WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

Will the guards not fit on your old specs?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Possibly Kev but those frames are 40 years old and still excellent, I don't want to do anything to upset them, they are still my best shed glasses!
The rising tide of students in the US protesting about the gun laws. This, plus the reactions of firms severing their links with the NRA, is the first hopeful sign I have seen of a movement against the NRA mentality. Predictably, the right wing press is branding these students as left wing liberal activists who are not survivors jumping on the bandwagon. This is see to be criticism on the Right but to my mind it's a perfectly legitimate stance. Yes, compared to the rabid 'out of my cold dead hand' brigade they are left wing and liberal but that's OK by me!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We need young people to do more protesting, after all they are the ones who will be most affected if they don't. It's time for them to make themselves heard here in the UK too and not just on the abuse issue. They've got much more opportunity to get their message heard than we did in our youth. How about something like #Peace Not War for a start? (I don't know if that tag already exists but if not, it should do.)

Some powerful photos from the past and a different type of protest... LINK
`Rare photographs that changed lives'
"Twenty-four photographs from the Lewis Hine archive have been auctioned in New York. The rare prints were from the collection of the late New York photographer Isador Sy Seidman. American sociologist Hine was one of the most important documentary photographers of the 20th Century. Because the notion of photojournalism and documentary did not exist at the time, Hine called his projects "photo stories", using images and words to fight for the causes he believed in. The prints span Hine's career and many are from his most well-known projects, centring on the poor and disadvantaged from the Carolinas, New York and Pittsburgh...."
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lewis Hine has been a favourite of mine ever since I discovered him in NY.
Have a look at THIS article about Jacob A Riis who did ground-breaking photojournalism in the slums of NY which was a spur to reform.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marvellous photos. I'll bet at the time they were published there would be have been those who shouted `Fake news, fake news!'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rambo Trump telling everyone how he would have confronted the shooter in the school unarmed. The man must think we are potty. Trouble is he will not be alone..... Different kettle of fish entirely when it happens.....
See THIS FT report on the latest problem in the White House. Trump's son in law Jared Kushner has had his security clearance withdrawn because of fears about his vulnerability due to business problems and historical allegations against him. How much worse can this Presidency get?
11:30. A bit of an emergency arose.... Funnily enough I was thinking about people getting into problems in this cold weather with the heating going off because the condensate outlet from the boiler has frozen. At some point in the last twelve months I have lost the insulating cover off my condensate pipe. It's a very short piece of plastic pipe that empties into the waste stack outside. I just went for a pee and heard a slight clicking noise, when I investigated I found it was water leaking out of the condensate pipe at the bottom of the boiler. First IA was to put a bucket under it. But then I got to thinking that it might build in the pipe and knock the boiler off. Not what I need this weather. So I have drilled a 3/16" hole in the side relieving the pressure, it's dripping directly into the bucket now. I have checked and it is still firing on demand so I think that temporary fix might keep me going. I can soon heal it up with insulting tape when it gets warmer! I shall of course rectify the missing insulation as soon as it's practical! I shall empty the bucket when I go to bed but don't expect there to be any quantity..... If my fix goes wrong I can of course send for the fitter on my contract but at the moment I don't think that's necessary......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 04:23See THIS FT report on the latest problem in the White House. Trump's son in law Jared Kushner has had his security clearance withdrawn because of fears about his vulnerability due to business problems and historical allegations against him. How much worse can this Presidency get?
Perhaps it's coincidence but I read on Saturday about a big Chinese company that, amongst it's myriad other interests, owns the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan. It's now in trouble and the Chairman is accused of corruption. In passing, the report mentioned that there was a business link with Kushner.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for another significant resignation from Trump's staff. How long oh Lord, how long?
[He's certainly leaving his mark on history.....]
The fact that my fix on the boiler appears to be working OK. -14c with wind chill here this morning but the boiler is soldiering on. (I have of course got the stove in reserve!)
The collapse of Toys'R'us and Maplins. The High Street is poorly, perhaps the expansion of personal credit is slowing down.
See THIS BBC report on the attack made on Max Mosley by the Daily Mail. Quite obviously it is actually an attack on the alternative press regulator that Mosley is suspected of supporting which would introduce draconian powers to allocate costs to the media no matter whether they have won their case or not. I have no time for Mosley [or for that matter, his father], and will lose no sleep over his local difficulty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing on the web as yet but the Enquiry into Child Sexual Abuse is to publish its first report this morning on the child migration policy the UK government pursued after WW2 and well into the 1950s. Many of the children were abused after being imprisoned in institutions.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Gas supply warning as cold snap bites' LINK
"National Grid has warned it may not have enough gas to meet UK demand on Thursday, and has asked suppliers to provide more. In the event that there is still a deficit, large gas users such as industry and large businesses will be asked to use less gas. Consumers will only be asked to use less gas as a last resort if these measures do not work. Demand for gas on Wednesday hit a six-year high as cold weather swept the UK."
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Looks like forced migrant children from the UK to Australia and other countries around the world between the late 40's up to the early 1970's may be given compensation from the UK Government. The Government is being encouraged to be expedient in this matter before more of those affected die. Already about 50% of all those affected are no longer with us.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought of the story Maz and Cathy told us many years ago. One of the survivors had it about right when he said that nobody cared a rat's arse about them. He modified it slightly for the TV interview, I wouldn't have bothered because he's dead right.
The slight improvement in the weather picture, bad as it is, we are starting to climb out of the hole.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again the slow improvement in the weather, the wind is still there but has slacked off a bit and it's a shade warmer. There is hope for us yet!
Trump starting a mini trade war by imposing tariffs on imported steel and aluminium. A quick popularity fix at home but a retrograde step that will achieve little and cause many problems globally.
The corporate response to the Florida shootings grows. The latest participant is Black Rock, the biggest investment firm in the world. They are threatening to take gun-making firms out of their folios if they show no signs of trying to improve the present gun laws.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Empty shelves at our Tesco Metro today...

