Mobile Phones

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Pluggy »

I got an email this morning regarding mobile phone data from someone not registered on the site. I wasn't sure whether to post it, I've forwarded it to Stanley
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sounds sensible, I reckon post it but recommend he registers as a member.
I feel better now that I have acted on the charges issue. I await the SIM.... The phone is working fine Pluggy, a life saver.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The following was emailed to me yesterday, I did,'t get around to posting it yesterday. . I thought it had been sent to the OGFB email, as it turns out it was emailed to my business address, but its clear it belongs here. There was a name attached to it which I've left off.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi

I have been looking at the website after getting there from a link showing Stanley making the engines for John. I hope you don't mind me chipping in on the discussion even though I am not registered on the board and that I don't offend.
I have noticed that there seems to be a misapprehension about what roaming data is, the following comes from multiple places on the web:

Data roaming means using your phone to receive data over mobile networks that your mobile operator doesn't own. Your mobile operator might charge you extra for data roaming, and this service must be available with your current phone plan.

Essentially this is used when you are abroad and is the subject of legislation in Europe to reduce the excessive charges for it as it used to be a very costly option. Turning it on or off when you are on your home network will have no effect on data usage. It has been used rarely within the UK for example when EE bought Orange then it allowed customers of both networks to connect to either network to improve coverage until the networks were fully merged, but was otherwise prohibited by UK law.

The critical setting in Android is mobile data which will allow or disable use of mobile data for any purpose. This still allows the phone to make and receive calls and texts, and is separate from and does not affect any available WiFi connection use(this is an option on the same menu and can help battery life to be turned off when you know you are not going to be connecting to WiFi as the constant searching for a connection may use a lot of power, it is better in th most recent Android releases).

This mobile data setting is accessed in most recent Android releases on the Settings swipe down menu.

There are three further settings that might settle any concerns about unwanted mobile data usage for updates.

These are found on the Settings>About>Software Updates - sub menu. and control whether the phone uses mobile data at all for updates, and whether system or app updates are allowed automatically.

If the first is checked and the second two are not in this menu then no mobile data allowance will be used for updates and the phone will prompt that updates are available and wait for the person using the phone to allow them to happen.

Hope this is clear enough and is if some use.

Kind Regards
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It is clear, concise and useful Thanks for sending it in. How about registering as a member? You will feel no pain......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have been very brave and swapped the old Orange SIM in the Pluggy memorial smart phone to the new one which EE have sent me. It's working on WShatsapp I have tested it. If I understood the lady the other day I will now have a temporary new mobile number which will automatically revert to my old one in the next couple of days so I shall wait for a few days before altering my Log in to EE as an EE customer and not Orange and trying to manage my account. Question, does this sound sensible? BTW, they told me I would get £10 of credit simply for swapping.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds a good plan Stanley. Did they sort your account access out? I was thinking if you still cant log in with your new email when you next try, give it a go with your old one before you ring them again.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The plan now is to register and log in in the EE section as I am no longer an Orange customer. I shall give it a couple of days until it has sorted my number out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Your login on EE uses your mobile number as the first part of login then the email address they have registered for you. I just thought the database may be hanging on to your old one. You should have the option to change it once you get into your account. See what it offers you when you put your number in after they have ported it over.

A bit later..

I have just checked and there is provision to change your email address in the account settings once inside. There is also an option for new registration after entering your number.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, that's why I am waiting. The lady assured me that the system would automatically allocate the old number to the new account once I started using it and this would take about 24 hours. I'll report back.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just a point there Stanley you are not technically using the phone as it is as you don't make a call, you are only using WiFi which the servers wont pick up. It might be an idea to ring a couple of people up or ring your landline a couple of times.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

From experience porting numbers can either be pretty painless and all happens in 12 hours or it may subject you to 3 days of torment and misery. Lets hope you get the former.

