WE ARE WHAT WE EAT

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WE ARE WHAT WE EAT

Post by Stanley »

Have a read of THIS BBC report about the 'news' that a restricted liquid only, 'balanced diet' diet can lead to weight loss and a reversal of the diabetes symptoms.
I'm not quite sure what to think about this. I don't think there is anything in this revelation that we didn't know already. The point being who is going to stick to a diet like this? Is this the perfect example of the quick fix trumping proper re-education on diet, exercise and general life style?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This is based on the work of Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University which Dr Michael Moseley adapted to real food and made famous with his 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. Roy Taylor used drinks but only intended it as an experiment to see if it reversed diabetes and it did, like bariatric surgery it works but it doesn't really change lifestyles.
A follow up using real food like Moseley's diet works better because it's an introduction to eating healthy fat, cutting carbs and preventing hunger pangs, but the support needed to follow an 800 calorie diet is huge. People lose large amounts of weight cutting carbs without counting calories and it is sustainable.
Interesting to note that Nestle are making the diet drinks....

On another matter, I've been reading about the huge influence that the Seventh Day Adventists still have over nutritional guidelines all over the world. Temperance is at the root of their vegetarian/vegan message, red meat and dairy being as bad as alcohol. Breakfast cereal manufacturers all over the world, Kellogs for example, were guided by the principles of temperance. In Australia some of the main cereal manufacturers are owned by the Seventh Day Adventists and pay no tax because of charity status. ☺
Conspiracy theory.....possibly but here is the link to an article written by Australian Belinda Fettke, whose orthopaedic surgeon husband Gary was banned from recommending a low carb diet to his diabetic patients.

https://isupportgary.com/articles/the-p ... t-is-vegan
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, nothing quite as chilling as people who are convinced they have the answer from God!
The 19th century abhorrence of 'self-vice' (= masturbation) was very prevalent. That was what Kellogg was hunting down with his corn-flakes for young lads. Some very murky antecedents....
I have a book called 'Man and His Maladies' written by a Bradford doctor at the time and it's worth seeking out because of his weird beliefs, especially on anything connected with sex. These attitudes were common and have no place our more enlightened age. Mind you, the weirdos are still amongst us, it's attitudes like that which drive FGM all over the world.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 09:03
Wendyf wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 08:48 Never tried them sliced Kev. If the are the smaller white ones I would imagine they would cook more quickly but older ones, more swede than turnip, can be quite tough. No idea really! :laugh5:
:laugh5:

I'll do some experimenting :-)
There are quite a few things I have tried and changed, cauliflower pizza base wasn't very successful, I've moved onto pizza omelettes now, much less work.
Diced lamb leg, minced lamb, leeks, a carrot, some peas and 3 thinly sliced turnips.
Mince in the oven at 200c for 30 mins (stir it up every 10 mins)
Thinly slice a couple of leeks and fry in some butter with 4 crushed cloves of garlic, pinch of salt and several 'grinds' of pepper and the thinly sliced carrot.
Put the baked mince in a colander to drain off most of the fat.
Brown the diced lamb and add to the leeks, throw in a big handful of frozen peas. I added a few plugs of Worcestershire sauce.
Line a tagine with some of the turnips and then layer it up with the meat and leeks and sliced turnip, finishing with a layer of leeks.
On with the lid and 90 mins at 150c, off with the lid and brush the top with melted butter, salt pepper and hot paprika.
Back in the oven for another 30 mins.
I served it with thinly sliced Savoy cabbage done with bacon pardons, a splash of extra dry martini and double cream and it was lovely. Turnips make a very good potato replacement and are only 6g per 100g of carbs.
The whole dish could be lower in carbs without the peas and carrot but I like to live dangerously :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It must have been very tasty Kev! Col cooked a steak for us tonight with a mash made from cauli and swede which worked very well.
If you remember the reports a few weeks back about low carb diets not working in the long term, the results of the study have been withdrawn from scientific literature because of data inaccuracies and failure of the main author to declare conflicts of interest. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 19:38 It must have been very tasty Kev! Col cooked a steak for us tonight with a mash made from cauli and swede which worked very well.
If you remember the reports a few weeks back about low carb diets not working in the long term, the results of the study have been withdrawn from scientific literature because of data inaccuracies and failure of the main author to declare conflicts of interest. :smile:
It was delicious, I may even experiment with turnip chips next :good:

