COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tripps

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tripps » 12 Nov 2017, 12:53

Big Kev wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 07:35
It's to ensure those using the service have a TV licence.
That's not what they say on the registration form - seems it's all for my benefit. :smile:

"Why we’re asking you to sign in
You now need to sign in to watch and listen to things on BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio. And the same goes for some other parts of the BBC. This is so we can make the BBC more relevant and personal to you."
Born to be mild. . .

Big Kev

Post by Big Kev » 12 Nov 2017, 19:07

Tripps wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 12:53
Big Kev wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 07:35
It's to ensure those using the service have a TV licence.
That's not what they say on the registration form - seems it's all for my benefit. :smile:

"Why we’re asking you to sign in
You now need to sign in to watch and listen to things on BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio. And the same goes for some other parts of the BBC. This is so we can make the BBC more relevant and personal to you."
They have such a lovely way with words :-)
Kev

A Resigned Observer

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 13 Nov 2017, 04:19

Everybody is chasing data these days. They'll be selling us to someone. See Tiz posts on it. We are now commodities!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 13 Nov 2017, 09:57

I sent Stanley a copy of a Philip Aldrick article from The Times titled `Data is the real cryptocurrency that big corporations can't get enough of'. Aldrick mentions: "Samsung smart TVs recording living room conversations ans storing them, along with viewing habits. Robot vacuum cleaners send room dimensions and furniture details to manufacturers. Smart fridges relay dietary preferences." He describes data as "a means of exchange or a store of wealth. Money in another form. The more data collected the more valuable it is. Google does not offer us the option of paying for using Google Maps and keeping our personal information private because the data is more valuable." He also points out that none of this shows up in official economic data and therefore it raises questions over the meaning and value of GDP.

On another matter, the FT this morning reports:
`UK spymasters raise suspicions over Kaspersky software’s Russia links'
GCHQ concerned by snooping potential of anti-virus product used by 2m Barclays clients.
British spymasters fear that anti-virus software given away for free by Barclays to more than 2 million customers may be being used as an intelligence-gathering tool by the Russian government.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 14 Nov 2017, 04:21

It was a good article.....
The thing that bothers me as I learn about what is possible and see things like Alexa sitting in people's homes and 'personal assistants' on smart phones is that we are never fully aware and what we know about is certainly the tip of a very large iceberg. Looking at the selfish ethos of the large companies that Janet warned me about so long ago I have no doubt that they will take maximum advantage, she was four years in front of the curve.
Also, from experience, these same companies will be using the technology against each other leading to escalation in order to keep up. We are long past Orwell's 1984 and we can only wonder where it will end. Whole generations are being treated like lab rats and manipulated, look at the impact of the overt technologies like advertising and then consider the effects of the covert like the Samsung TV that eavesdropped and the personal assistants.....
I'm getting old aren't I!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Pluggy » 14 Nov 2017, 10:39

I've said it before and no doubt I'll continue to say it. I'm glad I'm in the Autumn of my life and not the spring.......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Barlick Computers : http://barlickcomputers.co.uk

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 14 Nov 2017, 10:52

I suppose I'm in the foothills of the winter of my life - to mix metaphors - but have managed to retain some optimism.

Yes Tesco have a lot of information about my shopping - much good may it do them - but they pay me for it. I have just redeemed £15 worth of their vouchers for a £30 Senior Rail Card. I think that's a fair enough deal. They send me special 'tailored' offers from time to times. I just bin them - in order to confuse their marketing people.

Memo to self - use the card this time. . . :smile:
Born to be mild. . .

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 14 Nov 2017, 12:07

Two e-mails rightly or wrongly treated as scam.
1) How did you enjoy your recent bank visit. Fill this form Bla Bla Bla. ( haven't been in the bank for ages.)
2) Renew your Amazon account details. or we will cancel your account and goods in transit will be stopped. Click here to fill this form in. (If this is genuine then Amazon can get st....d if this is the way they treat customers.)

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Nov 2017, 04:13

I delete anything that I don't recognise. As for the ones that purport to be from a provider asking for action I just ignore them.
When my mate Daniel worked for the BBC the IT department got on to him and told him he should deal with over a thousand unanswered mails in his account so he binned them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”