In my experience its usually less painful if you're porting to an entirely different provider, but that might just be me.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

When I started this thread a couple of years ago it was regarding porting my number from Orange on an old sim to a new EE sim. Within the same firm of course, exactly the same as Stanley is doing. I hope they have got their act together a bit better as it took a whole 7 days to sort mine out! At least Stanley is still functional without the number port as he is only using the WiFi side of the phone. I still think he may have to make an odd call to show activity on the account.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good idea Ian.... I'll try it when I have woken up. If any of you can make free calls to EE numbers, give me a bell sometimes in the morning on 07929 486 595 .....?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pluggy wrote:From experience porting numbers can either be pretty painless and all happens in 12 hours or it may subject you to 3 days of torment and misery. Lets hope you get the former.

In my experience its usually less painful if you're porting to an entirely different provider, but that might just be me.
I took my EE number to O2, the quoted 48 hours is 48 working hours. I signed up at 4pm last Friday and was all ported by lunchtime Monday. A pretty painless experience once I was aware the weekend didn't count :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Good idea Ian.... I'll try it when I have woken up. If any of you can make free calls to EE numbers, give me a bell sometimes in the morning on 07929 486 595 .....?
The automated message says "The mobile phone you have called is not available"
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As expected Kev. Can you give it an occasional try and let me know when the change kicks in? I just tried calling my land line but it didn't go through.... I think it's a question of patience. Whatsapp is working OK thank god....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have just tried your number now Stanley, it rings out but I did not get an answer.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keep trying Ian. No missed calls on the phone. Mind you, one problem I am having is that I appear to have muted the sound on the phone and I can't find how to restore them. Don't tell me to go to Accessibility in the settings 'cause I can't find it! I have read the manual but no joy. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Weird!!! Having typed that I went back in to settings just to try one last time and bugger me, Accessibility was there! I went in and turned sounds on..... It should whistle at me now when a message comes in. I will report back! These bloody things have a mind of their own.....
Later at 08:23. We have progress! I can make calls out now and got a voice message saying my package was up and running. I rang my own land-line and it worked fine. However, if I call my old number from the land-line I get number unobtainable. I suspect this next bit is the one that takes longer, the lady said that the account would revert to the old number 'In 24 hours'. I shall be patient and wait before I log onto EE and register as an EE user instead of Orange because at the moment I suspect it won't recognise the number I have but will expect the replacement. Onward and upwards!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Patience has paid off! The EE lady told the truth. I tried the old number from my land line this morning and it works! Lovely.... I shall now go and register on the EE site as an EE customer and attempt to manage my account to switch from £10 monthly to £1. I shall report.....
08:00. Successful. The deal is £1 for seven days but as I have a credit of over £30 I am not complaining. £1 a week for all the access I am getting via wi-fi is cheap!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for another nail in the coffin of the Samsung note 7 phone. It's been banned from commercial flights....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Seems like a sensible idea but the ban is only in the USA and how will they enforce it? You cant really expect the security staff to check everyone's make and model of phone especially as they only go through the scanner in the tray. A lot of electricals also get onboard via hold baggage. I can't honestly see how this can work unless you back it up with punitive measures such as cancellation of tickets and a massive fine for those flouting the rules.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The Samsung Note 7 is past another nail in the coffin, Samsung scrapped it 3 days ago. http://www.theweek.co.uk/samsung/71388/ ... fter-fires

You can send them back, for a full refund or exchange for another Samsung model.

You could always console yourself with the phone that replaced what is now Stanley's - A Cubot Note S ( anyone notice that many phones share similar branding ? ) A 10th of the price of the Samsung.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181988344039

Admittedly its not going to fullfil the 'compensating for something' mentality of someone who buys a 700 quid phone. Dacia rather than Audi.

Lithium Polymer batteries are the real problem, too damn useful to do without, but it doesn't take much for any of the billions produced, exploding and/or bursting into flames. They have been banned from bulk shipping by air freight for years.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine was even cheaper than that thanks to Pluggy.... It doesn't even get warm when it's charging.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Someone was telling me that his mobile phone was so old it didn't have a screen. How far back do we have to go to find ones that had no screen at all?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have a couple of Motorola G3 smartphones for sale if anyone is interested, still sealed in the boxes.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Technology & Communication”