I must have missed that report, all I know is this low carb thing works for me :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We must have been doing it for almost 3 years now and you can't be far behind!
Col has just solved a problem with high fasting bg levels first thing in the morning by cutting out an evening snack of a handful or two of nuts. Amazing that such a small thing can make such a difference! The fat and protein in the nuts were giving his liver a means of producing glucose. Now sticking rigidly to a 12 hour fast seems to be working.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Purely by accident I have been having a minimum 12 hour fast every night for years. It's at least 14 hours now and has never caused me any problems.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Fasting doesn't suit me. I need to keep eating otherwise my blood sugar drops too low and I feel faint and my gut starts inflaming due to acid secretion. Biscuits keep me alive! (Sorry if that comment offends the anti-carb lobby. :smile: )
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm not offended by anyone eating carbs Tiz, nor am I part of a lobby! Everyone is different and has their own issues. It's a way of life that works for diabetics and if anyone asks for advice like Stanley did then I'm happy to give it.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 10:33 I'm not offended by anyone eating carbs Tiz, nor am I part of a lobby! Everyone is different and has their own issues. It's a way of life that works for diabetics and if anyone asks for advice like Stanley did then I'm happy to give it.
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And on the whole I follow it Wendy. I am so much better off than Tiz, I can eat anything and my blood sugar seems to be remarkably stable despite the habitual fast every day. Even on a starvation day for an op I never feel hungry or faint. We are all different and have to find our own way.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I didn't aim the anti-carb comment specifically at you Wendy; but there is an anti-carb lobby out there and it reminds me of the anti-fat lobby that got us into so many diet/health problems from the 1960s onwards. It was the drive for low-fat products that ended up with us consuming trans fats.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think you are in any trouble Tiz.... :biggrin2:
One of the problems with nutritional advice, leaving aside the biased and misleading contributions funded by people who are seeking profit, is that there are so many views based on individual experience. This is fine so long as people resist getting too dogmatic and dictatorial like the Vegans and Wendy certainly isn't in that category. I have listened to her, taken note, put her advice into practice and it has worked for me. However, I realise that this will not be the same for everyone. A good example is my diet, it would kill you Tiz but is fine for me because we have different metabolisms. When all the 'experts' have had their say it's down to us to experiment and find what works for us. Problem is that Joe Public is, on the whole, not very good at assessing different arguments and simply latches on to one concept if it's thrown at them often enough. The scandal of the attack on saturated fat is a good example. Most people still believe it is true and it causes untold harm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Targeting chemical signals between the gut and brain could lead to new treatment for obesity
New research published in `The Journal of Physiology' has shed light on how to disrupt chemical signals that affect how much someone eats, which could lead to a method for helping manage obesity. Bariatric surgery has proven to be effective in weight loss; however, the availability, invasiveness and frequent complications of this procedure prevent its wide application. There is a lack of understanding about the underlying molecular mechanisms around obesity and there is growing evidence that targeting the nerve cells involved in sending signals between the brain and gut could provide promising therapies.

The vagus nerve plays an important role in regulating how much food someone eats and their metabolism by communicating between the gut and brain. This new research found that nitric oxide is responsible for decreasing the sensitivity of nerves that send messages from the gut to the brain about how full someone is after a meal. The researchers showed that a specific enzyme (inducible nitric oxide synthase) was increased in obesity, which causes higher levels of nitric oxide. The study involved comparing mice fed a high fat diet with those fed a low fat diet. The researchers looked at the responses of the vagus nerve to normal meal stimulation. They found that in the mice with the high fat diet the nerve cells were less responsive and were less able to generate electrical signals which tell the brain to stop eating. They found the obese mice had an increased presence of nitric oxide, which reduces the sensitivity of the nerves and disrupts the normal chemical signals that would make the mice feel full. By blocking the enzyme that produces nitric oxide with specific drugs the sensitivity of the nerves was increased and normal chemical signals between the brain and gut was resumed.

The significance of these results will help us to better understand how obesity impairs the normal controls on eating, which in turn perpetuates the cycle of overeating and weight gain. The study is limited in that the findings were in animals and not in humans. Furthermore observations made in the lab may not always translate to human subjects. Given that food intake was short lived there may be other mechanisms that take over in obesity that may continue to impair controls on food intake.

The researchers would like to look at what cell types are responsible for releasing excess nitric oxide and see what causes the increase in the obesity to see if the process can be affected before it begins.

