Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Wendyf »

Creamy fish pie topped with cauli mash and served up with steamed mange tout and purple sprouting broccoli from the garden. Thank you Colin!

SPR676

Post by SPR676 »

SPR676 wrote: 08 May 2018, 23:59 5-Ingredient Dinner viewtopic.php?f=144&t=14730
Same last night. But I should say with chopped onions instead of sliced and no salad.
Russ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh all right, I'll give the bloody rice to Susan!
I've loaded the liver and onions with peas and veggies. I had it X to yesterday for dinner and tea and had ice cream for pudding.
Kev, I like my steak puddings and there is so little pastry on them I allow myself the luxury. Do I have to stop eating everything I like? My blood sugar isn't that critical.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Of course it is! Especially if you want to keep your good health. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 21 May 2018, 01:58 My blood sugar isn't that critical.....
Entirely your choice, I was just pointing out that steak pudding will have a relatively high carbohydrate content. Between 35 - 40g of an individual (200g) pudding will be carbs, add that to the 14g per 100g for the apple and it soon starts mounting up. Just saying...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Homemade Red Salmon Patties, Steamed Veg ( Carrots/Sprouts/Peas/Broccoli/Potato), with Avocado and a White Herbed Sauce.
I never manage to eat all my meal these days, but I did enjoy what I ate...a bit of everything.
I have recently lost 4 kilos, and for ME, the answer seems to be just pushing the plate away once I've had enough. I still have days when I want more food than other days. I just go with how I feel. If I am not hungry, I eat very little. Don't be ruled by the clock. Eat when you are hungry. Don't eat because you are bored or stressed.

Granted, I do not have Diabetes...
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

When you get to our age - a little bit of what you fancy does you good - we need a treat sometimes.
Say only a little but say it well.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Absolutely Moh!
I still have to think about what I cook because hubby has Diabetes. He was "pre-diabetic" for about 15 years and is only now in the low Diabetic range of Blood Sugar readings (diet controlled and no medication required). So we must be doing something right to keep him stable this long. We eat a lot of Veg and a lot of Salad...not big meat eaters...and stay away from bread and sweet foods. We dont do puddings or cakes or desserts.
We both enjoy Red Wine, but dont go over-board on it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Moh! I agree with you but of course my persecutors are quite right as well, I need them to keep nagging me to make sure I am behaving myself! I had straight veggies twice yesterday for dinner and tea and just an apple for pudding.
Kev, you're right but an apple a day keeps the doctor away!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You can't live on veg alone Stanley! Make sure you get protein and fat on a daily basis.
I wouldn't nag at Stanley if he didn't want to cut his carb intake, and it's only a few days since he declared his intention to get back on track.
There is increasing evidence that damage is starting to be done when blood sugar levels are slightly raised. Stanley's raised protein level in his urine is a sign of possible damage to his kidneys and it's not too late to turn things around!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're absolutely right Wendy and I value your advice as you know. Don't worry, I am getting enough protein and fat. To be honest with you I was getting careless, too many treats! I am restricting them to nuts and pork scratchings......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

When I'm at the library on a Wednesday I have a brown bread roll filled with egg mayo from Oddies. I do enjoy it but in the afternoon I have cravings for more food which I don't usually have. My treats are nuts, olives, cheese, dark chocolate, strong coffee and red wine.
Col buys a bag of sugar free toffees each week and we are allowed two each evening.....I sneak the odd one during the day though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We all need to satisfy our urges every now and again. That's why I occasionally allow myself an egg butty on teacake or oven bottom. It isn't the end of the world! Think back to the days when I baked my own bread and loved it.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col is experimenting with baking different low carb loaves. The best so far is a mix of soya and nut flours with seeds, it's a bit "cakey" but gives us something to pile butter and cheese on! Lidl have stopped producing their high protein rolls which he has bought for the last 2 years, the low carb community is in revolt!!
Most supermarkets now sell high protein loaves which are lower in carbs than most bread.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We buy sugar free sweets from the chemist. They have a big range, but, after sampling, we only like two of the range in that brand ( Expresso Coffee and the other is Butterscotch flavour). Gosh they are nice, and the Expresso Coffee ones are very hard to get hold of, so I buy 3or 4 bags at a time if I spot them. Not cheap, but no horrible aftertaste ( no saccharin) so we deem them nice as they are creamy hard toffee. Don't have them every day, and when we have one it is still a treat, so we don't need another one. Mostly we have one each in the car or van if on a long drive. ( they have 11 calories each).
"Aura" brand. Very, very nice. ( and the Expresso Coffee ones give you a little "lift". )
If I can't find the Expresso Coffee ones, I buy the Butterscotch, and they are lovely too, but I don't bother with the rest of the range. I shall take a pic, as I have a pack in the pantry.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I tell a fib. I think the Butterscotch ones have 16 calories.
But one is enough and very satisfying.....
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We get plain Devon toffee or chocolate eclairs. You can get Werthers butterscotch in a sugar free version, but I think they would be much too yummy! Never consider calories anymore. :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I don't have any Coffee ones to check carbs, but the Butterscotch ones are 0.03g carbs per sweet.
And I estimate they cost about 20p per sweet. They come in a pack of 15...and somehow they tend to last a week between the 2 of us, but I suspect hubby had the lions share as I enjoy them but am not bothered with sweet things.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll check the high protein bread out but am not too serious about it.

Maz sent this pic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: Maz sent three pics, Stanley...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh dear.... Will one do?
Had liver onions and veggies X 2 with cheese and oatcakes for afters at teatime.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No problem, Stanley.
Lasagne tonight at ours...
SPR676

Post by SPR676 »

Last night: The choice of either Australian beef and Merlot with vegetables in puff pastry, or parmesan crusted chicken breast with a tomato, cheese and smoked ham filling. Both with spinach and ricotta potato gratin.

Tonight: Macaroni and cheese.
Russ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Gosh...what did you choose, Russ?
I only did the Lasagne this morning because we were out this afternoon and I knew we would home late. So nice to shove the Lasagne in the oven, and steam some veg, whilst we sat and enjoyed a glass of wine in front of TV. I absolutely hate having to stand and cook after a busy day. Too many years spent working all day and having to come home and cook. Now I have the luxury of forward planning....

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”