WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Stanley »

Surprised me as well Sue. I chucked some coal on the fire and toasted my toes while I had a smoked mackerel butty with milk chocolate for pudding! (We all need comfort food every now and again!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Lunch was to be leek and potato soup from out of the freezer. Looks and tastes remarkably like cauliflower cheese to me though!!!!Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Am I alone in wondering whether , in order to be considered for the post of "Moderator" on this site , one must develop a taste for interesting food....Viz. "Smoked Mackerel with milk chocolate " and ....extremely lumpy leek and potato soup that doesn't taste of leeks ...or potatoes either .?....
(;-}>
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The criteria for being a moderator include being a masochist. Therefore strange combinations of food follow as night follows day. Put vintage marmalade in stews I say!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I must admit the cauli cheese with a slice of bread was a real change and a likely improvement on leek and spud.
Now for porridge with Marmite for breakfast. Nolic
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've always thought that cauliflower cheese was something you had as part of a meal - not as a meal. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

NOT PORRIDGE please NOT porridge. I hate it. I don't like its taste, its texture or washing up after it. In fact I don't. If you eat it in my house you make it and tidy up after it. YUK!
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry sue, I'm voting for the porridge. I like it so thick you can stand your spoon up in it, full of gluten which is good for you. Mind you, I do think Nolic is a bit weird shoving Marmite on it but that's probably a throw back to his Norse heritage, that lot eat some fairly disgusting stuff.
Ian
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I also have Norse heritage never heard of putting marmite on your porridge? I like mine with a generous spoonful of honey.

As for the cauliflower cheese I had a recipe where you boiled the cauliflower, then placed it in a oven proof dish, in a separate pan fry mushrooms, onions, chopped bacon and the option of peppers Pour over the cauliflower add the cheese sauce and then using a packet of crushed potato crisps and some grated cheese sprinkle over the cheese sauce put in the oven until the grated cheese and crisps brown and become a crusty top. Eat with brown bread absolutely delicious a complete meal in one.

Tonight we are having smoked haddock and rice get fed up of potato and veg.

Eileen
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

The Marmite was a jocular response to Bradder's post. I'd only eat Marmite if I was starving.

I like my porridge same as Ian. 1part oats, 1 part water, 1part milk and water and a good pinch of salt then microwaved in a glass container so that you don't have a messy clean.
I then have it with fruit and a fat free yoghurt.
I like your way of doing cauli cheese Eileen. Must try it sometime .....does it work with leek and spuds too? Nolic
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sorry ,but porridge is the only food that I actually heave on. ( except maybe raw oysters which I have never had but never fancied!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

With you on oysters Sue but agin on porridge. Depends on how poor and hungry you are!
Cheese and tomato butty for tea, nice change and a lovely taste. Tomatoes were vine and surprisingly tasty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Nolic

Don't know about the leek and potato have put mixed veg in and it tastes fine. Leek and potato is great as soup though. The recipe for cauliflower cheese savoury came of a packet of golden wonder crisps it's yummy!

Eileen
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Roast chicken last night with my homegrown sprouts carrots and oasnips. Stuffing from last years sage, frozen last autumn before it died back due to frosts which can be harsh in Brittany.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plain tomato butty on home made bread with Heinz salad cream. Very refreshing..... Taste of summer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I've just got a portion of what I hope is sweet and sour chicken out of the freezer for lunch. Memo to self and wife, remember to label leftovers that go in the freezer. Nolic
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Two things that made me smile about last Saturday's 90th Birthday Party for Nurse Blomfield (she was the local practice nurse for decades)...
Firstly , Mum complained at Morrison's checkout , that their selection of 90th Birthday cards.... " is very poor . In fact , this is the only one I could find with 90 on it "......!
Secondly , I was invited to go round and cook curry for our neihbours (with whom we shared a table)...
....so ....yesterday Old Bradders' special chicken and spinnach was prepared and left to fester. (always better on day two)
.....and....this evening it will be consumed with great glee, on my part , as I'm not allowed to cook Indian at home .Yippee !
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Last night, a bowl of green/brown lentils with bits of carrot, celery and kale through it, and sliced, roasted pork fillet on top. A chicken and pepper casserole tonight (lots of peppers), with steamed cauli. Pasta with beans and kale tomorrow

MOT for me a fortnight back and I have very high cholesterol. Hence, meals like that. No more of my favourite cuts - oxtail, shin, lamb neck - well, only in real moderation. Butter, pork chops with more fat 'n meat? Cheese? Oh well.

Still, love cooking me so a chance for lots of new base recipes.

Richard Broughton
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

High cholesterol me too. But it's always been high not quite in double figures yet. My old doctor said it was naturally high heredity from Scandanavia (Viking) it seems that they have high cholesterol. He also told me how they come up with the averages and why they are different depending on where you live. It would seem that the people who are not indiginous to our shores have there own blood disorders but don't have cholesterol. Some Mediterranean's have Thalassemia, which we don't get, some black people get sickle cell, Asians also get blood disorders but although we are not included in there averages they are all included in ours on cholesterol. How fair is that?

The old doctor no longer with us said everything in moderation.

The new doctor wants to put me on statins, no chance not with all the side effects so I too am on a very boring diet and taking plant sterol, and walking whenever possible. Blood pressure normal and triglycerides borderline. No one in my family for generations have had heart problems and cholesterol was never heard of 40 years ago so wouldn't know if they had it. Do know doctors get £40 per head for prescribing statins though so call me synical! My mother died of old age at 95 and wasn't taking any medication and never had done, didn't even have the flu jab. She walked a lot and ate a balanced diet with not much red meat and didn't drink alcohol at all. So I am trying her recipe for a healthy diet.

I have never ate a lot of red meat anyway.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, sounds like your old Doc was in my camp. I just go on two things, how do I feel and what my weight is. I have the BP figures of a sixteen year old despite ignoring all the warnings about cholesterol and saturated fat. I eat them and walk them off. I see the doc on Monday for annual assessment. There will be no change, I am not going to be a slave to 'average' figures.
Two meat pies for tea last night. There's healthy for you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for that Stanley

I once said too the old doctor life isn't worth living without the odd meat pie he said everything in moderation and his favourite meal was egg and chips. He had never had his cholesterol checked but said it was the NHS that put it into the MOT. My old doctor was the son of the doctor who delivered me many moons ago.

As I said I will watch what I eat and exercise and to this tonight for tea it's finney haddock not only good for me but I like it. No Statins perhaps we should start a campaign.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, my doc proposed I should go on them and I think he was surprised by the vehemence of my response. I'm 76 and of course my heart is going to fail! I refuse to let 'science' make me feel afraid.
Rump steak marinaded in Worcestershire sauce for 24 hours then casseroled slowly all day with onions and tomatoes. On a butty at dinnertime and with mashed spuds for tea. Enough left for today if I chuck some frozen peas in it when I warm it up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

A meat pie in each hand = balanced diet.
Note that co-op in hot section have potatoe and meat pie ( at least they are honest on the content proportions )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rump steak bit the dust last night. I have a burger and some sausage to go at so I shall not starve today. Might even have a chip butty Maz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Made a sausage and bean casserole and had some cold on a butty for tea with a banana for pudding. Easy, healthy and I didn't OD! (Cheap as well because Kath gave me the sausage as they were the last of a batch made the day before)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”