COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 09:34
Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 07:54 I'd be lost without a connection, I did look at fibre again yesterday but they still want too much money. My ADSL connection still meets my needs so I can't justify paying the extra.
Kev, I don't know which provider you're with but have a look at these cheap fibre deals which have just been flagged up to me in an email from MoneySavingsExpert.com. Deals
Also, there are these Plusnet deals. I'm on the £32.50 one and get close to the 38Mbps speed Plusnet

Stanley, I hope Kev's suggestion gets your radio link working! :smile:
They are good deals but still more than ADSL, I currently pay £21 a month for Unlimited broadband, anytime calls (including UK mobiles) and line rental with Sky.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I think Radio 2 not playing may be a Linux Firefox thing. It doesn't work in Firefox for me either. My other 2 browsers (Chrome and Chromium) work fine.

It doesn't matter if I click the play in the popup or not. The other two just start playing.

Its pretty easy to install Chromium from the Ubuntu software centre. Chrome takes a little convincing with the command line.

Chromium is the open source browser that Google use as the basis for Chrome. Having a second browser is never a bad thing in my world. Great diagnosis tool when you don't know which end is having the problem.

I won't be paying extra for Fibre either. The plain old ADSL2 will happily run the wife playing on Facebook and me watching a HD movie or something on Amazon prime at the same time.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I got my wires crossed and looked at Radio 2 and not Radio 4, However, it makes no odds, neither work in Firefox, both work in the other browsers.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pluggy wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 10:02 I got my wires crossed and looked at Radio 2 and not Radio 4, However, it makes no odds, neither work in Firefox, both work in the other browsers.
I did get R4 Listen Live to work here on my W10 laptop in Firefox by using the start button...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In a post up above I've given Stanley the step by step simple details of how to install Chromium. The radio link can't be all that important too him if he doesn't install it!

Pluggy and Kev, perhaps you get faster ADSL speeds than we did. We moved to fibre because ADSL was very slow here.

Mrs Tiz got an Ubuntu update for her 32-bit version this morning but it stopped part way through and said it couldn't complete. It said there might be something wrong with the upgrade or the software and offered a `partial upgrade'. We cancelled it because `upgrade' usually means a different thing to `update'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 10:35 Pluggy and Kev, perhaps you get faster ADSL speeds than we did. We moved to fibre because ADSL was very slow here.
Speedtests show between 19-20mbps down and 1-1.4 up which does for me. I stream music, films and BBC i-player without any issue. There are only 2 of us in the house and there are usually 2 or 3 connected devices.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Big Kev wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 10:08
Pluggy wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 10:02 I got my wires crossed and looked at Radio 2 and not Radio 4, However, it makes no odds, neither work in Firefox, both work in the other browsers.
I did get R4 Listen Live to work here on my W10 laptop in Firefox by using the start button...
Windows and Linux. Officially Firefox works the same in both, but in practice........

Installing Chromium is probably Stanley's easiest way forward.

I get about 13Mb/s on ADSL2.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We used to get about 6 Mbps on ADSL so we got a 6x increase in speed. Also, we shifted to a cheaper deal so we got 6x faster and for less money! We're still happy with Plusnet, we almost never get any disconnections (crosses fingers and touches wood).

