WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Whyperion »

Marilyn wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 09:42 In some ways here we have gone back to the 1960's, with every bit of organic matter having to be wrapped in newspaper to go in the green bin, along with grass clippings and pruning waste. ...
Similar here in the UK, but different by area. Sainsburys will only recycle ' shopping bags' even though different bags can be made of different polymers, Morrisons will take most soft plastic [ but folk in the store use the bin for food waste / paper /card from the amazon drop box unit that is next to it ](but probably not the flow foil stuff - which is a pain- at present when in Manchester I am adding it to the non-recyclables as it goes to fuel heat and power plants but burning it will unless treated cause an air pollution problem). Pendle had dropped their food waste collection service (has it been re-introduced the govt were trying to get all authorities to do it) In London I cannot put green garden waste in the food waste collection , in Burnley (no food waste service ) you cannot put food waste in the Green Waste Collection (which uses a brown bin), In Stockport, which uses a Green Bin you can put food and green garden waste which is really handy - my 90 year old neighbour gets confused so by agreement she does not have a green bin other than what the gardeners use for her ( which in London is illegal for tradesmen to use the bin even for the stuff they cut from your own garden !!) , so all her waste goes in one bin. Back in London SW partnership of 4 authorities will take glass plastics and cans (not soft) in one box and card paper in one bin (except for flats where they are all in one large paladin), Stockport take Cans Glass and Only Plastic Bottles with a bin emptied once every 4 weeks (in a brown bin), the cardboard goes fortnightly. Other manchester authorities have different mixes and colours of bins. For a while Lancashire Bring sites took large hard plastics, then they didnt - did they lose the reprocessing end user ? Has it changed now ?
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Marilyn wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 05:04 and was pleased to find that nothing clashes.
nothing did this year or next, then some clever guy decided to add an election in this year (which throws out the community carol concert which changing the date of that ripples into all the other commitments around the re-arranged date .... ), and to shift the May bank holiday for 2020 from a different weekend with less than a years notice - my events and venues get planned in over 18 months hence and affect what days holidays I can take as the working days are also normally fixed . Roll on 2021 at this rate.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact my castings are still AWOL. I have nudged them again and pointed out this is getting ridiculous....
Kev, sounds like a minefield.... Hard luck!
Once again, a relatively firework-free night. Jack was not at all discommoded. Economy?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later. Castings are in post minus one that will be sent later as they are still waiting for it. They took the money as soon as they got the order......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bypassed solicitors and have spoken directly to the seller and my buyer. We know what we're doing and when, I'm sure the legal teams will catch up especially if they want paying :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Finished terminating the sockets on the new ring in Jacks living room. Just one more socket to install on the return line for the ring in the pantry. Jack has a network switch and his router in there so it needs a power feed. That one will be a surface socket and the cables run in mini trunking, not a big job it only needs to run about a meter from the consumer unit and return the cable to complete the new ring main. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that Amazon quote two different postage rates on a 32 page book. £2.80 on Bookfinder and £10 on site order. I declined the offer.
The fact I haven't had my winter fuel payment yet. Usually here by now. Brexit?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The support collar on the top deck of our carousel has broken. Rotated it this morning to add a bit of shopping we had done and when I tried to rotate it back there was a grinding and breaking noise. The support pin dropped out and the top deck fell down fouling with the stuff on the bottom deck. We have emptied it and managed to retrieve the broken bits and the support pin. I will have to take it out of the corner cupboard but I think a repair may be possible, we'll see once I have it out, doors will have to come off from memory.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shout if you think I can help Ian.
No word from Stuarts yet!! I'm beginning to wonder if I shall ever get my castings!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Stanley,. I have done a belt and braces Araldite job on it. I took some pictures and I will put them up later. There are two identical collars and I will swap them round. The bottom level gets a lot lighter duty so I'll put the repaired collar there. If it goes belly up again I will let you see the rabbit, the collars are slightly complicated as they have a recesses pin retention slot and a "parking" indenture on the top. They are moulded plastic jobs but could almost certainly be made from metal if push came to shove.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

This happened a few months back but has just caught my attention and is something a little bit different. The Unicorn Sheep (Burra Australia) called Joey was saved from the food-lot by a farmer who paid with 2 cartons of beer for him. Joey is now a pet for the farmers children.
4C3883AE-66CC-42F0-A5FC-64344F6A118D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Very difficult photo for us sceptics - first thought was photoshopped, then perhaps judicious use of Araldite glue? :smile: A quick google however shows the other vestigial horn, and all becomes clear.

