COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

plaques
Donor

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by plaques »

To continue my TalkTalk rant, sorry about that folks, but after several more 'chats' concerning high speed fibre and Digital Recorders the problem what I was faced with boiled down to two basic issues.
1. That the fibre broadband speed available to our house was only Half the MINIMUM (a down load into the house of 9.0Mb) that they promised. BT Openreach are now working on this.
2. To obtain the Sky Cinema boost package the recorder must be capable of being connected to the internet. This requires three conditions to be met.
a. A wire connection to the router. Achieved by a powerline connector. Result = Pass.
b. IP address code. Entered a default code, 198.186.1.1 Result = Pass.
c. Gateway access code. This is unknown to me so I tried the same code 198.186.1.1 Result failed.

Since this is my own Panasonic recorder Talktalk refused to supplied me with the router code number because they didn't support none Talktalk equipment

I'm now asking any OG readers for any ideas.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hope someone can help you, Plaques.

We now often get times when our connection to the internet is suddenly lost for 5 to 10 minutes. We have two PCs, in different rooms, connected to the router via Powerline connectors and they never seem to drop the internet at the same time. The drops don't occur at any specific time and I can't link them with any use of electric appliances in the house. Puzzling, but not really much of a problem.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you are just connecting a device to your router it is only the local network you are concerned with.

Try 192.168.1.0 for your local gateway I/P.

I assume you have DHCP set up on the router in which case all connected devices will auto allocate from the pool

Your router should autodect the remote gateway address table from the exchange. If you come across these settings don't alter them.

If push comes to shove your router will have a factory reset option, what model is it?

I just use the Talk Talk Huawei default router, it works fine for me.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just read your post again P and the crux of the matter is how your router is set up. The Panasonic recorder is just another device on your local network. If the router is setup correctly you should not need to alter any settings to attach it, it will just be allocated the next available address from the pool.

Have you any other devices connected, either wired or via WiFi, mobiles, tablets, etc?

Who's router are you using?
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thank you PanBiker. This is exactly what I thought should happen.
The router is TalkTalks new 'super Hub' sent to me last thursday.
1. I've connected in an old desktop by wire. With no problem it just plugged in and was away.
2. A smart TV using a Dongle via Wi-Fi. This require a wi-fi code which was on the back of the router in the form of letters and numbers (8 digits). Entered on the TV screen using the remote and arrow keyboard.
3 A laptop via wi-fi using the same code. (mouse and keyboard)

On the Panasonic., an old model which would require a £30 dongle if I wanted wi-fi connection. I just plugged in the cable and hit the internet button on the remote = no internet connection, go to setup. This allows these three digit banks of numbers (---.---.---.---) for IP and gateway. If I leave gateway blank it fails. if I make a guess at the number it fails as I said in my previous post. There is another different 8 digit code for wired connections of a similar form to the wi-fi code but I can't see where this can be entered to action the recorder.
Actually I'm more than a little annoyed with Talktalk when they side stepped this issue.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Looks like you need to configure the addresses manually:

Try 192.168.1.0 for the gateway

Then any in the subnet range, your other devices are already using some of the addresses in the subnet range but assuming you are using the range as above you have 255 addresses to choose from. So that it doesn't clash with others in use try it at 192.168.1.10.

If you can get into the router management you can check the address range set up on DHCP. You should be able to see what the other devices have been allocated.

By default your TalkTalk router will probably live on 192.168.1.1. If you type that into the address bar of your browser it should take you to the login page for router admin.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just sticking my tuppence worth in; Is the default gateway in talk talk routers not 192.168.1.1? Same as the router's IP...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thanks again PanBiker. I will try your suggestions later this evening. But Mrs P, who has really got the bit between her teeth, has overridden my trial and error approach and went directly back to TalkTalk and got a deal of sorts which she could live with. ie: A new recorder box from TalkTalk (one off £25) and Free installation engineer. and two free powerlines. And as I Type the TV box has been delivered.
I will continue messing about until it all becomes irrelevant with the new one installed.

Big Kev Don't know but this is what Panbiker is saying
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 14:17 Big Kev Don't know but this is what Panbiker is saying
No worries :-)
Not wanting to step on Ian's toes but the 'gateway' would be 192.168.1.1 and, as suggested, use 192.168.1.10 for the 'recorder IP. I will stand in the corner with my hands on my head if I'm talking rubbish :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I'll have your tuppence Kev and blame it on a brain fart at my end. Of course you are right 192.168.1.1 is default for the Gateway and as its not auto configuring and requires a static address assigning so anything unused in the range should do hence my suggestion of .10 from the pool.

Anyone would think I had not done CISCO accreditation a tutor level, basic subnetting Doh! :surprised:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 14:42 I'll have your tuppence Kev and blame it on a brain fart at my end. Of course you are right 192.168.1.1 is default for the Gateway and as its not auto configuring and requires a static address assigning so anything unused in the range should do hence my suggestion of .10 from the pool.

