WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

There are people like that about Tiz, but not many that I have encountered. In most cases I have seen an increase in politeness and thought for others.
The fact that we are promised 28C today in Barlick!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

28C Wow. Everyone get out there and soak up all that Vitamin D. :good:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tee shirt walk at 5AM Cathy, no reason to doubt the accuracy of the forecast. You are right, I shall have an easy day and soak up some of the rays!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a planning application submitted by a consortium of big housebuilding companies that proposed the siting of a `water treatment plant' (for a new large residential development) that would put it bang up against the present houses and at the junction of two streams. Councillors complained that it was being submitted now to take advantage of the distraction caused by the covid virus. Hundreds of locals objected to it (including me). It's now been turned down anyway because the developers had failed to provide any suitable access from the road! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Unfortunately Tiz the developers will just go to appeal if that fails they will tweak it slightly and submit it again. Seems to be normal practice now including clearing sites of TPO'd trees that are in the way prior to submitting the application. Anyway that Dominic prat is having a go at the planning rules now so we are truly doomed. The developers will be able to do just what they want.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"that Dominic prat"
Amen to that!
Wearing Birkenstocks for the first time in decades. Susi bought them for me in SF and I have an idea they cost over $40 then, a lot of money.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 02:27 Wearing Birkenstocks for the first time in decades. Susi bought them for me in SF and I have an idea they cost over $40 then, a lot of money.
I just bought a pair of Milano, direct from Birkenstock. I found a 10% off discount code which made them £72. Not massively expensive but then there's not a lot of leather in a pair of sandals :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you seen my plea for help in Jokes Kev? I have an idea you'll know how to do it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 13:06 ...Anyway that Dominic prat is having a go at the planning rules now so we are truly doomed. The developers will be able to do just what they want.
That Dominic prat is having a go at everything, creating disorder and disruption. It's time to bring back that word `anarchist'. :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 09:49 It's time to bring back that word `anarchist'
I've seen it argued that some degree of anarchy, but not the total chaos variety, is better than a dictator or extreme Right-wing / left-wing governments. Trump and Stalin spring to mind. Noam Chomsky has written extensively on the subject, Here is a short extract.

While anarchism may not be 100 percent focused on dismantling the current system, it would be disingenuous to say that that is not a fundamental tenet. In a 2013 interview, Chomsky explained how he sees anarchism and its role:

"Primarily, [anarchism] is a tendency that is suspicious and skeptical of domination, authority, and hierarchy. It seeks structures of hierarchy and domination in human life over the whole range, extending from, say, patriarchal families to, say, imperial systems, and it asks whether those systems are justified. Their authority is not self-justifying. They have to give a reason for it, a justification. And if they can't justify that authority and power and control, which is the usual case, then the authority ought to be dismantled and replaced by something more free and just. And, as I understand it, anarchy is just that tendency. It takes different forms at different times."
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our hot water service went bust yesterday.
Bird baths this morning, after boiling the kettle. Awaiting the plumber...
We knew we were on borrowed time with the old hot water service anyway, so it is not such a shock, but we may have to bird bath until next week. Can anyone get anything done on a Friday? (our plumber is a lovely chap...but he is soooo slow at responding to calls)
We nicknamed our old hot water system "Mad Max", because it looks like something out of Mad Max. I shall take a photo..
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another pair of sandals surfaced yesterday. I bought these off a bloke making them on the side of the road 40 years ago in Venice, LA for $15. So 40 year old sandals and 84 year old feet. Both lasting well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Your feet look a bit swollen to me. Likely it is the heat.
Here is Mad Max...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problems with feet Maz.
Mad Max.... Good Grief woman! In my professional opinion it has reached its sell by date and could have been replaced a long time ago.Good luck with the plumber. Here in the backwards UK I would just ring British Gas and they would arrive in short order, quite possibly the same day. Has it passed its annual inspections?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We don’t have annual inspections here, though Mad Max has seen a plumber at least once a year for the last six years we have lived here. Every time we think he has died, the plumber revives him! But this time we are replacing him, through a private plumber ( we are on bottled gas as there is no mains gas where we live so no “gas board” involved).
The first time the plumber saw him, we wondered if Mad Max was actually safe, but he found our worried looks very amusing. Mad Max has no power connected and ignites himself only from the pressure of water running through him when a hot tap is turned on. He really has been a brilliant work horse.
Our new one will be connected to electricity, and we have had the proper point put in in readiness.
New one gets installed tomorrow £750.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I've just received a new gas heater to supply the hot water in our latest apartment. 24 kW, 12 litres per minute output, constant water temperature and all the latest technology, guaranteed 6 years, 61.25 GBP, parts required for fitting and extending exhaust, 9.65 GBP, and installation by me NIL - I get no pay :sad:

