Barnoldswick Broadband

Steven Chorkley

Barnoldswick Broadband

Post by Steven Chorkley »

Hi, I have recently been having some serious issues with my broadband connection ....Click Here. And I was wondering if anyone would like to share their story here!!!

I am fairly new to this forum so am unaware of any community rules but I would like to ask peoples options of Broadband within the Community.

I am starting a SpeedWave where we can determine the average speed of the exchange within Barnoldswick. I would like to ask what provider you are with and I would also like to ask for postcodes so we can work out the length of your line to the exchange.

Link: http://www.speedtest.net/wave/9fc452d9c1defdfe

To Note....
Earby are becoming FTTC enabled before the end of the year whilst the Barnoldswick Exchange wont be enabled until at least September 2015!!!!

My Test as follows:

ImageImage
My Postcode is: BB18 5SE and my line is approximately 934 meters long.

Thank You,
Steven Chorkley
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Barnoldswick Broadband

Post by Stanley »

Have you looked at the topic 'Computers, the agony and the ecstasy'? Broadband speeds and experiences fully documented on there.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Steven Chorkley

I certainly have! But I am wanting a comparison so I though a new thread may be easier. I have left a link on the other thread.

I am suddenly interested with this as somehow I got involved with B4RN... My school is in Wennington and they are getting hooked up!

I hope you participate! Thank you
Steven Chorkley
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Yes, it would be good if Barnoldswick could get on the #B4RN

Is there a proviso for how much that it would cost to become fibre enabled?

I know they're scheme cost £4m and they are still raising money
Steven Chorkley

Yeah it's ridiculously high! I can't remember how much they raised although one of the ladies involved explained it to me! Mind boggling how they have managed to do this! My headteacher is well involved with this project and the school owns several shares itself.

The only worry I have is that some business will move into Bentham or elsewhere and build a data centre, if they bonded a few connections they would have a lot more speed for their buck! The only other place on earth with consumer broadband being that fast is in Kensas City with Google Fiber! Puts BT and their FTTC project to shame!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Park St. Orange Home UK. Down 17.30 Mb/s Up 1.04 Mb/s Ping 42 ms server was Skipton
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Steven Chorkley

Big Kev wrote:Park St. Orange Home UK. Down 17.30 Mb/s Up 1.04 Mb/s Ping 42 ms server was Skipton
Wow that's fantastic! How did you get that high? Or are you using the Bright box router? I used to be with orange but they got to costly and cancelled the second line!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I talk to the people on twitter who are doing B4RN
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Steven Chorkley wrote:
Big Kev wrote:Park St. Orange Home UK. Down 17.30 Mb/s Up 1.04 Mb/s Ping 42 ms server was Skipton
Wow that's fantastic! How did you get that high? Or are you using the Bright box router? I used to be with orange but they got to costly and cancelled the second line!
I have the Orange "up to 20MB service" with line rental and evening/weekend calls included for £19 a month. The Netgear router, supplied by Orange and just around the corner from the exchange. Speed can drop to 10.0 Mb/s at busy times but, most of the time, it's fairly consistent at 17.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Open Reach are on the Croft this morning. They are working on the pole just on the back of Bessie Street that feeds my house. Two lads, looks like they are doing infrastructure upgrade. I'm hoping it's a fibre link to the pole. :smile:

The cable they are running out looks like armoured fibre, it's pre terminated in a junction box for the pole and is considerably thinner than the existing multi conductor feed to the pole. Pole guy has just got his harness on so it looks like the new box is to replace the existing one on the top of the pole.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 10:55 Open Reach are on the Croft this morning. They are working on the pole just on the back of Bessie Street that feeds my house. Two lads, looks like they are doing infrastructure upgrade. I'm hoping it's a fibre link to the pole. :smile:

The cable they are running out looks like armoured fibre, it's pre terminated in a junction box for the pole and is considerably thinner than the existing multi conductor feed to the pole. Pole guy has just got his harness on so it looks like the new box is to replace the existing one on the top of the pole.
There's a new direct fibre link from Nelson to Barlick and FTTP is ongoing throughout the town I believe. There have been a lot of Openreach vans sighted :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Kev, first stage will be getting the fibre as near to premises as possible so that will be the local distribution pole.

