WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Whyperion »

Dont know if personal alarm systems have made it to app level on phones (useless really for me - I refuse to get any apps from google or apple and there are no other (?) vendor platforms - that would be something if govt provided I would use) - although depends on phone undamaged working and battery not drained and phone not off (some might work in off mode). Two systems- mum uses Mascot which so far as I know only covers her local authority - they also ring round on a Birthday- which is a nice touch- and sometimes will call to check the system is working and ask for a test. The system depends on a working land phone line and working electricty to power the base station. they change the call button from time to time as the battery would be expected to wear out. The housing association run a similar system too and this covers more of the country as the housing association covers other towns and boroughs, dont know if that only applies to their residences. Other botoughs- not checked Pendle do have similar systems, Always useful having your neighbours phone numbers too.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If the intention is to have something in your home that will attract attention locally rather than a remote service or remote person then this is a potential answer. Contact your favourite electrician and talk to him about your needs. Get him to set you up a system based on a burglar alarm with siren and flashing light on the outside of the house, but giving most attention to the personal alarm aspect. There is usually a button you can press to set it all off and attract attention of neighbours - and you will, of course, have informed them that you've set it up as a personal alarm. I guess that there will be alarms that can be triggered anywhere in the house from something you could carry with you.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the sort of thing I am thinking of Tiz. I am always aware of the sad case of 'Paraffin' Jack, the former loomsweeper at Bancroft. He lived on his own, collapsed and died and wasn't found for a long time. When the police broke in his numerous cats headed for freedom and they found they had stayed alive by eating him.... Not widely reported at the time because it was so horrific, I can understand why.
It doesn't rule my life but like so many other things it is worth thinking about. My present defence is to talk to all my kids and their children every morning to let them know I am alive and well and not dead behind the door. They tell me they love them and would soon raise the alarm if I went off air. I suspect that absence off OG would trigger the same response here so in a way I am continuously addressing the matter.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

When our Grandma (Back Colne Rd) died, it was a neighbour who noticed she hadn’t opened her curtains or been out and about for a couple of days.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very common story Cathy. I hope she didn't suffer by lying there neglected.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

From what I understand she was reading in bed , fell asleep, and that was it. A bit like our other Grandma ( who finished her days here in Australia) , she was in bed and asked our Mother for a glass of water and when she returned with it, Grandma had died. Easy peasy :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the way to go Cathy. I think we all hope for something like that.
The arrival of two magnificent white Damart long sleeved vests, I am snug as a bug in a rug.
The horrible cold rain and wind. It will not be a pleasant walk to the butcher's this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Happy Birthday Nolic. :happybd: :mexwave:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Enjoy your birthday, Nolic. Best wishes from Tizer & Mrs Tiz! :drummer:

Our attention was caught last night at 10.50pm just after we'd gone to bed. A loud thump and some gentle rattling of things on top of cabinets. We definitely felt as if the house had been bumped by something but all went quiet afterwards. I thought it might be an earthquake. This morning we learned that was correct, an earthquake of 3.2 on the Richter scale and 3 miles down, centred on Huntworth about 8 miles to our north. Coincidentally Mrs Tiz was at a U3A Science Group lecture on geology of the south-west yesterday afternoon and has gone this morning to another held by the U3A Geology Group. They'll have plenty to talk about! LINK

The above data showing 3.2 and 3 miles down was from the British Geological Survey. A Guardian article says `The US Geological survey measured the earthquake to be slightly stronger at a magnitude of 3.4 and a depth of 10km. It also measured the epicentre to be 7km south of Taunton. The difference is accounted for by slightly different computing measurements but neither is wrong.'
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:sunny3: HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLIN :sunny3:
Have Fun :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Many happy returns Comrade! We have a duty to survive!
Tiz, I heard the report of the quake on R4 and meant to mention it. You do lead exciting lives in the South West!
What attracted my attention this morning is the uncanny ability of a duvet cover to gather all the other contents of the washer into it's maw. Spooky!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Goodness , sonic booms and earthquakes, what next ??
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Brexit......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Recently I recommended a product called Roket Card Glue which is excellent for making cardboard models and craft items. It's made by a company called DeLuxe Materials and I gave their web address. They do a wide range of products for craft people, not just hobbyists but for film makers and people like Nick Park who makes the Wallace & Grommit films. It was founded and is run by a former chemist called John Bristow and his wife and has been going for decades. I bought some more of their products and when they arrived this week I saw that the invoice was headed Perma-Grit Tools Ltd, not DeLuxe Materials. I emailed Perma-Grit and asked what their link was with DeLuxe. I got a reply from the MD, Ian Richardson, which explained all. Ian and John are long-time friends and Ian, who is good at making web sites, so he agreed to make a site and do the online sales for John's products. I think OG members will be interested in the Perma-Grit web site - their products are based around tungsten carbide abrasives. Both companies are innovative and are deeply involved in the applications for their products.

