Mobile Phones

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Pluggy »

I'm using Delight, but I'm having problems wit a high proportion of 'one way calls' in which one party can hear the other saying "hello hello ?" because they can't hear. I was dismissing it as a phone/ signal thing. but using the other network (dual sim phone) it works fine every time. Guess I'm going to look at 1p mobile......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz has the Moto G phone and she's started receiving repeated messages from Google telling her that Google Play is out of date and she must download the new version. When she looks at the T&Cs they are very long and detailed and mention things to do with payment, so she's reluctant to do the download. She only uses the phone for calls, text messages and web browsing and the occasional photo so wonders whether she needs Google Play. Can it be deleted or shut down? Is there any way of stopping the Google messages other than giving in and downloading the new version?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It'll be an integral part of the phone 'build' you can choose to 'ignore' it in the application manager but you can't delete it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks, Kev, I'll have a look at it.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, Google Play (and other Google services) are embedded into the Android platform software as it is the avenue for obtaining apps for the phone. It oyns you to register a credit card in case you want to download any paid apps. You can get round this by just deselecting the tick box offered. I only ever use the free apps on mine, apart from the Geocaching one that I chose to join as a member, there are plenty of free ones to choose from.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Or you can join Google Rewards, answer a few surveys and get credit for Apps from the Playstore.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We found our way into the apps notifications set up and blocked them. That's all we need for now, If ever we wanted to use any we can always unblock them.

By the way, if you haven't already heard about it, the `switching SIMS' scam sounds like big trouble for both banks and bank customers. Today's `Money Box' episode was all about it. People losing all their savings, tens of thousands of pounds and money intended for house purchases. The evil tricksters can get your phone's SIM swapped to one they control and then divert your funds.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The more I see of banking on line by mobile or on a PC the more I think there are advantages to being a dinosaur!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 27 May 2018, 03:17 The more I see of banking on line by mobile or on a PC the more I think there are advantages to being a dinosaur!
That would have been my view until recently. I have always fought any attempt to link my bank account to a mobile phone. Too risky for me. :smile: However - I heard of this Starling Bank on the Paul Lewis money programme, and looked into it.

I gave it a go - and now know why the banks are closing down lots of branches. I was able to create my account totally from my mobile phone, including sending them a photo of my driving licence, in just a matter of minutes. The debit card arrived within a few days, and I transferred a modest amount into it from my existing account - and we're off.

The account is protected by two PIN's - one for the phone, and one for the account, and if the card is lost or stolen, I can disable it myself from a PC. The novelty of using the card at the till, and immediately hearing the 'ping' from my pocket as the transaction is notified to the phone still impresses and amuses me. I've even just used it for my first contactless payment!

Progress I think, for someone who once didn't trust cash dispensing machines. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 27 May 2018, 10:32
Stanley wrote: 27 May 2018, 03:17 The more I see of banking on line by mobile or on a PC the more I think there are advantages to being a dinosaur!
That would have been my view until recently. I have always fought any attempt to link my bank account to a mobile phone. Too risky for me. :smile: However - I heard of this Starling Bank on the Paul Lewis money programme, and looked into it.

I gave it a go - and now know why the banks are closing down lots of branches. I was able to create my account totally from my mobile phone, including sending them a photo of my driving licence, in just a matter of minutes. The debit card arrived within a few days, and I transferred a modest amount into it from my existing account - and we're off.

The account is protected by two PIN's - one for the phone, and one for the account, and if the card is lost or stolen, I can disable it myself from a PC. The novelty of using the card at the till, and immediately hearing the 'ping' from my pocket as the transaction is notified to the phone still impresses and amuses me. I've even just used it for my first contactless payment!

Progress I think, for someone who once didn't trust cash dispensing machines. :smile:
I haven't gone that far yet. In fact I haven't got a Smart phone yet. I'm definitely falling behind with technology but I still enjoy being a dinosaur!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I do all my banking online and have done for nearly 20 years with no problem so far. I love it.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 27 May 2018, 17:14 I do all my banking online and have done for nearly 20 years with no problem so far. I love it
Well done.

I don't think there is any connection with this topic, but further worrying news 'has emerged' for those happy to remain a dinosaur. Dinosaurs had dandruff :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't got dandruff.
Like most dinosaurs I recognise that I am reactionary and prejudiced. As a matter of fact I am quite relaxed about having a fully digitised banking service with proper safeguards, but I believe that you have to have one or the other. I am mobile phone illiterate and it suits me to stick to old fashioned post for the few things I need to do. For instance, paying physical money into a branch. How do you do that on the phone?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You may not be able to pay physical cash, into your bank account, using a smartphone but you don't have to visit the branch. You can do it at the Post Office :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Although I'm happy to use internet banking I wouldn't dream of linking my mobile phone to my account😨😨!!
If I have a cheque to pay in I still post it off to my branch, but that's a very rare occurrence these days.
I'm treasurer of the history soc. and we changed our account to Santander when the Yorkshire pulled out of both Colne and Barlick. We get a lot of cheques and those can be put into a machine in the bank in Colne (up to 50 at a time) which scans them and prints or emails a receipt. Cash can be paid in and withdrawn at the Post Office.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendyf wrote: 28 May 2018, 07:03 Although I'm happy to use internet banking I wouldn't dream of linking my mobile phone to my account😨😨!!
Same here Wendy, and now there is this danger which has already caused a lot of trouble in the US and elsewhere...
`How to protect yourself from SIM-swap scams'
There's been an increase in SIM-swap fraud cases, where scammers cancel and re-activate new SIM cards to hack into bank accounts.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wendyf wrote: 28 May 2018, 07:03 ...and we changed our account to Santander
Only indirectly connected to mobile phones but the staff at Colne's Santander are probably the most helpful that you could wish for. When you have this sort of confidence in your local bank there is no need to take any risk however small with mobile phones.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One advantage of posting cheques to the bank is that you have a physical audit trail. I understand the post and how to use it. I shall stick to snail mail as long as I can!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

What are these 'cheques' of which you speak? :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I still use cheques and get the occasional one back....... They have never let me down yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Millions overcharged for mobile contracts' LINK
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

My Nokia C2 mobile has just failed. Actually it is still working but the display isn't, so I can't read messages or make calls but can still receive incoming calls. I can't find my old handset and my wife has promised me her old phone but she is still 2000 miles away and unlikely to be home this week. When I order things from Baopals internet shopping website they send me a text with a code number which must be entered before payment is authorised, so at the moment I cannot pay for anything. :sad: Help, I'm out of mayonnaise!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pop over the road to Town Square and buy a new phone.... Oh I forgot........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

And spend £20 all at once? :sad: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We were concerned about you following the typhoon China, pleased to see you posting again!

Return to “Technology & Communication”