Mobile Phones

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Pluggy »

Any virtual network that rides on Three's network (ID mobile being one of them) won't work with 2G only phones as irs minimum is 3G. At the moment, the other 3 networks (EE, O2 & Vodafone) do still work with old 2G technology. But as the networks (like the rest of the world) don't bother replacing ageing 2G kit, don't expect them to work forever. Nobody bothers mentioning it because the number of 2G phones left in the wild is pretty small in developed countries. It doesn't come up that often so the knowledge to deal with it dies. A bit like repairing computers......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just out of curiosity, what network is my sim running on in the phone you gave me?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Who do you pay your £1 to? If its the same as my £1 deal it will be EE. The network in use should be indicated in the header at the top of the phone.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 15:36 But as the networks (like the rest of the world) don't bother replacing ageing 2G kit, don't expect them to work forever. Nobody bothers mentioning it because the number of 2G phones left in the wild is pretty small in developed countries.
While looking at reviews of the Nokia 216 I noticed that the spec given on a site based in India said it had 4G. There'll be people in huts in remote villages in India suing their 4G phone while I'm using my 2G one in a large UK town!

I've paid my £10 to 1pMobile and await delivery of the SIM card. They seem to have a sense of humour; the web page that showed after I'd signed up said I'd receive the card by Royal Mail 1st class post and there was a cartoon style image alongside of a letter addressed to something like:
Ms Penny Mobile,
Penny Lane,
Mobileton
PM1 1PM
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pluggy, I phrased that badly, yes its EE £1 a week. What I was after is it 2,3 or 4G?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It may also show that in the header as well Stanley depending how "smart" it is. If not go into settings, it will tell you there.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't be arsed Ian, It was only an idle question. It powers Whatsapp and that's all that concerns me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The phone I sold you was a 3G full on Android smartphone, Stanley. It will work on any network, 4G in Barlick is patchy at best and for what you're doing with it, its not going to offer much or any improvement. Using it just for whatsapp and just hooked to your broadband, its not going to be using the network anyway.

My wifes contract on ID mobile has just finished its 2 years. I switched it to a sim only 1 month rolling contract deal, 500MB data, 250 minutes and 500 texts at £4.00 a month. Entirely painless - clicked a button on the website. The old phone is still hanging in there.

I'll continue PAYG on delight and three. - I don;t get through the minutes and text like the wife.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Pluggy, you're right, it's doing everything I want and data roaming is off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

To conclude my latest little saga - I've got my money back from iD, and activated the new SIM from 1pMobile. The latter was a lot easier than the former. :smile:

Plan A now starts again - let things settle down, then cancel the monthly subscription to Plusnet mobile and transfer the number to 1p.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you have prevailed David...... Didn't they realise that resistance was useless?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I found 1pMobile easier than Delight and the SIM card arrived very quickly. It's up and running and so far no problems.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I got what seemed to be a scam phone call today. Seems it was from Plusnet trying to get me to subscribe to BT Sport. Gave him my usual indignant response - despite feeling sorry for the guy, having to make a living by doing it. Must be soul destroying.

I've accelerated my departure from their mobile phone system, to punish them. I'll be on 1p Mobile by Tuesday with my existing number 'ported' . That'll teach 'em. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"despite feeling sorry for the guy, having to make a living by doing it. Must be soul destroying. "
I often think the same thing David. I couldn't do the job but poverty drives the industry..... Worse than a sweat shop, at least they were making something!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - I've successfully moved my Plusnet number over to 1pMobile, and made that my main. Totally painless.

Rather worryingly - I immediately got a message from the great god Google saying they've noticed I've changed my phone number, and would I care to register it with them. How on earth do they know - It's the same number I've used for over a year.

Not a chance. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There was an article in The Times on the weekend expressing the view that we should forget about bitcoin, the new virtual currency is now personal data. Companies are falling over themselves to buy it and finding more and more ways of squeezing it out of us. There is a trial in China of a project to get people to hand over all their data for a price. Elsewhere companies are using cheeky ways to mop up our data and monitor our activities. Some of them are getting their wrists slapped for over-stepping the mark - one of the TV manufacturers (Samsung?) had installed something in their TVs to record viewers' conversations!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 16:55 There is a trial in China of a project to get people to hand over all their data for a price.
Money for nothing. How much do they give? Can I sign up?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, It's worrying isn't it. The NHS has got my mobile number and I have never given it to anyone.....
China, don't do it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Good morning. You're up early.
I'm only joking, I get annoyed when I get unsolicited but targetted adverts. I use AdBlockPlus and Adblocker Ultimate to try and keep interruptions to a minimum.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see that Elaine and Heather's shop in the Square has reopened as a phone and computer shop. It's been tried before in the town and failed but this looks like a slick operation. Pluggy has stepped back at the right time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 02:29 Money for nothing. How much do they give? Can I sign up?
Here you go....LINK
`China wants to give all of its citizens a score – and their rating could affect every area of their lives. The Communist Party wants to encourage good behaviour by marking all its people using online data. Those who fall short will be denied basic freedoms like loans or travel.'
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Stanley wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 06:36 I see that Elaine and Heather's shop in the Square has reopened as a phone and computer shop. It's been tried before in the town and failed but this looks like a slick operation. Pluggy has stepped back at the right time!
Already been in to scope their operation. Its a handy place to unload the jobs I don't want to do. (Tablets and phones). Good luck to them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2:
Sensible attitude Steve.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's a big jump from the last post in this thread (Nov 2017) and we've tended to discuss mobile phones elsewhere in the meantime. However I can add an update here on purchase of the Nokia phone and a PAYG account with 1p Mobile. I hardly use the phone, it's carried around for use in emergencies but it's important that the account is OK for that reason. You'll remember that I had a bad experience with Delight.com and ditched them, then went to 1p Mobile. I've just completed my 120 days for £10 and signed up for another 120. They've carried over the residual money from the last period too. They haven't caused me any problems and their web site is very easy to use, they are transparent with their charges, and there is lots of information on the site. So my conclusion is :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So far so good Tiz! Sounds like a slightly better deal thaN MINE WITH e&e BUT i SHALL NOT BE CHANGING...... (Bugger caps lock!!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”