COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

plaques
Donor

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by plaques »

PanBiker, I feel as though I'm putting you to a lot of trouble that could be adding unnecessary stress that you can do without. I really do appreciate your help but take it easy.
Panasonic DMR-HW120. ie: no internet dongle.
The error message form the recorder shown on the Smart TV screen is generated by the 'Easy Network Setting' This is accessed through 'Setup> Internet connections> set IP addresses then putting numbers in.
The error message is Easy Network Checking option just says Gateway failed to connect' Try other inputs, which comes on the IP address option.

As I say unless Mrs P hits the total destruct nuclear button and comes out of Talktalk altogether I'll just play it be ear.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

panBiker I've got two lights on each but that was one of the checks I was going to do. They are a little bag of mystery to me.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No worries P this should be relatively painless and should work. I'm thinking you could have a bit of device contention here, the smart TV may be being a bit too smart and clouding the issue. The TV, smart or not is only the display and should not really figure in this configuration. Cant you enter the connection details directly on the recorder?

I'll have look for the manual and post back here.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ah, right, got the manual and can see that the recorders Easy Network Settings are generated by the recorder and displayed on the TV.

Can you confirm whether DHCP is running on your router please?
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Next check:

Can you open a command prompt on your computer (search for CMD in windows). This will open a DOS type box on your desktop with a prompt >

Enter the command ipconfig and press enter, this will show you all the IP and network settings already configured including gateway and other info.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker, not wishing to clutter up the OG site with details of numbers, which actually mean very little to me and probably less to the readers would it be better to send private e-mails then nobody can see what a thicky I am?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 17:53 PanBiker, not wishing to clutter up the OG site with details of numbers, which actually mean very little to me and probably less to the readers would it be better to send private e-mails then nobody can see what a thicky I am?
The details may be useful to others with a similar issue And it is the 'Computers' thread :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 18:17 The details may be useful to others with a similar issue And it is the 'Computers' thread
OK no real problem but what I would propose is that I will send Ian e-mails and if he would be kind enough blank out any sensitive information and post the rest as part of his answers etc. Does this sound OK to everyone?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for your email P and my apologies if I have replied twice. The battery in my wireless mouse packed up just as I was sending the reply and I couldn't tell if had been sent.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problem about how you deal with the issue P. Don't worry about Ian, this is meat and drink to him and he will be enjoying the challenge! Kev is right, the info could help others.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker's (Ian) help has been invaluable. Initially much of the terminology was way above my head but the links and the prompting for certain information it has cleared a lot of the mystique away. The basic problem is still there with a number of actions on my part outstanding but with a bit of luck we'll get there in the end.

A total side issue on the contact with the TalkTalk 'Chat' lines I am beginning to think that a good portion of the chat is not with humans but with some sophisticated computer programme. Humans only getting involved when the computer can't find a pre-scripted answer. An example of this is that if you ask two different questions in one single reply it totally ignores one of them What does the team think?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here are some of the relevant bits copied from our email exchanges:

First of all the results of running ipconfig on a wired machine connected to the router.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adaptor local area connections
IPAddress 192.168.1.13
Sub net mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Relevant DHCP information from the router

LAN / DHCP
Hostname
xxxxxxxxx

IP address
Subnet Mask

DHCP
Enable (ON)
IPv4 Pool Start 192.168.1.10
IPv4 Pool End 192.168.1.254

An explanation of the data returned:

Everything we need:

The data shows that your Talk Talk router has the DHCP service running. This serves to offer IP Addresses to devices that connect to the router either by cable or via WiFi.

The gateway address is confirmed as 192.168.1.1

The address range set for the DHCP pool are all addresses between 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.255.

So the last octet, (last number in the sequence) can be anything between 10 and 255

The computer you ran the CMD routine from has been allocated 192.168.1.13

As I mentioned on the site the subnet mask address just indicates that only the last octet in the address will vary, the three previous octets will always remain the same.

DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) is an automated service and will auto allocate the next available address from the available pool.

Normally you would only need to define the gateway address, the rest is automatic.

Your recorder requires both the gateway address to be defined and a static IP address. A static IP address is simply one that is manually set rather than an automatically assigned one. All you have to ensure is that the address is not already in use.

The crux of the matter is that you must get it to accept the gateway address without that the network interface in the recorder cannot connect to the router. If it wont see it you are looking at a cabling error of some sort.

Under normal operation most devices only require the gateway. Dynamic hardware like network cards, mobiles, tablets all actively “poll” for connection info. A mobile will seek out active WiFI nodes and ask you which one you want to connect to then it will automatically ask for all the connection credentials it needs to create the link. Same goes for network cards in computers. When you plug it into the router it will automatically poll for configuration information, router will give it an IP address and away you go.

192.168.1.25 should be out of range of any other stuff you may have connected so should work if you can get the gateway address sorted.

Further mail from P about other IP addresses allocated:

As above I have blanked out any identifiable device data.