Yu Y., Park S. J. and Beyak M.J. (2018) Inducible nitric oxide synthase-derived nitric oxide reduces vagal satiety signalling in obese mice. DOI: 10.1113/JP276894
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting Tiz.... I have often puzzled about how it is I can do a 16 hour fast every day, from 6PM to 10AM usually and not feel hungry. Further, I need very little to totally satisfy me until 16:30 when I usually have my main meal. All I have to do is remember this and weight control is easy. However! What I do is allow my instincts to cook in industrial quantities and my love of nuts for afters to bugger this elegant mechanism! Some sort of psychological influence?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian report on the latest warnings about Nitrites in cured meat. There was a lot to be said for the old-fashioned dry salt cure for bacon which was universal before the advent of 'funny bacon'. The only nitrite we used was a small amount pushed into the area round the joint of the bone in a ham.
Beware of bacon that froths white when you fry it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Telegraph report on sugar intake and obesity. Bang on cue of course after the excesses of Xmas but this report highlights serious situation. We have the highest obesity rates in Europe and sugar intake before 18 years seems to be increasing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't get the sugar problem out of my head. Love of sweetness is so seductive. In former times the main source of the sugar hit required the painful process of robbing a wild bee nest and this effectively curbed our natural desires. We have all been told about the effect of the introduction of sugar on Australian Aborigine tribes but somehow we missed the fact that it could eventually have the same effect on us. The only logical conclusion is to restrict the amount available but it is so much a part of our modern life that this would be impossible. We tried it with hard drugs and look how effective that was! I have always held that the only route is education from very early years. 'Pudding taxes' won't cut it and as long as sugar equals higher sales and profits the manufacturers will do nothing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sugar beet and sugar cane and related sugary plants were around much earlier than food books often tell us. Modern sugar beet cultivation started in Silesia in the mid-1700s but there are records of similar plants used to make sugar in Ancient Egypt. Sugar cane is an Asian plant originally and production of sugar from it is recorded in old Sanskrit texts. In the 8th Century Muslim and Arab traders introduced it to the Mediterranean countries as far as Andalusia and it's said that by the 10th Century every village in Mesopotamia grew sugar cane. I guess that until recent times it was the affordability, rather than availability, that limited people's consumption of sugar. Now we have easy credit the affordability no longer applies to the same extent, hence obesity! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 05:03 I can't get the sugar problem out of my head.
Try this - Sugar consumption and relax a bit. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doiesn't do anything for me David. Despite selective use of statistics the fact remains that we are eating too much and not burning enough off. My sugar, fat and overall calorie consumption has fallen dramatically over the years but so has the amount of energy I burn off. That's the root of the problem and all the statistics in the world won't alter that. As a nation we are digging our graves with knives and forks.
Still, the re-introduction of food rationing after Brexit will help reduce consumption of everything......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The government has probably re-opened and stocked up its old nuclear bunker ready for a no-deal Brexit. The Earth will be inhabited by cockroaches and Tory ministers! (The cockroaches have filed a complaint in advance and have approached J Corbyn to discuss alternative arrangements. The meeting will be behind his shed tonight.) :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Who can say what will happen? I always keep my cupboards well stocked and have made sure they are at an adequate level....
Tiz, cockroaches and some MPs will get on well together.... Similar species.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm puzzled by the newspaper headlines today like this one in the Guardian:
`Blow to low carb diet as landmark study finds high fibre cuts heart disease risk: Review commissioned by WHO says fibre in ‘good’ carbohydrates such as wholegrain bread and oats has protective effect' LINK

I'm not a follower of a low-carb diet but I assume that those who do lower the carbohydrate content of their diet will be reducing the amount of starch they eat but will be at least partly replacing it with nuts, fruits, seeds and vegetables. In which case they will still be eating dietary fibre and perhaps even more than when on their previous diet. So why should this study be `a blow to the low-carb diet'? I think it must be linked to what I've mentioned before about the confusion over the word `carbohydrate'. Dietary fibre is almost all carbohydrate, except for the lignin type compounds found in the outermost layers of seeds, etc. My impression is that `low-carb diet' is a misnomer and that most people on such a diet are really lowering starch and sugars rather than all carbohydrates. To significantly lower the level of all carbohydrates in your diet you would need to eat less of fruits and vegetables because these contain non-starch carbohydrates; and most fruits contain sugars which are also carbohydrates. It looks to me like the journalists got their knickers in a twist! :smile:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”