Broadband, tv & 'phone providers

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Broadband, tv & 'phone providers

Post by Stanley » 20 Dec 2013, 05:31

Kev, yes you are right but I have an HDMI lead as well. The SCART leads are for the non HD connections.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

hartley353

Post by hartley353 » 10 Feb 2014, 13:26

Not only light at the end of the tunnel, but I might be out of the tunnel. On the 8th of Jan this year, I spoke to Vodafone about cancelling my 20 plus years Mobile phone contract, and going pay as you go. Immediately after this I cancelled the Direct Debit. Nine days ago I received the pay as you go sim card. Trying to contact this company using their own sevices has proved a nightmare. This morning I phoned them on my land line, I spoke to a reasonable young man who gave me every confidence that the matter was closed, but I will have to wait till late afternoon for comfirmation. At the end of the call I thanked him and mentioned that I hoped the call charges wouldn't be to high. To this he replied that had I mentioned it was a land line they would have called me back, I refuse to believe that my number wasn't on his screen. My intention is to now invoice them for my wasted time, and the cost of the call, we shall see how I get on. One of the largest companies in the world, and totally impossible to deal with.

hartley353

Post by hartley353 » 11 Feb 2014, 10:03

Late afternoon came and went, I still can't register my phone on line. Invoice has gone in the post this morning. The phone is working, and I have found a way to put credit on it, so I do have service, the operation would be easier if I had an account and could view it. The £10.00 credit should probably last a very long time due to my using it only for emergencies.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » 11 Feb 2014, 10:19

Yes Vodafone are bad. I had been with 3Three for years for mobile pre-paid broadband and they were taken-over by Vodaone who gave me one of their sticks. It wouldn't work on my laptop and after many hours on the phone with vodafone 'technicians' and taking my lap-top into one of their shops, they told me that it wasn't going to work and ofcourse it couldn't possibly be their wizbang new technology, even tho everything was fine until I had to change to them. I was off the internet for a couple of weeks then suddenly everything started working beautifully (just as it did before). My opinion is that they must be very very slow with their paperwork, data-entry etc., and somehow that held everything in limbo. Aarrgh!!
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » 11 Feb 2014, 10:33

We bought an O2 wifi hotspot device whilst on holiday in UK last September/October ( only needed it for the duration of our holiday), paid cash ( think it cost about £30. ) and it was fabulous. It was only a 30 day thing but worked for about 34 days. We had data allowance to spare when it ran out. It worked everywhere we went...except Ireland ( but we knew that).
We were more than happy with it.
Cheapest holiday coverage we have ever had. Better than anything we could have taken with us.

Pluggy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Pluggy » 11 Feb 2014, 15:33

Just as well Vodaphone didn't merge with Three here (its an Aus thing), Vodaphones 3G coverage is terrible in the UK, Three's is much better. I have a Three Mifi (local hotspot) if anyone wants to buy one. You'd need a Three Data Sim card to make it go. ( http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTar ... turerName= ).Wonderful for connecting your laptop / tablet to the internet in the middle of a field. I use my Android Smartphone for the same trick now.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Barlick Computers : http://barlickcomputers.co.uk

hartley353

Post by hartley353 » 11 Feb 2014, 16:54

Don't think I mentioned I have a Vodafone dongle bought it about 5 years ago, it works when I have needed it, but is very slow I put £30.00 on it when I bought it and it still has £24.80 on it now. It is possible some of the problems are down to poor reception in my area. My PDA and all other companies subscribed to have all been poor at this address. None have admitted a problem, but I suspect living next to an airport may have something to do with it.

Pluggy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Pluggy » 11 Feb 2014, 18:44

They charge by the megabyte, and with Vodafones 3G coverage getting a megabyte can take serious time......

Very cheap to run, but otherwise next door to useless. I suffered it for 2 years on a contract, good riddance. Almost anywhere I went there was little or no 3G signal. Compared with fixed broadband, Three is slow, but it's usable most of the time. Vodafone was OK for calls and texts. But hopeless for internet.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Barlick Computers : http://barlickcomputers.co.uk

hartley353

Post by hartley353 » 12 Feb 2014, 09:20

The dongle allowed me some if poor service whilst camping. For the last three years most of the sites I visit have WiFi. I just buy one days access and do all my internet work at once in a day. Probably I should get the dongle out more and use up some of the credit, but it only works well upstairs at home.

hartley353

Post by hartley353 » 13 Feb 2014, 10:52

TNT Postman delivered a letter from Vodafone. The letter states that I owe them £25.12 , service charge of £4.17 for Vodafone 60 ??, calls 0.11p, VAT 0.85p, and monthly contract of £19.99. When I spoke to them by land line I asked if their was any outstanding monies, and payed this over the phone by credit card. What a shower!

Return to “Technology & Communication”