An interesting point. The last time I had a problem that Open Reach sorted, they said the pole that feeds my house and the surrounding properties was marked as untested and as such could not be climbed due to H&S. Needed a Simon Snorkel to do any work. Not stopped this current yellow dayglo engineer. :smile:

They have moved on to the next one at the bottom of the street now, also not up to current spec for climbing but they are cracking on.

I expect to lose my connection sometime today.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The Open Reach lads knocked off before the harder rain yesterday afternoon. The cable is fastened to the pole at the bottom of the street and coiled up ready for the next session. That might require the safety lift as it's the run that goes through the trees at the bottom of the street. When it gets to the next pole on Commercial Street it goes from overhead to underground and up to the cabinet at the bottom of Park Road. I reckon it could be fibre now as far as the nearest underground pit to the Commercial Street pole.

No interruption to service of course as nothing is connected yet.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Have I read that fibre effectively makes (local) exchanges redundant, everything can be switched from effectively two england big switches ?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Open Reach have been all over the Croft area in the last couple of days. We have three lads working on the two poles down our street. Yesterday they had Green Street cordoned off as they were pulling fibre through the ducting runs. Looked like the link from Commercial Street to the pit at the base of the pole on Green Street. All good stuff and the backbone network should be fibre through to the pole that feeds my house when they have completed. That will just leave about 20m of copper to my house on the final leg. :smile: No doubt it wont be long before I will be getting emails for FTP, fibre to premises deals in the not to distant future.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I've been experiencing a number of internet dropouts where one minute its OK and the next no DNS server which doesn't correct itself. TalkTalk is my supplier with the latest router. Switching the router off, leaving for a few minutes and then switching on again solves the problem. In the back of my mind I tend to think the problem is something to do with OpenReach work and then TalkTalk doing a reset which upsets my router settings making it all a bit of a mystery. On the other hand the dropouts also seem to come after windows 10 updates. Whether this is purely coincidence I don't know.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Ken and I wish you luck finding the cause. Internet access is like breathing. You never miss the water 'til the well runs dry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've recently signed up to my next contract with Plusnet but now we've suddenly got lots of vans here in Taunton with `Jurassic Fibre' written on the sides and men digging trenches down the roads.... Jurassic Fibre
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ken, have you been on to your account on Talk Talk. You can instigate a line test from there.

The coincidence with the Windows updates could be that your machine may need to renegotiate an IP lease depending on what bits the update has affected. It should be seamless though as that is a fully automated process at boot up.

I have always found Talk Talk very good at raising tickets with Open Reach. The latter are all over like a rash at the moment rolling out fibre in the backbone structure so I suppose a bit of instability in network integrity could be expected. I generally use the online chat facility for reporting problems to Talk Talk, much better than hanging on the telephone.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 10:24 Ken, have you been on to your account on Talk Talk. You can instigate a line test from there.
I had a similar problem about two months ago. It was TalkTalk tech that told me to switch the router off something they told you not to do.

Windows update, It was only because I had read an article saying that some machines may have difficulty navigating the protocol after a shutdown or sleep that made me wonder about it. The article was in Stanley's words above my pay grade. My machine has now settled down so I don't think it had anything to do with it.

The online chat is like taking part in a Turing test. Ask two questions in one sentence and you only get a reply from the first one. Unless I have two hours to spare I give it a miss. I'll bet NASA didn't use the TalkTalk algorithm to send their probe to Mars. :extrawink:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 10:54 I'll bet NASA didn't use the TalkTalk algorithm to send their probe to Mars.
Probably not but they did give Perseverance a Twitter account so that it can Tweet it's own announcements. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As I mentioned over in the What Attracted thread, I shot a couple of photos of the new fibre kit on the local distribution poles.

Here's one from Commercial Street on the local backbone, 3rd pole back from the one that feeds my local distribution pole:

All of the poles have inherited new labelling tags:

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is this a genuine question?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”