WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

£175000 to £235000 is expensive in Barlick...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There is no social housing component to this build either.

There is already a plan for about another 150 houses the other side of the canal from Silentnight on the former Barnsey Mill brownfield site. This would be preferable to any encroachment on green space within the town, we have another large brownfield site at the other end of town as well. Both of these sites border onto existing housing development within the town.

The government reckons that we need 1000 extra houses in West Craven (Barlick and Earby), 600 for Barlick. No mention in any of these plans for upgrades to infrastructure and support such as better medical facilities, school places, transport etc..

We have discussed all this over in the Pendle Core Strategy thread on the site.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just received my flyer through the post. The two story 'Raleigh' semi at £175,000 looks a little expensive but it is difficult to say without some sizes on the rooms. The three story 'Chaplin' semi at £235,000 is not everyone's cup of tea with a proposed layout that is hard to visualize from the plans. Again no sizes. Whether they are too expensive for the area only the 'Market' will decide. 14 houses are shown as reserved so there must be some interest.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's not a particularly big site for 30+ houses which is probably why there are no sizes in the brochure.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The solution to a shed problem. I didn't even know I had it but all became clear as I had my afternoon sleep. My brain must have been working on it. I constantly marvel at the planet sized computer we all have inside our skull! I shall be pursuing the solution later this morning.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 20:40 It's not a particularly big site for 30+ houses which is probably why there are no sizes in the brochure.
The developers have put in plans to build an extra house on the site as well, not extending the footprint but it does include an additional site entrance and exit.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 09:35
Big Kev wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 20:40 It's not a particularly big site for 30+ houses which is probably why there are no sizes in the brochure.
The developers have put in plans to build an extra house on the site as well, not extending the footprint but it does include an additional site entrance and exit.
The entrance is right on the bend too I'll be surprised it's approved, it's got to be a safety issue.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

From our experience in the village we've just come from the developers just `bring in a man from London' and he overturns any objections and let's the project go ahead.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'Referring to the Minister' almost always results in a successful application I think. Almost like an extra payment to the government as a backhander. Increases the tax take?
I have no doubt that there is a psychiatric treatment that embraces the old concept of 'counting your blessings', I do it quite often. I was stood outside last night waiting for Jack to have his evening pee and looking up at the stars and taking deep breaths of the cold, clean night air, straight in off the Atlantic. It struck me that there are so many places where this isn't possible. We are indeed blessed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that for the first time in my experience the site automatically switched my account to GMT as the clocks changed. I have had to do this manually before.
The change in the weather, it is much colder!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 20:51 Doc has had a bit of an incident at sea Image
There's an update on Doc's incident, the guilty party has been tracked down and the insurance company are all over him.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! I'm glad to hear that. I can't check up on Himself now as I have ditched Facebook so your updates are great, please keep them coming.
This morning it was a very good report on World Service on the increase in Far Right activity in the US since Trump gained the Presidency. It is a repulsive movement and so insidious. I am old enough to remember what the rise in Fascism did for us from the 1930s onwards..... Echoes of a very troubled past.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trump gets ever closer to really serious trouble.... Insiders say that the White House is 'freaking out' and Trump is spending a lot of time on the phone talking to his lawyers. How has it got to this stage? I can't help feeling that eventually this is going to become really serious. Consider what could happen if he was impeached. Would his supporters take it quietly? This dénouement is not without the bounds of possibility.
Facebook admit the number of political accounts originating in Russia during the Trump campaign.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I had a visitor yesterday.... I have always said that the most rewarding aspect of going through the trials and tribulations of rearing children is the future benefit of having grand children! I rest my case......

Later, on my way out with Jack for our late morning pee I picked up a plastic bottle that had been dropped in the street to put it in the litter bin(Insert expletives and opinion as you see fit!). I read the label as we were walking along..... Now I know we are all aware of this but it was a shock nevertheless. It was a 500ml bottle and on the label it stated £1 each or £1.50 for two. Then I looked at the ingredients in 500ml, 3 teaspoons of sugar and some artificial flavouring in 'spring water'. When you think of farmers struggling to get by on 43p a litre farm gate price for milk and compare it to £2 for a litre of sugar water do you ever get the feeling we have gone astray somewhere?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The arrival yesterday of the kit of parts for my next project, the Wobble Broach. A rare little beastie, if all goes well it will enable me to bore square and hexagonal holes.
Further afield, Trump stoking fear and division as a reaction to the van attack in NY yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yikes! Have just checked out the menu and prices for dining at the hotel we will be staying on the weekend.
There is no way we will be eating there. I cannot justify the equivalent of a week's grocery shop on one meal. That is ridiculous!
( don't want to sound cheap, but I don't care if it was cooked by naked virgins...the city is full of reasonably priced eating spots)
How can they justify those prices?!
I would be happier with cheese and crackers...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I would react in exactly the same way Maz. We can live off A$2 a meal.....
Tom Philips (Steeplejerk) popping up on my screen this morning on a stack in Rochdale. See Steeplejacks Corner. He's looking very impressive!
A very good friend of mine has been told her biopsy is normal after an operation for cancer. She is going to have an eight weeks course of Immunology drugs after Xmas. The best news possible!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My centre finder is waiting for me at the sorting office.
A very good programme on World Service this morning discussing whether the universal preoccupation with economic growth is a mistake. Some very interesting and persuasive points of view.
Later on Farming this Weekend on R4 a man was asked what his international contacts thought about Brexit. He said they all say the same thing, that we are crackers! I think that sums up my belief as well. It's suicidal.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My head is full of present events, chaos in Parliament and the ebb and flow of accusations so I shall do the only sensible thing, get on with my own knitting! Free leccy means washing, cooking and housekeeping. I shall add a stint on the shed and I hope these activities will preserve my sanity. That's right, I shall shove my head in the sand and wait until the storm blows over!
The relative quiet last night as heavy rain (or austerity) limited the amount of fireworks. Jack and I await this evening when it should be better weather..... Bugger the fireworks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In the last couple of days, my version of `getting on with the knitting' to avoid the world around me has been to paint the inside of the garage walls with white emulsion to make it a brighter place to work. There's so much in there that a lot of time is lost in having to move stuff about to get at the wall, but it's best to do it now then I can put up shelves and organise the space more effectively. At least I can get at the work bench now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Satisfying work Tiz. I haven't a hope of doing it in the shed!
More fireworks last night but Jack handled it better. No violent trembling and clinging to my side, he just went behind the sofa and endured it. Getting older?
The slaughter in the Texas church. What can anyone say? Trump says it isn't a gun matter despite the fact that his weapon was a Ruger semi-automatic assault rifle....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It wasn't an Islamic terrorist either but a white Vietnam veteran. The effect of Islamic terrorists in the US is minuscule compared with the number of killings and injuries of Americans by other American-born citizens.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trump doesn't want to know that Tiz. Did you hear him addressing the troops in Japan? Chills me to the bone.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good to see the heir to the throne maintaining sartorial standards in the jungle. (He's the one in the centre). Suit and tie - with the minor concession to the temperature, of single instead of the usual double breasted suit. I think that leaves just Jacob Rees- Mogg and me in the D/B camp. :smile:

Charles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you had as much money and unearned privilege as that man you wouldn't even notice what he is wearing David!
The fact that both my daughters are poorly, both having ear problems.... Poor little buggers.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”