Squirrels

David Whipp

Squirrels

Post by David Whipp »

Squirrel near our house.
David Whipp

Re: Squirrels

Post by David Whipp »

When I was taking my Bank Edge view photo this morning, this squirrel scurried up to have a look at the two starlings in the ash tree at the gable end of next door.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic. I remember once watching grey squirrels in Minnesota busily collecting nuts and hiding them under the wheel arches of cars parked on the road.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I can see myself getting into hot water over this posting but here goes. Squirrels are vermin, They raid birds nests and damage trees. There has been a noticeable reduction in our garden bird population since the squirrel invasion. I've seen them climbing up house stonework trying to get into open windows. Check your insurance to see if you are covered if a squirrel trashes your house. We should be trying to get rid of them as fast as possible after all they are only "tree rats".
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Judging from Plaques' post he wouldn't like this! We see a squirrel often in the garden of the new house and took this photo as it had a look in a bird box.

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 18 Apr 2014, 08:00 We should be trying to get rid of them as fast as possible after all they are only "tree rats".
You can't do that, they're cute! Rats are cute too. Respect all wildlife.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Hang on China I think there's a hint of double standards here. What about those cute chickens that you are quite prepared to send to the the big hen coop in the skies. I suppose wringing their necks is doing them a favor.
Last edited by plaques on 12 Dec 2017, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm with Plaques on this one, the greys are an introduced alien invasive species. They carry a virus to which they are immune to that has decimated our own native red squirrels. They are bigger and more voracious which gives them multiple advantage when invading habitat. Another American import we could do without. :sad:

Grey Squirrel

Red Squirrel

The Forestry Commission is proactive in encouraging habitat for our own Red Squirrel while discouraging the greys.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 14:17 I'm with Plaques on this one, the greys are an introduced alien invasive species. They carry a virus to which they are immune to that has decimated our own native red squirrels. They are bigger and more voracious which gives them multiple advantage when invading habitat.
Red rats, grey rats, they're still cute.

Plaques, I only have 4 chooks and I'd love to wring their necks but can't do it - my wife is the despatcher! They're a very bad investment as they cost more to feed than they are worth including their eggs. I've considered setting them free. No free chicken Christmas lunch for me.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

chinatyke wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 15:00 Red rats, grey rats, they're still cute.
That may be but the Greys don't belong here and are killing our own native species.

It's the same with the Coypu or as they are known in France "Ragondin". They are also an introduced alien species which are an absolute menace around the lakes and rivers of France they burrow into the banking and an established colony can wreck a water featured landscape. I remember seeing one next to a lake on a camp site in France, I mentioned it to the camp site owner as I had seen a poster regarding sightings in the office. Within minutes there were half a dozen blokes on site with 12 bores hunting the critter, they are huge and can do a lot of damage.

Coypu - Ragondin
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Interesting topic. The Kransky Sisters will tell you about the Cane Toads in Queensland - that went well didn't it?

Now we see beavers being introduced into the Forest of Dean.

What could possibly go wrong? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 18:55 What could possibly go wrong?
My friend in Canada lived next to a lake where there was beaver activity. He was accused by his neighbour, quite wrongly, of chopping down some adjoining border pine trees. The following night he saw some beavers come out of the lake and with a single bite drop a 3" diameter pine and make off with the tree. What could go wrong! Exactly.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As a specimen of the most destructive and invasive species ever put on the earth I am keeping schtumm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 18:55 Interesting topic. The Kransky Sisters will tell you about the Cane Toads in Queensland - that went well didn't it?
Stanley wrote:As a specimen of the most destructive and invasive species ever put on the earth I am keeping schtumm!
Transporting convicts there didn't do too badly!
I'm on the side of the squirrels, nature will adapt as it always does. Perhaps the red squirrels will be exterminated, but to use your argument: who cares what colour a tree rat is?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The grey squirrel was introduced into the UK by human beings in the 1870s and they're here to stay. I wouldn't encourage them but nor would I try to exterminate them - just try to keep some places where reds can survive. Kill the greys in any specific instances where they really are causing serious damage, just as we would kill rats for the same reason. Otherwise live with them and enjoy a species that gives a lot of people pleasure, especially people who can't go out into wild places to see the wildlife. The same applies to various other introduced species such as beavers, mink, wild boar and the non-native deer species. I draw the line at wolves and bears!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Transporting convicts there didn't do too badly! "

As Mao Tse Tung is reputed to have said of the effects of French Revolution -

' It's too soon to tell' :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

chinatyke wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 04:43 Transporting convicts there didn't do too badly!
Ask the indigenous inhabitants! Same applies to the Americas, South and North.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've just been out with a scrubbing brush and rubber gloves, washing Cockatoo Poo off the balcony railings and outdoor furniture. I'm hoping to be serving drinks and nibbles out there on Saturday...though likely I will have to clean again first.

I will swap you Cockatoos for Squirrels ( and possibly a few Chickens).

...and I wasn't "transported" here until 1964...under much duress I may add.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"...and I wasn't "transported" here until 1964...under much duress I may add."
Time that story was told again Maz. Such a shame we lost it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Natural World”