This is the Perma-Grit blurb from their home page:
Perma-Grit® Tools design, manufacture and supply Tungsten Carbide grit abrasive tools, for the High Performance Car, Boat, Aircraft, Prototype design, Hobby, DIY and Home improvement market. Our tools are renowned for their longevity and ability to work modern composite materials - Carbon Fibre, Kevlar, Glass Fibre, Perspex, Plexiglas, PCB, Lexan, Acrylics, Plastics and Polystyrene. Also, more conventional materials - Woods, Ceramics, Stone, Marble, Glass and Metal.
The web site is here: Perma-Grit
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that BBC Sounds, the way I access digital R4 on the computer, is AWOL and has been for two days. At first I thought it could be my sound settings but when I searched for R4 listen live on the main website it told me it couldn't find it! Not good service. Are their no staff on duty at weekends?
The website admits there are 'issues' with Alexa but no more than that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No problem with BBC Sounds here Stanley!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wendyf wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 07:14 No problem with BBC Sounds here Stanley!
Ah, when I googled BBC Sounds and went directly to it there was no problem but through the BBC website, clicking on the Sounds tab, there was.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have booked a hotel room in the city later this week, as Febby has his work Christmas "do" and I intend to spend the afternoon at the city shops ( a rare treat for me!).
Hotel room is just over £75 for the night. (Plus £13 for a car park...extra if we want Valet parking). We opted not to pay for breakfast (£15 each!) as we can get a cheaper breakfast at plenty of spots in the city. Today they sent us an email asking us if we want to upgrade our superior room to one with a bath...one which we can apparently watch TV in, together....(an extra £10) and if we wanted to have a room FACING EAST so we can wake up to natural sunlight (an extra £5!). No Thankyou.
Who would have thought you would pay extra for natural sunlight in the morning in Summer in Australia'!
( these people would try to sell snow to Eskimos)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It doesn't matter how I go for it Wendy I can't get anything. I am on steam radio, it will heal itself eventually!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We use BBC Sounds but only on the Samsung tablet. It's a lousy service. More often than not we get an `Unavailable' response and have to close it then start again. The web site is badly designed and it gets very low results in reviews. The iPlayer site was better.

I'd not heard of this before... `How Falkirk's metal workers became cowboy film stars' LINK

...and I don't know what to say about this! `Art Basel: Maurizio Cattelan's $120,000 banana eaten by artist' LINK
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well I never. . .

On the day that Ding Jun Hui wins the UK snooker open another Ding (Liren) wins the Grand Chess tour.

Ding Ding. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched until 20:00 and then decided bed was more attractive. The commentators were trying to be impartial but not succeeding very well. They kept talking Stephen McGuire up when it was obvious he was going to lose. Ding Junhui was unstoppable.
My circadian rhythm seems to have shifted, can't think why.... Must try to shift it forwards two hours. Bit like jet lag but without the jet!
Why does the word 'seems' come up as a spelling error above but not now? Seems to have rectified itself, spooky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that I still can't access BBC Sounds for my R4. I have checked and I am logged into my BBC account. It's either some conflict between Linux and the site or they are having problems. I shall use steam radio until the situation changes!
The very active weather systems racing through at the moment. The glass is going up and down like a yo-yo!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The NZ volcano incident is terrible. An Auckland University geologist says he thinks the eruption was a massive release of steam which happens when water gains entry to a volcano. No wonder there were so many burns or scalds. The volcano island is privately owned and promoted as a tourist attraction so it will be interesting to see what the legal and H&S consequences are.

By the way, glaciers in NZ have received a coating of dust from the Aussie forest fires and melting is accelerated as the dusty ice surface absorbs more solar heat.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I just sent an email to the studio at Oldham Community Radio. Never done such a thing before. I listen now and then , and the current DJ - Gerald Brierley's auntie taught me history for a year a long long time ago. I asked him to confirm this and added a few kind remarks. The station is in a time warp and resides in the 1950's - suits me.

He read it out in full, confirmed that 'Nelly' was his auntie, ( she was also Mayor of Oldham once), and said nice things about it all. He seemed genuinely pleased and said 'you don't know how much it means to us to get such a message.

Warm glows all round. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”