WE ARE WHAT WE EAT

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WE ARE WHAT WE EAT

Post by Stanley »

It's OK. Properly dried oats don't go off if stored well.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The site my Google search took me to, Hamlyn's don't supply in 10kg bags. It's by the case, 12x 750g or you can buy it in individual pots or sachets, £28.00 for most boxes which includes delivery.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS is where I got mine Ian and I did the old-fashioned thing, I rang them and asked them to quote me for 10kg bag and delivery. There was a choice of grades and I picked medium but they would tell you exactly what it was you were after. Very friendly and personal service.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Your suppliers don't have any stock according to your link. Interested to know why you would buy in one large bag of 10kg rather than a case of smaller bags which must be a better bet for storage. Was there a huge difference in price? I can't tell from your link as the shop is closed due to no stock.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear that. I got the 10kg bag because it was a very good price.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 02:39 If you search for kiln-dried stone-ground oats in Scotland you'll find the mill I got my oats from as they are the only mill with a kiln
The firm I found would be fine Stanley they also grind and have a kiln. Doubt if I will be buying in bulk though, the porridge season is not that long, two or three bags will see me through winter.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Three people who are trying to get the message across that "we are what we eat" gave talks at the British Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation conference this weekend.
Each talk is about 30 minutes and are well worth taking the time to watch...well, I think so anyway! :laugh5:

First of all Dr David Unwin from Southport.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Fd_O42J_JM[/BBvideo]

Second is the engineer, Ivor Cummins.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nqg2ahW5sQ[/BBvideo]

Then cardiologist Aseem Malhotra.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-uPLliMis[/BBvideo]
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the links - I've watched the first one, and he seems very credible. He mentions . maximising income' during his 'lost 25 years'. Is it true that GP's are paid a premium to diagnose and treat T2 diabetes? That would explain a lot. :smile: I also recall a link I put on here a while ago about some Israeli research which showed that people had different reactions to the same carbohydrate foods. Didn't save it though.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The bottom line in any situation like T2 is to ask yourself the question, 'How do I feel?'. I am a great believer in listening to my body.... At the moment it's reporting no problems at all. That'll do me. I'll bet Col feels the same as well.
See THIS for a BBC report on the news that UK eggs are now Salmonella free and you can eat them raw or runny. Welcome news but I have to say I never allowed the ban to spoil my life.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have to disagree with you there Stanley. High blood sugar can do enormous damage which you aren't aware of until it's too late.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But I haven't argued against that Wendy. I agree entirely. That's why I have modified my diet and seen the benefits.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You have Stanley and I admire what you have achieved!
Colin is feeling even more cheerful now he has discovered that drinking a bottle of this before tea appears to keep his bg level stable for a couple of hours after the meal! :surprised:
https://www.classicales.co.uk/Products/ ... lution/66/
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My Mother-in-Law never felt well if her BSL dropped below 10. She swore she felt best when it sat around 12.
( horrifying, but to her, life was more about feeling good than feeling miserable)
She wasn't a drinker, but said her BSL always dropped after a Brandy.
She died quite unexpectedly of Kidney Failure, after a Chest Infection. It was a shock, as she was so full of life, always happy, and ( despite being a poorly controlled T2 Diabetic) and had more "get up and go" than folk half her age. She even remarried in her 70s...not something I would do!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The third video 'Heart Stents, Cholesterol Statins..... Makes the point that statistics are rolled out that very few people understand often comparing one standard against another (apples and pears spring to mind) that give a totally wrong impression. Also that procedures and medication are applied at a point which makes them totally inappropriate. You're on your last legs anyway why take a risk on something that's not going to help you. This doesn't mean that the Doctors are not doing the best for you and are probably working to the guide lines handed down to them. To quote my own case on my recent 'old timers checkup' " I see you are not taking XXXXXXX". No I refused it 15 Years ago. " You have been lucky then" This from an excellent Doctor who is concerned about all the patients. I suppose if I had have been taking XXXXXX would it have gone down as a success instead of lucky?
PS. can someone tell me what a 3% risk over 10 years means? is that 3% each year. ie: 30 % overall or 0.3% each year. Confused.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My hubby has 5 stents, and has had a Triple Bypass.
He takes a massive dose of Statins, even though his Cholestrol has always been low. ( his arteries were blocked by Calcium).
I don't like him taking them, but it's his body and his choice. I think they affect his memory.
His doctor insists he needs a Cholestrol reading of zero!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, perhaps you'd better show him this web page: LINK