I ordered a Brother HL-L2300D Mono Laser Printer from Amazon last Friday, £64.99 with free delivery and sold by Amazon, to replace our Brother HL-2300 which has worn itself out after many years of use. Although on free delivery it arrived today, which is plenty fast enough for me! It's unpacked and being allowed to get up to room temperature then I'll connect it and find out if I need to download a new printer file. It does 26ppm and double-sided printing and the cartridges can be refilled.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 11:14 It does 26ppm and double-sided printing and the cartridges can be refilled.
As you know I'm a great fan of Brother printers, when I was in charge of the IT budget and procuring in the education sector I used nothing else due to their pro active drive for re-fillable toners. They were one of the first manufacturers to introduce separate drum and toner units in LED driven "laser", (actually electrostatic) printers. I used to stock bulk toner bottles and reduced the consumables bill for all the student printing by over 70%.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you know Kev, I knew it would be something simple..... I tied the start button and it's fine. Funny thing is I have never had to do that before and I don't need to do it on Listen again. Whatever, it's working!
Even stranger, I tried it again just to make sure and it started itself automatically just like it always has before..... Bloody computers!!!!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sorted :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tried it this morning and it's gone back to auto starting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It is marvellous when someone in India can check your speeds and alter them - mine had slowed right down, he asked me to do a speed test and I only had 3,41Mbps he has increased it to where it should be. Now all I need is for Stephen to come when he is better and get my printer to print instead of wanting to put everything I want to print in a pdf file. He fixed it when he was here before but although it did it when he was here next time I tried it was back to its old tricks.
Say only a little but say it well.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Moh wrote: 17 Mar 2017, 13:55 Now all I need is for Stephen to come when he is better and get my printer to print instead of wanting to put everything I want to print in a pdf file. He fixed it when he was here before but although it did it when he was here next time I tried it was back to its old tricks.
Not wanting to put Stephen out of work but it could just be as simple as choosing the printer in the menu. I don't know what application you're printing from but most use a similar process, the example I've used is Microsoft Word. When you choose to print a document you should have a dialogue box open (looks a bit like the image below)
Image I've highlighted a small arrow in the image, if you click on this it will open a list which should have your printer in it. If it's there just 'click' on it and all should be good, if the printer isn't in the list it'll need further investigation :-). Hope this helps.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 11:57Tizer wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am
It does 26ppm and double-sided printing and the cartridges can be refilled.
As you know I'm a great fan of Brother printers...
I was pleased to find the Brother installation was easy once I'd searched out a web page giving me the instructions for downloading and installing the driver file on Ubuntu. Previous Brother printers have been straightforward too but this was a slightly different process. For anyone else who needs to do the same this is the web page I followed: LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Mar 2017, 14:58
Moh wrote: 17 Mar 2017, 13:55 Now all I need is for Stephen to come when he is better and get my printer to print instead of wanting to put everything I want to print in a pdf file. He fixed it when he was here before but although it did it when he was here next time I tried it was back to its old tricks.
Not wanting to put Stephen out of work but it could just be as simple as choosing the printer in the menu. I don't know what application you're printing from but most use a similar process, the example I've used is Microsoft Word. When you choose to print a document you should have a dialogue box open (looks a bit like the image below)
Image I've highlighted a small arrow in the image, if you click on this it will open a list which should have your printer in it. If it's there just 'click' on it and all should be good, if the printer isn't in the list it'll need further investigation :-). Hope this helps.
Did you have any luck, Moh?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Radio 4 is still flaky. I had to repeat the start up procedure three times this morning before it kicked in.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Thanks Ian it is sorted - as you put it it was to Microsoft to pdf for some reason- now to my printer - thankyou.
Say only a little but say it well.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Moh wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 14:23 Thanks Ian it is sorted - as you put it it was to Microsoft to pdf for some reason- now to my printer - thankyou.
Top job, Ian :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Credit to Kev Moh.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:grin: :laugh5:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I listened to the radio this morning where they were discussing why gadgets such as laptops and tablets had been banned from cabin luggage but still allowed in the luggage in the hold. A lady was saying that an explosive device against the wall of the cabin could kill the passengers by de-pressurisation whereas an aircraft can survive a hole in the wall of the hold. They didn't seem to have any other ideas. The reason for the distinction seemed obvious to me: a gadget in the cabin can be used to disseminate poison gas or radioactive powder, either by exploding or by dispersal under high pressure. It wouldn't do any immediate harm in the hold.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Big Kev wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 15:35
Moh wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 14:23 Thanks Ian it is sorted - as you put it it was to Microsoft to pdf for some reason- now to my printer - thankyou.
Top job, Ian :grin:
Good job I'm laid back about work being taken from under my nose :grin:

My first pension is on the horizon, I'm officially semi retired.......
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Tizer wrote: 22 Mar 2017, 09:27 I listened to the radio this morning where they were discussing why gadgets such as laptops and tablets had been banned from cabin luggage but still allowed in the luggage in the hold. A lady was saying that an explosive device against the wall of the cabin could kill the passengers by de-pressurisation whereas an aircraft can survive a hole in the wall of the hold. They didn't seem to have any other ideas. The reason for the distinction seemed obvious to me: a gadget in the cabin can be used to disseminate poison gas or radioactive powder, either by exploding or by dispersal under high pressure. It wouldn't do any immediate harm in the hold.
The obvious one is that the gadget isn't immediately accessible by its user in the hold.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Does it need to be manually accessible? Could it not be remotely operated from someone in the cabin?

Return to “Technology & Communication”