WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Wendyf »

Chicken & fennel with a creamy, cheesy sauce, green beans and broccoli.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I had some kallettes with my tea. Never heard of them till the last few days on here, and found them in Lidl temptingly reduced by 60% a packet. Sadly, news of this bargain did not make it to the checkout so I paid the full price, and didn't notice till I got home. Now, I like veg, but found them really full on - good luck trying to get kids to eat them. :smile: I put a squirt of mayonnaise on them which improved the matter.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:biggrin2: hard-core brassica!!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 18:25 :biggrin2: hard-core brassica!!
I was trying to be kind to them, but that's nearer the mark - in fact if anything it understates it a bit. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's a big bag to get through as well, took the two of us three days to eat our way through it! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sounds as though I'd like them. Cooked veggies yesterday, roasted a chicken and made stuffing with the cider gravy. Scotch egg and veggies for dinner and chicken and stuffing butties on wholemeal teacakes for tea then a very small slice of apple pie.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Beef Patties, Mashed Potato, Carrot, Peas and Cauliflower Cheese.
The Cauliflower Cheese was an after-thought. Having visitors over Easter so I made a batch of Cauliflower Cheese for the freezer...and made a bit too much, so we shall polish off the extra tonight.
I've got my meal plan sorted for the 4 days of having guests. I always feel so much more relaxed when I have a plan. It takes away all the stress...
LizG

Post by LizG »

Peri-peri chicken (yes, addicted now thank you Maz), and rainbow slaw.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: lovely to hear from you, Liz.
( I sprinkled a bit of "the good stuff" in my Beef Patties too. :biggrin2: )

The only thing I think we don't agree on is tinned Potatoes. (To me) they have a dreadful smell and flavour. Have tried rinsing them well, but the taste does not suit us. Can pick them by the smell before you taste them... Horrid!
LizG

Post by LizG »

I think it depends on the brand and the preservatives they use in the tins. I don't use them any more either. I just microwave 'real' spuds instead if we have power in the van, if not we do without. I carry snow peas and asparagus with us in the fridge. I just pour boiling water in them for a couple of minutes before serving. Instant green veg.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I quite like tinned new pots, Perhaps Smedley have the process just right. (Or I have no sense of taste!)
Straight veggies for dinner, Chicken butty and apple pie for tea.
I have an update..... I did something entirely out of character this morning. yesterday I dismembered the chicken carcass and noted that I had cooked it slightly less thoroughly than usual. Thinking about what is coming up over the next fortnight there is no way I am going to take the slightest risk of allowing anything to attack my health and well-being. I listened to my voices and this morning I have binned all the remaining chicken. Possibly over the top and unnecessary but this way I know I am safe. I don't like waste but I just have an uncomfortable feeling and this way I know I am safe.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Straight veggies plus the sage and onion stuffing (Which I made separately so I have no doubts about it.) for dinner and tea with cheddar on oatcakes at teatime for afters.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I keep eyeballing the fridge and pantry, trying to decide if I have fully considered our Easter visitors. I am pretty sure we are right, but it is "the kids with big appetites" visiting and we have small ( very small) appetites compared to them. Don't want to look stingy. Can't have folk going hungry. Might wander down to the supermarket and buy a few more items tomorrow. My biggest fear is extra unexpected visitors that take needs to another level...even if it is just one lunch time. (Better buy bread....though we don't eat bread, as a general rule, unless it is wrapped around a barbequed sausage when camping)
It could happen. Must be prepared :geek:
( one of the disadvantages of living at a beachside holiday destination...unexpected visitors!)
Always a pleasure to see folk, don't get me wrong, but nice to feel you can cater for them too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could always send them to the chippy.....
Straight veggies again X two for dinner and tea and cheddar and biscuits.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Chippy wouldn't be open Good Friday or Easter Sunday.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Just make sure there is enough for tomorrow Maz. Shops are open again on Saturday.

I do the same as you and always end up with things I can't eat, like cheese and dips; I give it to visitors to take home. You were making some great bread if I remember. If you have all the ingredients ready everyone will think you are so clever. Enjoy your family time.