`Your Brain Needs Cholesterol'
"Cholesterol is vitally important for brain function. While your brain represents about 2-3% of your total body weight, 25% of the cholesterol in your body is found in your brain, where it plays important roles in such things as membrane function, acts as an antioxidant, and serves as the raw material from which we are able to make things like progesterone, estrogen, cortisol, testosterone and even vitamin D. In fact, in a recent study available on the NIH Public Access site, researchers showed that in the elderly, the best memory function was observed in those with the highest levels of cholesterol. Low cholesterol is associated with an increased risk for depression and even death. This understanding of the important role of cholesterol in brain function raises concern as we now see changes in recommendations for prescribing statin medication. Some estimates indicate that moving forward, the number of individuals taking statins to lower cholesterol in America may actually double! This presents a worrisome proposition for brain health."
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Calcium build up is the major cause of cardiovascular disease, it seems that too much blood sugar is the factor which causes inflammation then calcium builds up around the inflammation and poor maligned cholesterol is sent to deal with the problem! The latest research shows that high cholesterol is protective.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting and informative stuff.
Wendy, tell Col that Stanley says "A likely story!!!"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I stopped low dose statins years ago.
Not only did they upset my gut, I had aches and pains in my limbs that I couldn't tolerate.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendyf wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 10:00 Calcium build up is the major cause of cardiovascular disease
Ironically, calcium-rich hard water is associated with lower rates of heart disease. But it's probably the high magnesium content of hard water that's responsible for the beneficial effect.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My instinct has always been to refuse statins and like Joan of Arc I listen to my voices..... From what I have seen since it was a wise decision. The jury is still out on them.
Listening to Farming Today I was encouraged to hear an agronomist talking about the importance of growing crops in such a way that the percentage of micro-nutrients and minerals on the crop is maximised. I can't remember ever hearing this subject discussed in connection with commercial food production and I see it as an encouraging sign.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That interesting Stanley, a while back I read about a study which showed that food crops being grown today were much lower in micro nutrients but higher in starch than they were fifty years ago, not only due to modern farming methods but also because of global warming.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

As far as cereal crops are concerned, the ratio of starch to micronutrients in the grain has increased due to selective breeding over the millenia for plumper grains with more endosperm and giving a higher yield of flour. The micronutrients are in the bran and germ and therefore the micronutrient content of wholemeal flour has decreased with time (wholemeal flour is not artificially fortified).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've always been aware of the lower levels of minerals and micro-nutrients in soil that is intensively farmed and how old-fashioned mixed farming gives higher levels. I have also seen it cited as a good reason for eating 'wild food' such as game because it has better levels. When the BSE scare was at its height one non-scientist pointed out the correlation between the incidence of BSE and areas with low manganese levels in the soil but was rubbished as a crank. The interesting thing was that when outbreaks of herds with similar symptoms broke out in France it was ascribed to Manganese Deficiency..... I have always suspected that we know far too little about the influence of these trace elements on our bodies. A good reason for trying to eat as varied a diet as possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

From the late 1700s onwards, there were people from a farming background who gained a knowledge of minerals in soil and rock and became what we now call geologists and mineralogists. Information accumulated rapidly and was put to good practical use by farmers and agriculturalists. It began to go wrong when an agricultural chemicals industry grew up and convinced farmers that it could provide them with all they needed in a bag or bottle.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”