Now he just needs to work out how best to 'monetise' his asset. Good luck to him.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've seen double sets of horns on Jacob sheep but never a single like that. Most unusual Cathy.

A most welcome sight yesterday. I can stop worrying now! More later when I unpack.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is a great way to collect funds - don't miss watching the short video! :smile:
`Swadlincote man, 85, converts mobility scooter into 'tank'' LINK
Eddie Wadsworth is not like other charity collectors. The 85-year-old has converted his mobility scooter into a tank - complete with a gun turret and cardboard rockets. Mr Wadsworth now trundles around Swadlincote, in Derbyshire, playing rousing military music and collecting for the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal. He said he wanted to do something for the charity to repay the kindness he received from the town's branch of the charity when his father John was killed in action in World War Two.'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here are the photo's of the broken collar for my kitchen carousel. First is the broken one from the top deck next to the survivor from the bottom deck.

Here is the repair with copious amounts of Araldite and couple of cable ties to hold it together and provide extra bracing.

I let it dry overnight and then had a bit of filing to do to get it back on the central pole.

When I reassembled, I moved the repaired collar to the bottom deck as that tends to have items of a lighter load. All seems OK and the job wasn't as onerous as I thought it would be. A bit of manoeuvring to get the assembly in and out but not too bad.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That looks as though it should work Ian. Good luck!
How unfit I am after a lay-off in the shed. I shall have to carefully work myself back up to speed.
I got notification my Winter Fuel Payment is on its way, thank you to the Labour government of 1997!

The small size of some of the components in my casting kit! I can see some frustrating moments coming up. I shall endeavour to remain calm and collected.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a lot really, I have reached my tolerance threshold with politics and international affairs. I am living day to day and reacting to local matters. Today it's flu jab, weather and fitting in my daytime sleep. The rest is too much for me...
I am in my comfort zone this morning, cooking and washing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Expecting a parcel with some stuff for the centre. Found a card through the door to say I have missed the delivery! 8.36, lights on curtains open, he could not have knocked very hard. Will be tomorrow now before I can collect. :sad:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Went round to the War Memorial for 11am. A few of the townsfolk gathered but there was no maroon from the Town Council this year as in previous years? We had to call our own start and finish for the two minutes silence which was observed by all present.

They grown not old as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

For those concerned or interested about the Australian Bushfires go to
RFS nsw gov au or RFS qld gov au
or Australian Bushfires news feeds

NSW - State of Emergency - Catastrophic Level.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They're getting well reported here Cathy.You need the cold hard rain we had today!
I was watching reports of the floods in East Yorkshire and have a lot of sympathy with the people downstream from Doncaster who believe that the reason why land has flooded there that has not done so for over 100 years is due to the flood defences upstream sending all the water down to them too fast. Sounds plausible to me and we've seen that happen before. We are fortunate in Barlick, we don't have to deal with anyone else's water, only the run off from the moor.
See THIS BBC report about a narrow escape for a Nottingham teenager who took up vaping to quit smoking. It would appear that it is not as safe as was originally suggested.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

In the USA deaths and illnesses caused by vaping have recently been attributed the additive vitamin C acetate found mainly in the vaping fluids containing cannabinoids. It is a sticky substance which collects in the lungs.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My brother sent me this link just now.
When I was a nursery governess for the Berkeley's Henry was just 3 years old. Spetchley was their summer home where they retreated to escape the "trippers" visiting the castle. I used to have to walk past that suit of armour and other treasures in the dark to get to my bedroom at night, the only light switch for the massive pillared hall was by the front door and the stairs were right at the far end.....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/spet ... 6fc86d4b2e
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I know a few people who vape and smoke cigarettes, they seem to vape twice then have a normal smoke. Seems very strange to me. :dontgetit:
I have nicotine chewies tho , so maybe I should keep my opinions to myself. :cool4:

Spetchly sounds spooky Wendy, was it haunted ?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It wasn't a scary place Cathy, but there was a feeling that past generations were keeping an eye on you! The castle was a different matter, my bedroom in the circular keep was right above the room where Edward 2nd was brutally murdered. From being someone who read late into the night I quickly learnt to dive into my four poster bed, put my head under the covers and go straight to sleep!!

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”