Bread...

Ready meals...

Milk...

Fruit & veg (the two crates of white things on the right are garlic!)...
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There are a lot of households desperately trying to eat 6 loaves of bread and drink 24 pints of milk before it goes off...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Field veggies a bit low at the Co-op yesterday but Chaudrey's were stocked up OK.
Slightly softer morning today......
Drop out in mains leccy knocked the FM3 off in mid stride about ten minutes ago. We can do without them!
Later at 05:10. Another drop out knocked me off line but straight back on again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just heard some astounding news.... The retailers have come up with a cunning wheeze, start a craze for 'Easter Trees' and baubles..... So not satisfied with Easter Eggs, we are all going to be egged on to erect Eater Trees. What next, Easter Illuminations on houses? Include me out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Panic buying and nobody wants the Garlic.
I rest my case!!!!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

BBC news report: `Snowed-in farmer throws away 8,000 litres of milk' LINK
The report doesn't clarify what is meant by `throws away' - surely he can't be putting it down the drain? Do they spread it on the fields? Here we are in the 21st Century and thousands of litres of milk are being thrown away on each of many dairy farms. Lack of joined up thinking perhaps?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It goes into the slurry tank Tizer. What else can they do?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps I should have been clearer that I'm not blaming the farmers for failing to have a better backup system. The agri-industry should have been developing systems for dealing with this situation. The NFU should have been looking into it was well, but then they have always been reactive rather than proactive. The farmer in the article says he can deal with some milk, presumably that's the slurry tank, but no more. I wondered where the milk went when that was full.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I was expecting gloom and doom at our co-op today. Many of the shelves were bare, but they didn't seem to have a shortage of milk which is wjhat we needed most. Fresh fruit and veg and meat seemed hardest hit. Frozen was OK. Didn't see the bread situation since we make it ourselves.

Most farmers slurry tanks would hold 12 months worth of the milk they produce without difficulty. When my dad was farming he had a small farm (about 50 acres and 50 cows) but the slurry tank was about the size of Barlick swimming pool. Your'e aware that a slurry tank is farmer speak for a sh*t tank ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurry_pit
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a lot you can do Tiz if the milk tanker can't get to the tanks in the dairy. In the days of kit milk there were always alternatives like sledging the kits to the road but now they are knackered. Even in the worst snow we always got the milk away from the farm in the old days when I was on farm pick-up but that was in 12gallon kits. By 'dealing' with some milk he probably meant feeding it to calves and pigs, plenty of room in the slurry pit for the rest. Most farmers will have a tractor mounted shovel for muck shifting and can use that for digging the road out.
My condensate pipe thawed out yesterday afternoon so I put insulting tape over the hole I made in it, retired the bucket and had a word with my friend Ian Capstick across the back street. He is going to replace the insulation on the offending 12" of plastic pipe this week. Nice to have good neighbours!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I was cursing the fact that I had to buy a condensate tank/pump because there wasn't an easy way to put a drain into where my boiler was.when I changed to a condensing boiler in 2012. I had it down as something else to go wrong.

Never entered my head that because the condensate drain system was entirely indoors, it wouldn't freeze in winter. The boiler is in a cupboard, the condensate dribbles down a short tube into a small tank sat directly under the boiler. It has an electrical connection and a pump controlled by a float valve. When it gets towards full the pump turns on for a couple of seconds and pumps it down a narrow tube into the washing machine drain. The outside bit is just the existing washing machine drain, being a large bore it doesn't freeze readily. Just in case the pump fails, if the water continues to rise past the point it turns the pump on, it turns off the power to the boiler to prevent a flood.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boiler-conde ... Swi5RaSNcr
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for the explanation about the size of the slurry tanks, I didn't know they were so big - and yes, I know what usually goes into them! :smile:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”