WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Wendyf »

Despite the wintry state of our track we had 2 Amazon deliveries today. Colin orders quite a lot from Amazon and has a Prime account but he tries to organize deliveries so they arrive on one day. It rarely works, hence two separate deliveries on the same day. The first one arrived and departed successfully, the second one arrived just as I had collected the ponies and was walking back up the track, the dog was out running loose and and has little traffic sense! Anyway, we all survived but the Amazon van got well stuck. He had low profile, almost bald tires and no towing hook or reversing skills.... Col came out and tried to help which put him at risk in many ways! I had nightmares of the Amazon van blocking the track overnight but eventually Col got him backed up enough to be able to take a run up towards the barn with space to turn around. Phew, lots of mud churned up where he got off the track but never mind. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No holding Col back is there.... Glad all ended well. Nothing specific has grabbed me yet, just the cliff edge bearing down on us....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We could see the snow on Exmoor for a couple of days. It's melted away now but there'll probably be more on Wednesday. Rain is more of a problem. People who have lived here all their lives are saying that they've never seen the streams so full. Not only full but they're the colour of milk chocolate from all the silt they carry. Too much ploughing of fields and lack of sumps to collect the water and allow deposition of the silt. All that lovely silty earth and nutrients being lost from the fields and contaminating and blocking the waterways and drains!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can remember when I was a lad looking at the muddy colour of the Mersey running through Stockport and wondering how long it would take to wash everything into the sea. (I was that sort of a lad!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I spent £1.35 on a copy of The Leader Times, the replacement for the Barlick and Earby Times. Waste of money. No proper local news, only one letter. In short, I can't see any reason why anyone should buy it. They've certainly delivered on one of their promises, there is no nostalgia, problem is there is no journalism either. I shall not be buying another.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I heard a few fireworks yesterday evening but certainly not woken up by any at 11pm.
I was in bed and hard asleep by 20:15.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You're lucky, it was constant bangs and whooshes here from about 9.00pm and then a crescendo at midnight. The most fireworks we've heard for years. Fortunately it wasn't too close, probably more going on in the middle of town. Must be where the Brexiteers live! :extrawink:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sent to me by a friend:

In the year 870 AD the Battle of Englefield raged and today is the 1150th Anniversary of the Battle.
Having entrenched themselves in their new camp in Reading, the invading Viking army sent out a raiding party to attack Aldermaston as it was the country estate of the Ealdorman, Sheriff of Berkshire. Ealdorman Aethelwulf received word of their approach, through Tilehurst and across Little Heath, and marched out to engage them at Englefield. One assumes the battle took place on the high ground at or near where the present Englefield House stands. The Vikings were thoroughly defeated but their main army continued to hold Reading. The parish of Englefield is supposedly named after the battle and the men who fell there: ‘The Englishmen’s Field’.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never heard of it China but I found THIS.
Peter, commiserations and yes you must be right, more Brexiteers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Chinatyke, I've been wanting to ask you this. When the covid outbreak started China had an almost immediate very strict lockdown, much more so than in most other countries. It worked well and the country quickly returned to a near normal state. Lockdowns in other countries have had a severe effect on the economy, on business and on individuals (both financial and mental). How have the Chinese fared through your more extreme lockdown. Has it had devastating effects? Did businesses have to close? Were workers given furlough money as here? How were lives changed?
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

The Chinese imposed extreme measures to combat what was an unknown risk at that time. Or was it unknown? This response came at Chinese New Year which is when the World's largest migration normally occurs. The whole country was subject to travel restrictions and tourist visas for foreigners to enter China were suspended, and still are. I've no doubt that there must have been a huge impact on the country's finances but money and resources seemed to be unlimited to support these measures. This is the People's Republic of China and the citizens obey the directives of their government, and the government acts on the people's behalf and is respected by them.
I can't answer your questions because I live in an insulated bubble relying on my own resources and I just don't know what assistance was given to businesses and individuals, but many large businesses belong to the state anyway. Many small businesses did close and not reopen, but small businesses are continually starting up and failing so I didn't notice any change in the pattern. The news on TV appears to be accurate and optimistic, but of course the TV company is state owned.
What immediately struck me was how thorough the response was by the Chinese government to get the outbreak under control and how poor was the response by other countries. The high percentage death rate in the UK was, and still is, particularly noticeable, which is at odds with the UK claiming to have one of the best health systems in the World. I know where I would rather be.
Personally, my lifestyle has seen little impact except for not being able to travel freely to international destinations. Local travel is not a problem and there is an unobtrusive track and trace system in operation in big cities like Nanning where we visit frequently. I have experienced no negativity because I am a foreigner.
Where I live has returned to normal, with the occasional mask in sight, but masks are still compulsory on trains.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that detailed reply. Clearly, other countries, including the UK, need to up their game. You question at the start of your reply whether it was a known or unknown risk. I don't believe the conspiracy theories bandied about by Trump and the social media gangs but China did have the advantage of the research already being done at the Wuhan Virology Institute and the lady there who is an expert on coronaviruses in wild animals. A British researcher and his team have worked with her for many years and he's made frequent visits to the Institute and says that all the necessary precautions were adhered to in the Institute. With her experience they would have quickly identified the virus infection occurring among humans at the wet market but I expect the government tried to keep it quiet and thought they could prevent it spreading elsewhere. At least when they realised the story was out they then acted very quickly with the lockdown and closing borders etc. In the UK we were still allowing people to enter the country for months after that and it's no wonder we're in such a mess.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good post China, thank you. I am afraid that both of you are right, China may seem to be repressive to us but it does give them advantages when dealing with a situation like the pandemic. We in the the UK have handled it badly, the politicians because they were always looking at what the voters would put up with and the voters because a large percentage of them are not in the habit of thinking and acting rationally. Look at the ones who allegedly travelled to France for a rave in a warehouse!
As for what we face now, we don't yet know the size of the rabbit as the effects of Xmas and New Year mixing haven't hit us yet but the signs are not good. Remember when we were protesting about hospital closures and capping nurses wages? The removal of training bursaries for nurses and midwives? The restrictions on foreign medical staff coming into the country as official or unofficial migrants. It's time some questions were asked and answered!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The more liberal democracies may now be forced to become more authoritarian and exert closer control over their populations, partly to make us more resilient and able to cope with what will probably be an increasing frequency of pandemics but also to prevent us becoming more vulnerable to repressive regimes which could unleash novel diseases on the world, having already developed and manufactured the antidote. It's a dystopian view of the future but quite possibly correct.

