WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Marilyn »

Well, if it's in bottled water, wouldn't it be in bottles of anything? (Soft drink/Sauces/etc). Obviously it isn't the water's fault but the plastic bottle.... :geek:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right Maz but if that were the case you'd expect all the plastic to be the same type but as I understand it the larger particles were analysed and were different.
My hardback copy of 'Sybil' arrived yesterday and I was a bit dismayed when I saw that it was 32mo (3.5" X5.5") and the type was very small. It's one of the OU Classic series. However, all this changed when I gave it a go and found that with my new glasses I have no trouble reading it. That's encouraging!

You can't beat having friends with a ladder! Remember my condensate pipe freezing because the insulation had been blown off? My young friend Ian Capstick has done the necessary and this will be a cure......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've looked at the original report by the American scientists who did the `plastics in bottled water' study. It wouldn't surprise me that small particles of plastics can be found in tap water, after all they've got just about everywhere in our environment, including in the air we breathe. What did puzzle me was if they had found the particles in bottled mineral water. On reading the report it seems that most of the bottled water they analysed was bottled tap water not bottled mineral water, in other words the bottlers drew the water from a municipal supply and not from a natural spring. There shouldn't be any man-made materials in the natural mineral waters that are drawn from deep underground where water has filtered through many layers of rock over long periods of time. Unfortunately the report doesn't seem to distinguish between the types of bottled water which is a shame because the natural mineral water could have been used to show whether plastic was getting in during bottling and to ensure that the methodology was valid.

One of the dangers now is that our chemical analytical techniques have become so sensitive that we can, in a manner of speaking, detect almost anything anywhere. That makes it all the more important that we take care with interpretation of results...and it means that the news media are all the more likely to worry us unnecessarily. In the 1970s I spent some time working in a lab where samples of rock from kilometers under the sea bed were analysed for organic molecules that could show the sorts of plant and animal life that existed when the rocks were being laid down as ocean sediment, hundreds of millions of years ago. It was essential that we kept out all contamination during drilling, sampling and analysis and the techniques we used had been developed by that lab to analyse the moon rock samples. No matter how much care we took we always found a particular peak in our GC-MS analysis and we gave it the nickname `ubiquitane'. It turned out to be the most common man-made plasticiser used by industry. In the end we used it as a convenient marker in our spectra!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz. I thought about aquifers deep in the rock as well and couldn't see how they could be polluted in their natural state because of their age.
I couldn't agree more on your comments on the sensitivity of modern testing methods. I fear that this syndrome occurs in other areas as well. I am thinking particularly of the sophistication of hospital tests for certain conditions. I have the idea that if they look for a specific disease or flaw they will find some evidence of it in almost anyone and this could trigger unnecessary treatment. I suspect this is happening with one of my grand daughters at this moment and have said so. This does not help my popularity!
The fact that I only have one article on the stockpile at BET. I am going to have to do some creative writing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The latest news from Trump Land. I won't bore you with the details but I get a sense of concern in the White House after the latest shenanigans in the intelligence community. Trump's personal lawyer is trying to get the whole investigation into possible links with Russia stopped on the grounds that the enquiry is politically corrupt. (LINK) The Trump Presidency becomes even more surreal.....
The fact that today is free leccy day and therefore cooking/washing/housework day. One thing about it, a good day for injecting free heat into the house from the activities!
How cold it is out there.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Firefighters tackle large blaze at Stalybridge mill' LINK
More than 50 firefighters are tackling a blaze at a mill in Greater Manchester. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said it was called to the mill in Clarence Street, Stalybridge, at 23:43 GMT on Saturday. Five storeys of the mill were "well alight", the service said. Incident Commander Billy Fenwick said the fire had been "surrounded" by 06:00 on Sunday, and added that crews had stopped it from spreading. "We are confident nearby buildings are safe from harm," he added. Mr Fenwick said firefighters would continue to tackle the blaze throughout Sunday and said a fire investigation team would attend to "try and establish a cause".
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Yes, been reading the BBC report of the fire. Now, like many mill buildings, converted into smaller business units, wonder what happened to sprinkler systems - are they no longer effective (note generally that sprinklers were an insurance company requirement to mitigate against loss of inventories ,structures or machinery to fire, people were expected to be able to walk/run to avoid fire so less thought for them) ? As long as loss assessors are on top of their job most businesses should be able to re-locate and continue, other service based ones might find it more difficult with clients mainly from the local areas. Building wise I suspect it wont survive and ultimate owner will probably use any compensation to put in application for a residential rebuild so they wont lose out long-term.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good link Tiz. It definitely had a sprinkler system at one time, they were mandatory under the Factory Acts. That's the reason for the tower, there would be a large CI tank in the top to give enough head of water to be effective on all floors and when the level dropped a Mather and Platt underwriter pump or similar would kick in but that was steam driven and I wonder whether it had been replaced with an electric pump or perhaps the system had been abandoned with multiple use. Shades of Grenfell......
The strange way the snow has gone away even though we have had such low temperatures. It's almost as though it has evaporated leaving dry ground.

