Big Brother 2018

plaques
Donor

Big Brother 2018

Post by plaques »

In George Orwell's 1984 everybody was tracked through Tele screens 24/7. It was Stanley's Sunday cooking and washing programmes that made me think how much we are all tracked without knowing it. Nothing to hide = Nothing to fear, is the common mantra. Its all done under the blanket of better control and efficiency. Smart meter energy usage can say a lot about your indoor activities. The ubiquitous CCTV cameras have reached a density coverage that the phrase 'No hiding place' is becoming all to real. Couple this with face recognition and things get a bit scary. Mrs P raised a question of what happens to all those images that you take at these passport photo booths? Paranoid perhaps but just think about all those surveys, Google searches, Facebook, etc, etc. So where is 2018 taking us? You tell me.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Big Brother 2018

Post by Wendyf »

Try thinking about something nice Plaques...its Christmas Eve!! :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm looking forward to a big U-turn on Brexit, everybody wakening up to realise that it's been a bad dream and we need to immediately ditch all plans of leaving the EU and get back to spending our time and money more effectively, working with the other EU member countries and benefiting from all the advantages of being part of a large community. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm thinking about my Christmas lunch at the Barlick Raj Balti tomorrow. My head is firmly in the sand regarding any other matters :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid I am with P. I don't let myself go into a decline but I keep a close eye on what's happening and he's quite right, 1984 is alive and well and in full swing! Janet alerted me to big data over six years ago and the move to control the world by a few big companies three years ago. When she died she was working on a programme which will allow Joe Public to access and interpret Big Data because the Achilles Heel of it is that it is too big to keep secret. I hope her colleagues are continuing the work.....
So be aware but not fearful. As FDR said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself....." In the end, the meek shall inherit the earth.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Its been reported that WhatsApp users may have been subjected to a new bit of spyware that has not been seen on Adroid platforms before. Some of its spy features include recording the area sounds when entering a specific location. Spy on messages and transmit them through Wi-Fi. This 'Skygofree' spy ware is said to be the most powerful seen for an Adroid platform. Link.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They won't learn a lot from me and my daughters......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Strava have released a heat map that shows the routes taken by American army personnel round their military bases. Linl. This is pretty low level stuff compared to the computing power the Americans are developing which patches together ALL posted images to create a 3 dimensional image of the area / structure they are interested in. No need to send undercover spies to take pictures just use all the innocent happy snaps and you get an up-to-date street view anywhere in the world.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The released Strava data may seem pretty low level stuff but it maps out the military bases in detail and is available easily on the Web.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If the spooks or anyone else for that matter want to see all the lanes and footpaths around Barlick. They only have to look at my Endomondo tracks, I think I have have covered them all pretty well over the years. Have expanded outwards on my bike as well which they can have as a bonus. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Does this mean they will know about the treacle mines at Gill?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Some things will still be sacrosanct. :extrawink:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I'm not sure that the term 'heat map' is referring to the body heat generated by the soldiers doing their exercises or the 'hot spot' from the GPS co-ordinates where they took their happy snaps. The next stage has I have said is to combine the images to give a 3D image. Not only will they find out where the treacle mines are they will know what they look like. Oh S----
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aha, but you have forgotten that with all good mining practice all miners are searched for contraband before being allowed down the shaft and cameras definitely fall into that category, no pictures exist only held in memory so the mines will be safe. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hear on the grapevine that scientists have discovered that those strands of dark matter which make up the `undetectable' 70% of the universe are composed of finely dispersed treacle. We find it accumulates down mines because gravity attracts it closer to the centre of Earth.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are still some clues left. This treacle stain on the wall of the Co-op car park is an example.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

See what you've done Stanley, given them another clue to the Barlick secret entrance.

Meanwhile. Parts of the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 – known as the snooper’s charter – are effectively unlawful and must be urgently changed. Link. This is the 'nothing to hide nothing to fear' argument. But the comment by the judges the law was “inconsistent with EU law” is more telling. The EU is supporting our fundamental rights. Our Government doesn't appear to be in favor of giving ordinary people 'rights', 50% of the Bexit discussion revolves round creating our own laws, or lack of them, which I think we can all see is more concerned with removing worker protection than adding to it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Made even worse if the 'Henry VIII' powers are given to ministers.....
Of course they will try to keep us blind, how else can the 'back to the past' project work?
Think of having Alexa and a Hive camera in the house, add that to the listening TV set and '1984' is reality.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”