We went out for lunch today so pretty much nothing at all for dinner here tonight.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I haven't made bread for ages.
I just wish there was one universal meal for a crowd. Our family consists of vegetarians, fussy teenagers, gluten intolerant, carnivores, salad haters, seafood lovers and haters, carb lovers and haters, and one who can not tolerate chilli or pepper, pasta lovers and haters, one who will not eat anything containing onion,...( and ourselves who can't eat garlic).
I get a bit beside myself trying to make sure everyone gets something they can eat. :laugh5:
Remember the old days when you could throw a quiche and salad on the table, a plate of Kabana and Cheese, some crusty bread, sauce, and possibly a homemade pizza and little party pies? Job done! Arrange it all around a cream filled sponge cake with strawberries on top and everyone was happy. Too difficult nowadays..

It's getting to the point where you serve a meal and expect to need an ambulance on standby in case somebody has an allergic reaction and their faces swell, lips split, eyes puff shut, or they stop breathing!
I think it will get to the stage where they all need to bring their own packed lunch and eat with rubber gloves, sat on a chair wiped with sterile cloths.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Sounds like you need to initiate a 'bring a plate of something you can eat'. We have someone in our family who 'couldn't' eat gluten. Turned out it was just because it was trendy, not for any health reason. She gave it up because she got sick of watching other people enjoying food!!
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Most of it is just trends.
yet all of them eat out, eat fast foods and takeaways, without questioning what spices/herbs/additives etc are in it.
We do have one young lad who is easy to please, as all he ever eats is Cheese Sandwiches! So he is welcome any time... :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday I had the last of the veggies for dinner and tea.
I have a different problem than you the next week Maz. I shall have to think about my butcher's trip and veggie shopping because I am eating a main meal out three times this week with all the celebration dinners and the wedding. I can see a week of muesli and nibbles looming!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Steak pudding and mushy peas for dinner and another steak pudding with broth bits for tea. There are going to be a lot of ad hoc meals like this this week! My first banquet is on Sunday!
Listening to Farming Today I have discovered that I am technically a 'Flexitarian'. Have a look at this LINK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had Scotch Egg and veggies for dinner. Visitors at teatime so I forgot my tea, ended up by nibbling a cold Scotch egg and filling up with a bag of crisps and nuts with an apple for pudding. Tonight is the blow out at the Jade Palace.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:17 I haven't made bread for ages.
I just wish there was one universal meal for a crowd. Our family consists of vegetarians, fussy teenagers, gluten intolerant, carnivores, salad haters, seafood lovers and haters, carb lovers and haters, and one who can not tolerate chilli or pepper, pasta lovers and haters, one who will not eat anything containing onion,...( and ourselves who can't eat garlic).
I get a bit beside myself trying to make sure everyone gets something they can eat. :laugh5:
Remember the old days when you could throw a quiche and salad on the table, a plate of Kabana and Cheese, some crusty bread, sauce, and possibly a homemade pizza and little party pies? Job done! Arrange it all around a cream filled sponge cake with strawberries on top and everyone was happy. Too difficult nowadays..

It's getting to the point where you serve a meal and expect to need an ambulance on standby in case somebody has an allergic reaction and their faces swell, lips split, eyes puff shut, or they stop breathing!
I think it will get to the stage where they all need to bring their own packed lunch and eat with rubber gloves, sat on a chair wiped with sterile cloths.
Be like the restaurant owner who recently told his diners it was an eating establishment not a doctor's surgery!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

China...we are just crawling in to bed after Day 3 of visitors....and I swear... I've never done so many constant rounds of dish washing in my life. I am exhausted
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 11:39 China...we are just crawling in to bed after Day 3 of visitors....and I swear... I've never done so many constant rounds of dish washing in my life. I am exhausted
You have my sympathy. Paper plates, plastic cups and disposable cutlery are the answer! I hope the fun of having visitors more than makes up for your hard work.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”