Hi Ian,

Some more info It looks like these addresses are sequenced through wi-fi
and wired. The next wired could be 192.168.1.14 Does this make sense?

My Devices
Wireless connections
Band 1 (2.4 GHz)
IP address: 192.168.1.11
android- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IP address: 192.168.1.12
Band 2 (5 GHz)

My reply and we are up to date on email exchanges:

You are correct, these are IP’s that have been allocated to WiFi connected devices, mobiles, tablets etc

192.168.1.25 should be well out of the way of anything set by DHCP which is why I suggested this address. Static IP’s (manually set) do not have to be allocated in strict order they can be from anywhere in the pool range as long as they are not already in use.

I will copy some bits up from the previous email for the thread on One Guy.

Post or mail when you have tested the Powerlink and cabling if you can.

You have to get the box to see the gateway.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

More mail from Plaques

Ian, The mist is beginning to clear.The powerlines I am using are nearly 3 years old and may not have connected properly. I will try these again and afterwards replace them with a second pair which I've never use. Why the Easy Network setting check should register a pass is a mystery.
As we have another smart TV with built-in Internet capability I think I will try to set this up and see what happens to the IP addressing.

You can put all my results these findings on OG if you think it would help others, but take it easy.

Thanks again P.

My wife is very much concerned that I'm pushing too much work on you and the last thing we want to do is cause more stress. I'll leave it up to you but I think we have got it sorted anyhow.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

P, tell your good lady thanks but there is no need for concern, keeps me occupied. My current symptoms (when they manifest) are not triggered by exercise or effort and it's nice to know that my brain is still functioning to some degree, if you excuse the original gateway gaff. :biggrin2:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on track, it's probably worth mentioning that the 192.168.X.X range of addresses are reserved for private network use. As the use is always on the user side of routers they are in effect ring fenced from the rest of the world and exist in microcosm so the same addresses can be reused on hundreds of thousands of routers around the world.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Please do not send personal emails to Ian to the webmaster address at one guy. It comes to me.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sorry Pluggy a total misunderstanding on my part. Won't happen again.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good job the fridge and the cooker aren't connected as well...... It's a brave new world. Include me out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Some of us got over brave new world 30 years ago.... It screws you over whatever, the good stuff makes you feel better while its screwing you over. The bad stuff just screws you over.

Maybe if I hadn't been in this game as long as I have, I wouldn't be so cynical.....
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've used Bluetooth for the first time today due to our fancy recording radio having died. It had allowed us to set programmes to record in advance of broadcast using EPG similar to that used for TV. It seems nobody makes radios like that any more and also the EPG was getting unreliable and topping and tailing recordings. Now I've got the Samsung tablet I've bought a Bluetooth speaker and registered with BBC iPlayer. This is the speaker I got from Argos: LINK I chose it because it has 16 hours time on a full charge.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pluggy, you're not cynical, you're realistic!
Tiz, I don't even know what Bluetooth is......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My understanding of Bluetooth as a non-techie is that it's a way of connecting two or more electronic gadgets short-range by wireless without the need for a router. On my Samsung tablet I can listen to BBC Radio live or as iPlayer and podcast downloads but the sound quality is poor. I bought the Sony Bluetooth speaker so I could get good sound but without needing a cable connection. On buying the speaker I charged it, switched on and pressed the pairing button. Then put the tablet next to it and went into the tablet's menu to switch on its Bluetooth. It found the Sony signal immediately and I could then go into my iPlayer account and get good quality sound and volume. We can also connect the speaker by Bluetooth to Mrs Tiz's smartphone. If I buy a second one of the speakers they can be paired together to provide stereo sound. My Sony cost £39.99 at Argos online but you can get them much cheaper, such as the Jam speaker at £15.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've used Bluetooth to connect devices - especially my phone, for hands free in the car. This happened almost accidentally - fiddling with the control panel whilst waiting for the train at the level crossing. The result is literally (for me) amazing. I don't have to do a thing, - the phone stays in my pocket - and I have full (intuitive) functionality. Rarely used of course - no on rings me. :smile:

Earlier in the week someone wanted to send me a photo. I gave her my email address. She called yesterday, and said she was struggling, and could I use Whatsap instead. OK says I, but I'll need to join. Went to the phone entered the playstore, and guess what - top of the list of 'recommended for you'' applications was Whatsapp.

Are they reading my emails ? I wouldn't be surprised. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's all supposed to be encrypted David.... But who knows....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, perhaps this is how Mrs Google is able to send you ads on your phone just at the appropriate moment! Note that it applies to other phones, not just Apple iphones. It relates to activities back in 2011 but I'll bet they're still at it.
`Google iPhone data privacy case blocked by High Court' LINK
`The High Court has blocked a bid to sue Google for allegedly unlawfully taking data from 4.4 million UK iPhone users....Google has paid $39.5m in the US to settle earlier claims against it over similar data-gathering claims. '

Return to “Technology & Communication”