COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon I have found it. TalkTalk have changed the naming for the previously auto configured imap settings. All ports and SSL settings remain the same. The client is happy with settings and it syncs OK when invoked manually.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bit like setting valves on engines. I hope I have as good an outcome!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yesterday and again today I'm finding OG slow although other web sites are as fast as usual. Simple things like clicking to send a post or to insert a link are making me wait whereas they are usually instant.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same experience here Tiz, better this morning.
I had a daemon message that I was blacklisted yesterday and my email to Margaret was blocked, I was invited to click on a link but left it well alone. Email with Margaret is OK this morning. Brain fart or attempted scam?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's still the same for me this morning on OG. Not a major problem and I'm not complaining, I can still use the forums, but something has changed. No problems with other sites.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This very minute (8.45) just taken deliver of my Moto G7 phone from Argos. (£99.95) + delivery. Mrs P busily unpacking it and reading instructions. Somehow I get the feeling that I'll have to lever it out of her hands.
Next problem is remembering who to get the sim card from that have been recommended on OG. I don't use these things much and nobody wants to talk to me, texting is a minimum. Any ideas.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 08:05 It's still the same for me this morning on OG. Not a major problem and I'm not complaining, I can still use the forums, but something has changed. No problems with other sites.
Nothing has changed at our end, no upgrades. The version of the phpBB software that the site runs on is five versions behind current and is officially obsolete and no longer has tech support, after tomorrow July 6th it is officially obsolete (end of life). We are between a rock and hard place with the gallery regarding upgrade. There is also an upgrade to the post editor but reluctance for me to upgrade from the feedback I have received in the admin threads.

So as long as we haven' fallen foul of any security issues that the upgrades cater for, any error must be with the hosting service and beyond board admin control.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 08:07 This very minute (8.45) just taken deliver of my Moto G7 phone from Argos. (£99.95) + delivery. Mrs P busily unpacking it and reading instructions. Somehow I get the feeling that I'll have to lever it out of her hands.
Next problem is remembering who to get the sim card from that have been recommended on OG. I don't use these things much and nobody wants to talk to me, texting is a minimum. Any ideas.
I have replied in the Mobile Phone thread Ken.

On another matter the "your settings are out of date" error is back on the Windows Mail client! All the settings are correct so life is too short so I have sacked it off. OneGuy mail for the PayPal account is now setup in Outlook. Begone foul beast. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Anyone who's using a Humax Freesat box, on demand services appear to be down. This looks to be Humax specific and is affecting the whole of the UK, the Freesat Twitter feed is full of complaints that Freesat are directing people to Humax support. They're not open until tomorrow morning...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I use it and hadn't noticed Kev, come to think I didn't do any catch ups yesterday.
Thunderbird mail seems to just plod on regardless. Settings never out of date as they are upgraded by Canonical.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

After vowing I would never succumb to having she whose name shall never be spoken (Amazon Alexa) I gave in. For someone who is now effectively disabled, its a boon, I don't care is I'm giving big data all my secrets. I've ordered more so she can be in most rooms. I can call for help if I fall in the house and my mobile isn't in reach. I have sinned........ :sad:
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sounds like a sensible compromise to me, why make life difficult when the technology is there...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Not to mention the convenience of an in house or beyond intercom, a music system and a google fact checker without getting a phone or computer out........
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 19:32 Anyone who's using a Humax Freesat box, on demand services appear to be down. This looks to be Humax specific and is affecting the whole of the UK, the Freesat Twitter feed is full of complaints that Freesat are directing people to Humax support. They're not open until tomorrow morning...
It's all working again...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Entirely understandable Stephen, I had never thought about that use for it before...... Hope you don't have to use it for that purpose!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 19:32 Anyone who's using a Humax Freesat box, on demand services appear to be down. This looks to be Humax specific and is affecting the whole of the UK, the Freesat Twitter feed is full of complaints that Freesat are directing people to Humax support. They're not open until tomorrow morning...
A bit late but at least they got back to me
Screenshot_20200709-100915_Gmail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And it was in good English as well!
Router was AWOL first thing this morning but then healed itself up. You never miss the water 'til the well runs dry! We rely on our connections so much these days.....
Having said that, the site server is a bit slow again.
Latest Canonical update for Linux has solved the annoying little error message I have been getting on start up for the last ten days. Never interfered with my usage whatever it was but it's gone now.
Keyboard is showing it's age, some letters dropping out particularly the 'V'. Might be time for a replacement!
The keyboard did it again, so I have just bought the same one, Logitech MK270. Can't be having drop outs. This one has done well and owes me nothing so I have stuck with the same brand.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not often you will see me posting at this time of day but Amazon just delivered my keyboard. I say delivered, he just dropped it on the doorstep, no doubt took a pic and buggered off. Still, no sweat I was in and so I have installed it to save doing it tomorrow morning. It was time for a change, lovely soft touch to the keys and so far not a single drop out so I think I was right, it was the keyboard and not me. the old one served me well but it was time for it to be retired.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a difference! I thought it was me and my eyes that was causing the problems but either it was the keyboard or I have had a miracle cure in the night. The mouse is far more accurate as well. Well pleased.
(And the site is quicker this morning but that can't be the keyboard can it?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Twitter has been hit by a massive scam. See THIS BBC report.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My favourite eBay seller of mineral specimens has closed his shop and left the platform. He's moved to Etsy and is thinking of opening his own web site. The reason for the move is big changes at eBay that he says would affect him badly. It's largely due to eBay parting with Paypal. Not surprisingly, the press release from them was all about how much better the change will be for its sellers. I found this explanation on the web: LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That's a bit of an old link Peter. I have not noticed any change yet when I buy on Ebay. Maybe because I am a seller also and have PayPal as my preferred payment option. One thing I have noticed when selling is that you can now choose Ebay as a delivery option. You print the postage label out when you do the invoice for the customer. You drop off at various participating stores.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I see it says `Replacing payment options is a normal process for international retailers. Now, implementing all the changes necessary will be a “multi-year journey” for eBay, as the company announced in its press release. The first signs of the new checkout should appear in the U.S. during the second half of 2018, but it will take until 2021 until the new payment process should be in place.'
I've got an up to date (Feb 2020) version here which says `PayPal and Ebay are set to complete their divorce agreement in July, giving the online marketplace freedom to take control and dramatically expand its own payments experience.' LINK The seller I referred to chose not to respond to an eBay prompt to switch to their new system and they've closed his account.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I haven't had any notification yet regarding any changes and I currently have 10 items for sale on the platform. I'm not particularly bothered at whatever method is used as long as I get paid when folk choose to buy. If it gives more choice for the buyer all well and good. Personally I have never had a problem with PayPal myself.
Ian

Return to “Technology & Communication”