Anyone would think I had not done CISCO accreditation a tutor level, basic subnetting Doh! :surprised:
It's been a long day :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

As Stanley would say. "All above my pay grade". Off now to give it a try...
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a wife who runs out of patience and presses the nuclear button! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tried the numbers suggested. The Gateway failed although the cable and IP address passed. I even tried ratcheting the Gateway up in the last group from 1-- to 10- through to 14- without any success. The top and bottom of it is that I really don't know the logic of it all, so I'm just blundering away. Time to think again.
Thanks PanBiker and Big Kev.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Can you log into your router?
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Panbiker, sorry I've been mending the tumble dryer. never rains but it pours.
Logged into the router my wired Ip Address for my desktop is 192.168.1.10 That's all it shows for wire

for the wireless connections Band 1 (2.4 GHz)
IP address: 192.168.1.13

does this help?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker, just found this in advanced setting don't know what it all means
Local IPv4 Address 192.168.1.1
Local Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Local Ethernet Mac address D8:7D:7F:9A:1E:2F
Public deleted
Default Gateway 92.2.176.1
Primary DNS Server 79.79.79.79
Secondary DNS Server 79.79.79.80
Last edited by plaques on 02 Oct 2018, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

So your gateway is 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.10 is already in use so leave the gateway at 192.168.1.1 and set the Panasonic recorder well out of the way on say 192.168.1.25, you can use any of the subnet on the last octet up to 255.

IP addresses are unique to each device so you cant have two using the same address on the same subnet.

IPv4 addresses are made up of 4 octets, each representing an 8 bit binary number making 32 bits in total (32 bit addressing). They are converted and expressed as dotted decimal numbers for ease of use.

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 simply put is just saying the first three octets remain constant and only the last octet varies

MAC address is the hardware address expressed in hexadecimal that is unique to that device (they all have to be different as well)

The Public addresses are the ones used on the WAN side of the router, i.e. between your router and the one that your line is plugged into at the exchange
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You might want to hide the public IPs now :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

latest chat with TalkTalk told us that the engineer wouldn't be available until 9 November. Mrs P hit the roof. Wouldn't like to be a TalkTalk rep walking into our house at the moment they wouldn't come out alive.

PanBiker. It looks like I should be trying some setting like

AP address 192.168.1.25 (this is a higher number than before)
Subnet 255.255.255.0 (Remains the same)
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (last tried entry number)

Darn't go into the lion's den just yet, perhaps after a cup of tea an a 12 hour calm down I'll give it try,
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes that should be OK as long as 192.168.1.25 is not already in use . Can't see as it should be as you only have a few devices. The auto IP allocation on the router via DHCP normally issues from the bottom of the range upwards so I cant really see why your wired connection should be on .10 unless it was set up as static address rather than being allocated automatically. If your router is the same as mine you should be able to see all connected devices. Having said that the router will allocate and reserve addresses from the pool for any WiFi devices that have been in range and been used via your local LAN.

There are 6 permanent devices and over 20 others on my router, which include all PC's and family tablets and phones that have used the WiFI or had a wired connection at one time or another. IP addresses are allocated for a set length of time after which they are given back to the pool if not used. The router hangs on to the unique hardware (MAC) address of any previously connected devices including any naming that has been configured on the device. If it comes back into range of the WiFi or is reconnected the router will auto allocate the next available IP from the pool to bring it back into use on the local LAN.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All above my pay grade.....
Isn't it strange that a device that saves us so much time can waste so much as well.......
I hope you get sorted P.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I read in Bill Bryson's 'Made in America' that the first review in the 1930's on the indroduction of TV was that it would never catch on because the americans were so much on the move they would never have time to sit down to watch it. Perhaps computers are a form of entertainment / distraction to keep the plebs from thinking about more serious things.

Which brings me seamlessly onto my internet problems.
The numbers
AP address 192.168.1.25
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
Failed again on gateway. I'm beginning to suspect that the router will only take instructions via its own 8 digit (letters and numbers) code numbers.
If I can pluck up enough enthusiasm I will continue to play about until the men in the white coats come to collect me.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The 8 digit hexadecimal address is the unique hardware identifier for the router and plays no part in communication only electronic identification.

Do you get an error message and if so what does it say.

What is the model of your recorder, if you give me that I'll have a look for the manual online. It may give a clue on how the interface is setup. I can only assume that it is asking for two I/P addresses in dotted decimal format in which case it should work unless you have a definitive error code?
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just had another thought, are you absolutely sure that your powerline adaptors are correctly paired, do they have indicator lights on to confirm the connection?

If you can logon to your router with the gateway address it is correct and should work. If it gives an error message on gateway it must not be able to see the router which comes down to the connection. Can you connect it directly with a cable?
Ian

Return to “Technology & Communication”