Mobile Phones

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting Kev although the reviews on the play store say that it has not had any updates for a while and has a few issues that have not been addressed suspecting that it is no longer being supported.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have decided that the more I use the thing, the sooner I will learn how to use it! One thing I do like, the keyboard is so much easier to use being bigger and faster. Onward and upwards, the old dog is learning new tricks.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 13:29 Interesting Kev although the reviews on the play store say that it has not had any updates for a while and has a few issues that have not been addressed suspecting that it is no longer being supported.
Possibly hasn't but I personally haven't had any issues with it :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm going to use the 'spare' phone I got today (middle offspring had an upgrade) as a 'new' controller for the Sonos system. It has a metal disc fixed to the back of the case so I can stick it to a magnet (I have one I can fix to the wall), should hopefully stop small boys from wandering off with it. 5 year olds seem to have a fascination with electronic devices :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 14:10
PanBiker wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 13:29 Interesting Kev although the reviews on the play store say that it has not had any updates for a while and has a few issues that have not been addressed suspecting that it is no longer being supported.
I have installed the free version Kev and uninstalled FB from my phone. Saved 340mb in the process. :smile: Seems to be working OK, I'm not a big user of FB on my phone and it is getting a bit tight on storage space at 7 years old. I have a Micro SD card in the phone and have transferred everything that will run from SD to it. Some stuff will only run from base memory as you know. Maybe I'm due for an upgrade but I can't afford one at the moment, will have to continue micro management of memory resources for a while. :geek:

Good news on the cast off for Sonos. Our Carla has a system through the house. They have a Spotify account and control the whole lot from their IPhones.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 14:48
Big Kev wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 14:10
I have installed the free version Kev and uninstalled FB from my phone. Saved 340mb in the process. :smile: Seems to be working OK, I'm not a big user of FB on my phone and it is getting a bit tight on storage space at 7 years old. I have a Micro SD card in the phone and have transferred everything that will run from SD to it. Some stuff will only run from base memory as you know. Maybe I'm due for an upgrade but I can't afford one at the moment, will have to continue micro management of memory resources for a while. :geek:

Good news on the cast off for Sonos. Our Carla has a system through the house. They have a Spotify account and control the whole lot from their IPhones.
I only got the Pro version as I used the 'Google Rewards' surveys for a while which gave me 'credit' to buy apps with.

The 'new' phone was destined for Stanley but he's sorted now...
ZTE.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was with a lot of the kids last night and got them all on the Moto as contacts. I have to suss out how to add them to Whatsapp but I shall get there, a work in progress and there is no rush..... Good move getting a new phone I think, should future proof me for a while. (It could last longer than me!)
You all did well advising me, the phone itself is a joy to use compared with the old one.... Very pleased with it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Create a family group and add them all to that rather than individually. Groups are a lot easier to follow and manage. When you create the group you will be prompted to add WhatsApp users. Add members, give it a name and that's it.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd like to do that Ian but gently gently catchee monkey. I shall let them get used to dealing with me and then suggest they start the group. Better if they take the lead.....
Next project is to work out how to transfer pictures from the phone to the FM3. The camera seems to be very high quality.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I recently had my photos from my old phone transferred onto my new phone. My daughter did it and it involved both my phones, her laptop and a ‘black box’ which I think was to do with WiFi (??), anyway she sent all my old photos to The Cloud’, then brought them back onto my new phone. The old photos are stored in a separate file on my phone, which is helpful. My notes etc were done in the same way. It all happened very quickly.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That tech failed with my old phone Cathy so I ditched it and started afresh. Getting there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Use the USB lead that came with the phone, your PC will recognise it as an external drive.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tried it, it just reported 'no folder'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The USB Charging lead should work, are you sure you are looking in the correct place for your images? Failing that, bite the bullet and upload them to Google Drive as already mentioned for another use. Then download them on your PC. Google drive will zip them as part of the process. I use this method all the time for most file transfers between phone and PC.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm no expert but - sometimes the PC does not see the phone as a drive, but just a device to be charged. This was a big problem with the dreaded 'Wiley Fox' but a few clicks on the motorola does the trick. Don't ask for precise detail - just prod it for while - you'll get there. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

"Next project is to work out how to transfer pictures from the phone to the FM3."
Stanley, it should work like Ian says when you connect it to your Ubuntu PC. Switch on the phone, connect it with the USB cable and your PC screen should show a Moto icon top left of the screen and/or a small notice window at the top of the screen (the latter is only there for a few moments to let you know it's worked). Click the Moto icon to open its main File Manager window on your PC screen. As Tripps says, the phone may for the first time need to be told you're not just trying to charge it but want to transfer data. If so, pull down the notifications window on your Moto - place finger at top of screen and pull down. If so, the dropdown list will offer you to transfer files and/ or photos. Click as appropriate. The first time you do this it may ask you to give permission. If so, click OK on `Transfer files'. Once you've got your Photos folder up it should be just like transferring between external disk and PC.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just spent 20 minutes trying all of the above but no joy yet! I shall keep on nagging at it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

On Windows the phone appears as a USB drive, with the model of the phone as a name. Opened up in an explorer window it is simply a case of finding the folder DCIM which is where photos are stored by default. If you have them on an expansion SD card you may have to search a bit further through the directory tree.

Using Google Drive is a lot easier. Simply navigate to the Gallery on the phone, select which photos you want to transfer (multi-select if you wish) and then hit the share button at the top. Phone will offer various options, select the Drive option and let the phone do the rest. It will zip all the images into an archive before transferring them to the cloud. It will notify you when the transfer is complete. On the PC simply open a new Google tab, click the Google apps in the sidebar and select Drive. Your archive will be there to download.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm quietly working my way in Ian. I'll try that when there is more than one pic in the gallery!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley, here's the process of transferring photos from Mrs Tiz's Moto G phone to Ubuntu on our PCs.
Switch on the phone. Connect it via the USB cable to your PC. This icon and notice below will appear on your PC screen to show it's recognised the phone...

Now you need to tell the phone you want to transfer photos (teach it to smook!). Draw the notification banner down by putting your finger at the top of the screen and drawing it downwards to get this...

Click on `Touch for more options' to get this...

Click the `Photo transfer PTP' and this should then show the photos thumbnails on your Ubuntu PC just like when you transfer from your camera. Carry on in the same way, choosing where to put the photos...

Bingo. Done!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Or with a google account you use Google photos and it does itself without a cable. I just take 'em and they appear on any computer I want, yeah, yeah,,I know, big data, the epitome of evil.......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pluggy wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 21:41 Or with a google account you use Google photos and it does itself without a cable. I just take 'em and they appear on any computer I want, yeah, yeah,,I know, big data, the epitome of evil.......
:laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Info taken on board.....
Later... (This phone is playing hell with the beam engine!) I went in the shed and did a set of pics with the phone (very good quality by the way). Accessed them via Google photos on line which I assume is the Cloud? Then I accessed them and zipped them and tried to send to the FM3. I had set up a file for them and Good God, there they were! I think I can remember how I did it! We shall see but I think I am getting there slowly. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 03:23 Accessed them via Google photos on line which I assume is the Cloud?
Mein Gott! This could be the end of the world as we know it! :surprised:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I know its late in the day but which make, model, memory capacity did you buy?

Return to “Technology & Communication”