To lighten the mood, take a lookat this...
`India's love affair with classic British motorbikes' LINK
`Classic British motorbike maker BSA announced last month the brand was being revitalised under its Indian billionaire owner, continuing a growing trend. Another famous British bike brand - Norton - was taken over by an Indian firm earlier this year with equally ambitious growth plans. They follow in the footsteps of the historic Royal Enfield, which is enjoying success under new Indian ownership. Business experts are not surprised: Indian manufacturers are known for liking to buy into well-known but struggling brands in the hope of turning them around. Indian billionaire Anand Mahindra has said he hopes to "resurrect the British motorbike industry" with a plan to build electric motorcycles in the UK under the BSA brand. The Mahindra group wants to start assembling motorbikes in Birmingham by the middle of 2021..'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck to them, we threw in the towel far too easily!
This grabbed my attention as I was trawling the archive for a pic.

I posted it in Jokes as well. I wonder who could have done that?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Me I am afraid. I always see the boys as a couple of Larrikins. A couple of delightful con artists. They have been together longer than some married couples and I am sure they have a silent dialogue.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:laugh5: :laugh5: Nice one Maz.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`New £5 coin to mark Queen's 95th birthday' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A phone call from a British Gas agent who I am afraid was not in perfect control of the English Language. I eventually ascertained that he was calling to tell me that my service appointment for this afternoon has been postponed until the morning of February 25th. Deep Joy. No reason given why.
What happened then was that he further followed his script and asked if I was self-isolating, infected with Covid19 or shielding. I had to point out to him that shielding didn't mean I had Covid, just that I was shielding against it. Eventually he accepted this but then advised me to stay at least 2 metres from other people. I told him that I didn't need advice from British Gas on how to avoid infection and asked if that was the end of our business.
Whoever has written the script for these agents has not done his or her homework!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Clap for Heroes to return during lockdown, really? Is it just me? I find it insulting, give them a bloody pay rise instead. Most of these people are paid minimum wage, a round of applause won't put food on their table...
BBC News
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kev, I'm with you on that but also because I've spoken up for the NHS all my life and now I see people who've never shown any support or even denigrated the NHS want me to clap my hands. What makes it even worse is that if you don't show willing you'll be `cancelled'. Grrrh! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The first consequences of Brexit? My Morrisons order just arrived. It was a drama of course - most things I do degenerate into one. I'll tell you about one day. :smile:

Anyway -they failed to deliver
1. Morrisons 25% Balsamic Vinegar for cold dishes
2. Morrisons Balsamic glaze.

Bought as an indulgence, and in a vain attempt to go a bit upmarket. Failed. :smile:

Italy can't be totally cut off as I got the spaghetti, and the tomato sauce.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's why I walk to the Co-op and get my own David.
Exactly the same reaction here to the daft 'Clap for Heroes'. scheme. I agree with all of you. I actually shouted at the radio when I heard that. Pay the carers and nurses a proper wage. Re-institute bursaries during training for nurses and midwives. Give carers and ward nurses the same PPE as theatre staff within reason, don't palm them off with the cheapest masks. Stop charging them for parking nation wide for good. Give them the respect they deserve in the community.
Daughter Susan is coming to give my feet a treat!
Later. Now I know why my service visit was cancelled. See THIS BBC report on the strike of key staff which starts today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 15:50 Clap for Heroes to return during lockdown, really? Is it just me? I find it insulting, give them a bloody pay rise instead. Most of these people are paid minimum wage, a round of applause won't put food on their table...
BBC News
Think it was the BBC website that reviewed the Papers and headlined "The Clap's Back". I am afraid I thought of something completely different

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”