Social Media

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Social Media

Post by Tizer »

Yes, I forgot to add asbestos. Another example should be debt - that goes back a long way and is still with us.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In a BBC article titled `Twitter says Online Safety Bill needs more clarity' Twitter boss Katy Minshall was quoted as saying: ..users already had to provide a date of birth, full name and email address when signing up, meaning that the police could access data about an account, even if someone had used a pseudonym. Yes, but they don't have to be your own date of birth, full name and email address or could be completely fictional. They don't check and you don't have to give a street address.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another chance for Tripps to ask `Do the Germans have a word for Schadenfreude?'
`Meta: Facebook's new name ridiculed by Hebrew speakers' LINK
`Facebook's announcement that it is changing its name to Meta has caused quite the stir in Israel where the word sounds like the Hebrew word for "dead". To be precise, Meta is pronounced like the feminine form of the Hebrew word. A number of people have taken to Twitter to share their take on the name under the hashtag #FacebookDead.'..

The article doesn't mention that Facebook is aiming to create a new version of the internet called the Metaverse. I wonder why it reminds me of Donald Trump wanting his own social media company?
`Enter the metaverse: the digital future Mark Zuckerberg is steering us toward' Guardian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I see they cover the Rolls Royce Siver Mist (nearly) blunder. That's why rebranding is so important and only the best and highly experienced staff are trusted with it. I think this is the last word in the process. :smile:

Rebranding
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, Is that a serious video or a spoof? I see echoes of so much 'communication' today in so many areas, not least in politics. The presenter has to be fluent in psych babble and management speak, capable of speaking very fast for long periods without obviously taking breath and referring to the recipients as guys....
Sorry but to me, spoof or serious, it's a load of pretentious crap that manages to be be patronising and ludicrous at the same time.
I have to ask again, is this a serious video explaining rebranding?
As for Mark Zuckerberg and his 'Meta'. Even though I know that what the social media companies do is important and can change our world because of the influence they have I still regard them as aliens, living in a different universe than me.
Whenever I think about branding I always remember that it was that process that gave the world the white goods brand 'Smeg'. Remember the rebranding of the Post Office? I rest my case.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Remember the British Airways rebranding disaster? They spent £60 million on it - and yet here's a company boasting about having done it... Luxury Branding
The last paragraph is a great example of branding twaddle!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 03:33 Is that a serious video or a spoof?
It's satire. :smile: Check out 'Twenty Twelve' on Youtube. There's plenty there. Not ten years old, yet I don't think it would get through today -which is a shame. For example Is multiculturality a word?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank God for that David. However, it's success as a spoof relies on the fact that it is almost indistinguishable from genuine branding psycho babble. It's the currency of so much of the world.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Facebook's metaverse plans labelled as 'dystopian' and 'a bad idea'' LINK
`One of Facebook's earliest investors has labelled the social media giant's plans for a metaverse as "dystopian". Meta, as Facebook is now known, is investing billions in the project. But Roger McNamee told the BBC: "It's a bad idea and the fact we are all sitting and looking at this like it's normal should be alarming everyone." Meta's chief product officer Chris Cox told attendees at the Web Summit in Lisbon that the idea would make "the internet less flat". He said it would be considerably better than video conferencing as a space for meetings. However, speaking at the same event, Mr McNamee was highly sceptical. "Facebook should not be allowed to create a dystopian metaverse," he said.'..
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to say I agree. When we start to consider validating something that doesn't exist it's time to have a rethink. Problem is there could be money to be made.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another reason for better regulation of the big social media companies. As well as holding back attempts to defeat viruses and climate change they are ruining many people's lives...
`Covid denial to climate denial: How conspiracists are shifting focus' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a choice isn't it Peter.The story about Christine and her girlfriend says it all really and what a sensible decision the made. These people are barking and the only encouraging thing about the story is that statistically, the deniers are on a hiding to nothing when they meet up with the virus which is here for the long term.
(Will they be as vehement in denying Covid when they are fighting for breath?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Tries to return' would be a better way to describe it! Lower down the web page you find the problems he's facing.... :smile:
`Truth Social: Banned from Twitter, Trump returns with a new platform' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Launching a new Social media site is similar to a new variant of covid trying to take over the existing variants. Although the total market may be enormous its got to act like a new virus that will displace the old ones. Twitter, Facebook and others are established platforms have years of experience and are tuned to what people are looking for. Trump may have had millions of followers on Twitter but that was because he was riding piggyback on a platform where people may follow multiple tweeters. Trump's eccentricity may appeal as a side line and obviously had some hardcore followers but is there enough of them to establish a viable virus. If the 'R' rate falls below 1 then inevitably it will come to an end albeit with small pockets that can't influence enough people for it to take off. I think Trump is on a loser here.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could well be right Ken. Let's not forget there are some interesting court cases going on.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This little spot of bother has led to the Russia Today (RT) being banned by the UK and in retaliation the BBC in Russia. Let's hope this thinking doesn't spread into religion and they start banning the CATHOLIC FAITH NETWORK. (CFN) . That would leave Tripps and myself without our daily dose of Pinkamena battling away on the chess board.

PS. The fact that White always starts first has no racial overtones the rules were set in 1890 to standardise the game.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I see RT has finally been stopped from Freesat, but the CFN continues for now. Here is what they say today. Very sad.

"​Pinkamena is celebrating her birthday today! She is 9. But everyone is in an anxious mood, because in the near future both Russia and Europe will face hard times"
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think this is what is known in the trade as a 'niche thread'. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 03:58 I think this is what is known in the trade as a 'niche thread'.
I think you are wrong there Stanley it just that most of us are not good enough to make a song and dance about it. Just watch this ..

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes it's a niche within a site that itself is a niche. . . Long may niches continue.

I discovered yesterday that their names are Kasania and Elizabeth Petrova. Not a lot of people know that. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" Not a lot of people know that."
That could be right.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 21:28 This little spot of bother has led to the Russia Today (RT) being banned by the UK and in retaliation the BBC in Russia. Let's hope this thinking doesn't spread into religion and they start banning the CATHOLIC FAITH NETWORK. (CFN) . That would leave Tripps and myself without our daily dose of Pinkamena battling away on the chess board.

PS. The fact that White always starts first has no racial overtones the rules were set in 1890 to standardise the game.
Somewhere I have/had a travel set that I think was made of Red and Green pieces.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Elon Musk strikes deal to buy Twitter for $44bn' LINK
Remember this is the man who (on Twitter) called a hero British diver in the 2019 Thai cave rescue a 'pedo'. Musk is a dangerous, rich prat. He says he wants to ditch all the protections from Twitter to `allow free speech'. Imagine what this means for Trump and the next US presidential election. Musk is also blasting thousands of satellites into low Earth orbits, making work difficult for astronomers and piling up scrap in the atmosphere. He doesn't give a damn for anyone else. Grrrr!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did you hear his mate on Today this morning? Asked if Musk bought Twitter to make money he said no, he doesn't care whether it makes or loses money, he can afford it. ($265Billion personal wealth)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Meta's chatbot says the company 'exploits people'' LINK :laugh5:

Return to “Technology & Communication”