The Underwriter at Ellenroad.

The electric pump that replaced it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What attracted my attention later was a call in to the chemists for a bottle of spray on Optrex lotion for dry eyes, I thought it would be a good idea to try it. I thought I had misheard her and asked her to repeat the price.... £15.99! This for a tiny bottle. Needless to say I declined! (Just had a look. £6.77 on Amazon.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 03:09 The strange way the snow has gone away even though we have had such low temperatures. It's almost as though it has evaporated leaving dry ground.
What you're seeing there is the same as in the so-called `dry valleys' in the centre of Antarctica, reckoned to be the harshest desert environment on Earth and used sometimes to assess the possibility of life on colder planets such as Mars. It's due to very dry, strong winds blowing down the valleys and causing the snow to sublime, to shift directly from the solid to gaseous state without passing through a liquid state. The only living organisms so far detected are photosynthetic bacteria living within the first few millimetres of the rock surface and anaerobic bacteria living under a glacier. Dry Valleys
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had an idea it was something like that. Very effective!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

When you often wake in the night and listen to the radio it's interesting to note the 'stories' that are covered, and them seem to disappear during the daytime.

Two such today - ex President Sarkozy has been arrested and was in police custody, on suspicion of accepting 50 million euro from Col Gaddafi , and someone had asked under 'freedom of information' about the amount spent on Grenfell survivors. I didn't remember the exact numbers but recall it was many millions, and that it was enough to completely rebuild the block.

Nothing on either, in the news outlets I use during the day.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I heard about the woman who lied that she'd lost family in the fire and was put up in a hotel and accepted lots of material and financial aid. Her room was filled with stuff. It was all lies, she was living elsewhere and hadn't lost anyone. I suppose you always get a few like that.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The lady,who had driven in from Reading I think had been news reported on the Telly in London last Thursday. I think R4 overnight has world service packaging UK news up for wider auidence and also runs or pre runs items that then turn up daytime on the despatches or from our own correspondent slot.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's one of the reasons I listen early in the morning David. They run World Service until 05:20 each morning when it reverts to R4. World Service news has different editors and you often hear items on there that never appear in day time bulletins. I heard both those items yesterday. I too have heard reports on UK matters that never appeared on the R4 news. I remember once in an 'oil crisis' there was a report from I think it was Rotterdam that there was no shortage of oil there, the storage tanks were full for the first time since the facility was built and there were tankers anchored off-shore waiting for room in the tanks so they could come into port and offload. That never got through to R4!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some Sony Award photos: LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pics Tiz but what struck me was how many of them are more to do with post production manipulation than an actual decisive moment..... I think I'll stick to Henri Cartier-Bresson!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know about anyone else but after all the discussion about road maintenance I have been noticing how bad things are. Every road in Barlick (and the pavements as well) is deteriorating and to my eye we have got beyond the stage where patching will cure them, what is needed is a major programme of resurfacing. Dream on Stanley.....
Globally, Trump striking out at China with tariffs to fulfil the promises he trotted out during the campaign. China immediately responds with sanctions against the US. This can only end in damage to trade which will affect all of us. It's the modern version of the Cold war policy of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction).
The proliferation of pics of our MP Stephenson and his cohorts in the BET. Could there be elections in the offing?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A piece in PE which pointed out that the much reported Saudi order for the Typhoon fighter is not an order at all, simply a statement of intent.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`The woman who brought skull watches back to life' LINK
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Don't forget to put your clocks forward! Like the Time Lords tampering with time. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It always makes me feel tired..... Even though I had an hour longer!
The skull watches don't do anything for me..... I like a plain dial with two hands!
See THIS BBC report on the Quantas non stop, 17 hour flight, from Perth to London..... Not sure whether it's a good thing or not. I remember Sydney to LA many years ago.... Almost the same length of flight and I wouldn't recommend it.
Surprising what you learn if you listen. Did you know that some church bells were not tuned at the foundry but rung as cast? They were described as 'maidens'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 03:42 It always makes me feel tired..... Even though I had an hour longer!
Which way did you put your clock? Putting it forward gives you one hour less sleep and would explain why you feel tired.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as simple as that China, I can handle an hour less of sleep. It's the fact my routine is altered that does the damage. Bit like mini-jet lag.
News that from this Thursday coming the hordes are arriving for the big wedding. There are going to be many visits and reunions and I am getting excited. It takes a lot to do that these days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS BBC report that the search for Madeleine McCann is still active and being funded. I understand the need for closure and sympathise with the parents but it disturbs me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”