When do things become stuff?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: When do things become stuff?

Post by Stanley »

Books will never die as long as there are old farts like me seeking knowledge and appreciating the feel of a well-made book. They are an art form in themselves! Mind you, my consumption is mainly older, forgotten books.I'll bet Omissi on Air Power isn't available on Kindle!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I may say I have bought a few out of print books for next to nothing for my Kindle.
eg A tour through the whole island of Great Britain by Daniel Defoe
Historic doubts on the life of Richard the third by Horace Walpole
Sir Walter Raleigh, a short Biography
plus a number of books written in and about pioneers in Canada and USA
eg
The adventures of a forty-niner by Daniel Knower(?)
In the Forest by Catherine Traill
The adventurers of England on Hudson Bay by Agnes C laut

I have also bought for nearly nothing a number of books on religion and the historical interpretations. The Bible and the Koran. I want to get books on other religions too. I am fascinated bythe historical links.

The full works of Charles Dickens, the plays of William Shakespeare, a number of classics and copies of them in french to hel with my French translation A French English dictionary and vice versa plus French grammar books. These are very useful in my French lessons.

I have bought knitting patterns, sewing patterns for toys, books on drawing techniques including one by John Ruskin.,
Books on Pilates. books on wine such as The instant wine expert
You see the Kindle does have its place. It has opened up my reading and everything is so easy to carry in my handbag when I am travelling such as sitting at the dockside waiting for ferries! I also find I am not phased out by the length of a book as I have no real knowledge of how long it is.( I am not keen on holding hefty books as I do most of my reading in bed or out in the garden. They also take up alot of space when packing for a holiday read. I can have a number of books on the go at the same time and don't need to remember the pages I am on. I can cross-reference from one book to another or within a book very easily by a search feature, great when I am researching things like the religious links. I can buy English novels when in France very easily, and vice versa.

I love my Kindle

BUT

At the same time I am still indulging my hobby of real books. A bookshop is one of my favourite shops.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, look for Diarmaid MacCulloch 'A history of Christianity', brilliant book.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Dont forget that Amazon are deliberately selling below cost e-editions of books for Kindle ( I think this practice should be banned and enforced by OFT ) , other e-readers are avalible , but many dont have the out of copyright narrative in UK books on as the USA law changed recently and they are working to that.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Will do Stanley.

Also I haven't got all my books from Amazon, there are many sites that sell ebooks. Anyway whereever I get them I still like my Kindle.
If you keep searching you will find it

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”