When my mate visited us from Australia he took 2 of these back home with him.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So how many bathrooms would that do? ( a family sized house?).
Our “castle” may be bigger than your apartment, and we are two storey.
Our new water heater will still be on bottled gas, just have an electric starter...apart from that, I can’t tell you any more specifications because the Master ordered it without discussion. We aren’t allowed to instal anything like that here and will be handed a certificate of compliance afterwards. ( very strict laws here about gas and electricity. No DIY! )
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, ask Febby when is Australia due to switch all domestic boilers over to hydrogen gas fuel? :extrawink:

There was a thought-provoking radio interview with Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby this morning discussing whether or not churches should take down statues and plaques of people who had involvement in things like slavery. He made the point that people are being too concerned about repentance and not enough about forgiveness. Also that we should keep them there to remind us that we must not repeat the errors. If we take them down we are making it easier for those would say these things never happened.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 06:29 So how many bathrooms would that do? ( a family sized house?).
Our “castle” may be bigger than your apartment, and we are two storey.
That's enough capacity to heat your moat in winter! :biggrin2: You can have one in every bathroom at that price.
24 kW is about 82000 Btu/h in old money.

You are right there are no rules to stop me fitting it, but we are subject to gas inspections annually. High buildings with multi-occupancy need to be safe!

Generally accepted figures are as follows: hot water (approx 110f/ 43C for domestic use) from a non-storage supply to sinks is required at 5 l/minute, baths 13 lpm, showers 10 lpm. Many factors are involved such as the ambient temperature of the incoming water supply.

12 litres a minute is enough for a small family, say 4 people. 7 litres per minute is common in China for a family of 3.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My brew went cold! Too busy firefighting the spammer who was sprinkling the site with c.... Good job I don't mind cold tea. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tiz...we don’t even have mains gas here yet...2 hours South of the city!
We don’t even have a train that comes here. We do have a twice daily bus service.
We are “trapped in time” ( apart from fantastic underground broadband internet). Just a quaint seaside village in all other regards, but with great health care and hospital. Great for retirees, but really quite boring here. Shopping isn’t great. Three supermarkets.
We do have two electric car recharge points that I know of.
And about 5 pubs. Plenty of Bed and Breakfasts, Seaside rentals, caravan park, fish and chips, ice cream shop, a Chinese food shop, Indian food and about 3 pizza outlets. Plus McDonalds hamburgers. ( and a van on the seafront that sells anything with “wurst” at the end of it - as in Bratwurst, Metwurst etc.) think we may have fairy floss too.
We have Camel rides on the beach, mini golf AND Clydesdale horses to pull a tram out across the jetty to an island.
Hydrogen will come, in about 20 years.
Until then, we remain an old fashioned holiday destination.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, thanks. The unseen work that you put in to keep us all happy and safe.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

New hot water service, 20L continuous flow, 15 YEAR WARRANTY, £700 installed.
Towel over me shoulder and I am off for a bath.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was quicker than you thought you old pessimist! Glad you're sorted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It's the bees knees, enjoy it!

:good:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”