse embedded in the major charities. If this is the fault of bad management and supervision it must be addressed immediately but cutting off funding and punishing the recipients of aid seems to me to be a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. I am as disgusted as anyone else if the allegations are true but the people in power should bear in mind the old adage; 'When you are up to your arse in alligators it is sometimes difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A news item for Panbiker...
`Hillwalkers warned about magnets in clothing' LINK

And one for all of us...wonderful images!
`The winners of Underwater Photographer of the Year 2018' LINK

Tripps, I wish my memory was as good as yours - if I take a phone call I can only remember half of it to relate to Mrs Tiz afterwards! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 10:14 I wish my memory was as good as yours
It's a ' moveable feast' Later that day I forgot it was Monday, and the bin didn't get put out. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can remember every word of the 90 minute phone call to Talktalk yesterday..... The server is back online.
The Samsung sound bar is a complete success aided by the fact I found the sound adjustment menu on the TV when I was setting it up. The instructions were crap and if I hadn't had a sound cable in stock I would have been buggered they don't include one in the kit. Tip:- the socket for the sound is the headphone on the back of the TV. This isolates the TV speakers as well on my Samsung. I didn't even try Blue-tooth. I had to shout for help from Garry on Rainhall Road as I had used the wrong audio socket.
I ran part of Shetland again to check the results, superb, I can hear every word at lower volume.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: yes but...because you had seen Shetland before...you remembered most of the dialogue!. :laugh5:
I know, I know...I'm a stirrer...

I do enjoy the Celtic Women singing on our TV. Voices like angels, even without a sound bar.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes Maz, and he also says he found "the sound adjustment menu on the TV when I was setting it up" - so perhaps he didn't need the sound bar after all, just needed to adjust the TV's sound. (Perhaps I shouldn't be mentioning it! :extrawink: )
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5:
(He will get "all hot under the collar" with both of us now)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm hiding under the table! :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

And I am on the other side of the world :biggrin2:
( I think I am safer than thee) :laugh5:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What's your Deputy Prime Minister been up to Maz?
`Australian government ministers can no longer have sexual relationships with staffers' LINK
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Nowt much. It's his deputy who has blotted his copy book. So there is fallout.
But the crime is as old as humanity ( cheating husband/love child).
Been there..got the T-shirt! ( tho thankfully no love child). Men of a certain age needing reassurance of their virility. Also known as mid life crisis.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

At least the newspapers and ministers seem to have a sense of humor .

...extramarital affair with a press secretary, who is now his partner and pregnant with their child.

...had showed a “shocking error of judgment”

He just got his timing wrong.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's quiet here again, and I said I'd try to get out more so. . .

Interesting experience last night. Invited to a poetry reading and book launch - her next door's done another book. Held in Waterstones, central Cambridge. Pleased to attend, and support the author. It's along time since I went to the big city - I felt just a bit intimidated by it all, but managed to park in 'The Grand Arcade'- it really is very Grand too.

Had a pot of tea - they make it with real leaves - well done Waterstones, then had the reading and renewed aquaintanceship with people who had been to previous such occasions. There was plenty of wine but sadly I was driving.

Later I was approached (unprovoked), by a very interesting Italian lady who after asking me if I was a poet too - (not guilty), opened her soul to us - said she yearned to be artistic or literary, but didn't have the talent. I urged her to give it a go - she pleaded old age (I'm nearly 82) and dyslexic, I said I know 82 year olds who are still being very creative. (well one anyway).

She then kindly explained that the brain responds in different ways to vowels and consonants - 'vowels trigger the emotional parts of the brain - not so - consonants'. That's why Italians are so emotional she said, we have so many vowels.' 'I see' said I.

She then complained that she could no longer read the paper copy of the 'New Scientist' in the main library. This, it seems was an outrage. I urged her to go on the internet to satisfy her curiosity - she said she as too old. 'Nonsense' said I. Find a child to teach you all about it. She seemed unconvinced.

She then left, and I asked around as to who she was thinking I'd like to speak again at another such function.- no one had a clue. She had blagged her way in. - Wonderful.

Then we tried to get back to the car - we went back into the car park through a different entrance - (always risky). I knew it was on Level -1 (very Stephen Hawkins that) - and naively I followed the sign for Level -1, little realisng that there are two level -1's, and the one I went to was only for bicycles.

We found the car after about half an hour, and I now know that the car park has been rebuilt since I last went, into two parts, and the two do not connect - parallel universes in fact. Since 9 out of ten people you see in town have at least four A* at A levels - it's obviously designed as an amusing test for them.

It all makes you feel a bit inadequate.

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”