COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Stanley »

Well done! Nice to see that you've settled in straight away! The card reader is wandering round in the postal system somewhere but will eventually arrive. Nice to have something to look forward to! Kev, you'll be the first to know when it is up and running.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm happy to report that Pluggy has been and done his magic, the FMIII is up and running. Kev is calling round for the FMII tomorrow so he's happy. As for speed.... Pluggy was right, it's a serious improvement on the FMII and that's a fast machine. What surprises me is how much faster anything on Firefox is. I always assumed the limiting factor was ISP speed but it's quite obviously not, loading and page changes on Onguy are instantaneous. Very pleased, well done Pluggy, all up and running and now all I have to get used to is the different interface in 12.4.2 Ubuntu but that will soon come with use. A happy bunny!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am sorry to have to report there is a serious flaw with the new OS. It doesn't have the day and date at the top of the page! I lose track of the days and it is very handy having that reminder first thing in the morning! Must look into this. I am reminded of the old joke about you knowing you are in trouble when you wake up and a lady in a uniform says "Good Morning Mr Graham! It's Saturday!" Otherwise everything is going OK. Interesting getting used to the new interface and the box is completely silent. Good man Pluggy! Expecting Kev this morning......
On another matter; I need a bit of advice. I've lost my spell checker on Firefox during the changeover and when I looked them up in the add-ons the one that seemed most obvious was one which flagged up all mistakes on the web page. I don't think I want that. Can anyone point me to one that just edits the text box you are working on? The spell check on the new replacement for Open Office (Libre Office writer) works fine.
Later.... after a bit of furtling round I now have a day and date. This feels like a very strange interface after 10.4. Not sure if it's me but it doesn't seem to be as inuitive as the old one. No doubt it will become better with practice. Lots of playing around indicated!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

staylforth

Post by staylforth »

Theres a bug in later versions of Firefox where there isn't a dictionary defined, but its easily rectified. In an area where you would expect to find spell checking - where you put a post in OGFB is ideal :

Right click somewhere in the box, Ensure spell checking is ticked AND click on Languages and click 'English (United Kingdom)'. That fixed mine. I normally use Chrome so I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it.
staylforth

Post by staylforth »

Whoops I forgot I had Firefox logging in as my alter ego - staylforth is pluggy's ordinary OGFB User. I use it to check things work when its not an Administrator that's logged in.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Back to the usual me....
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The FM2 is in my possession and I am armed with Windows 7 and Photoshop discs. That'll keep me out of mischief tomorrow.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" I use it to check things work when its not an Administrator that's logged in."

That was at my request. Thanks Steven, I've done as you suggested, (reboot after removing and replacing the battery), and it has cured everything. In fact everything seems to have speeded up a little. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is me testing to see if the spell checker works. Thanks Pluggy, instant cure. Isn't it nice to have friends..... And yes, I'm playing with the new box!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Been gathering in the software to install on the FM2, installation was planned for today but a roast dinner has taken priority. Another day tomorrow. Will probably drop into Stanley's tomorrow to pick up all the manuals for the machine (yes, I did get your message) :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A question for our gurus.... There is a new version of Gimp, 2.8, but I can't find any easy way of upgrading. I have found the option in software for removing the current version but the replacement version i9n the list is the one I have, 2.6. Is it a question of waiting for Ubuntu to get up to date?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:A question for our gurus.... There is a new version of Gimp, 2.8, but I can't find any easy way of upgrading. I have found the option in software for removing the current version but the replacement version i9n the list is the one I have, 2.6. Is it a question of waiting for Ubuntu to get up to date?
I don't claim to be a guru, but

Open a Terminal and type sudo apt-get autoremove gimp gimp-plugin-registry then the return key

then type sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp return

then sudo apt-get update return

then sudo apt-get install gimp return

Cheers
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ubuntu LTS won't offer you the latest version of any software until the Ubuntu developers are confident that it is fully functional and compatible with Ubuntu.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Its unlikely that Ubuntu will update gimp within the lifetime of Ubuntu 12.04 . Its only recently fairly recently that Firefox was kept up to date, they used to just do security updates on the existing package. There's upsides and downsides to using a LTS version. Not having the latest software is one of the downsides. As bigkev says you can get the latest if you wish. Personally I'd stay put.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

All the above posts are gobbledy gook to me, I wish I understood it all!1
On to another senior moment - I was trying to put the card out of my camera into the computer to down load my holiday snaps, and as the computer is on the floor, and my knees not allowing much bending, I was feeling for the slot to put said card in. Unfortunately I found the one next door which is much bigger - result, card has disappeared through this slot and cannot be found - any advice as to how to get it back (tipping up does not work!).
Say only a little but say it well.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Pair of tweezers and a flash light ?. As someone who regularly has to open up laptops, you don't want to go in there with a screwdriver, trust me....
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Tried the flash light, it cannot be seen anywhere!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Re reading, if the computer is on the floor, its probably not a laptop, but a desktop. Screwdriver time......

Since there isn't a standard type of card reader and several different types of card, its difficult to be specific without seeing it. The cards I use in mine (SD cards used by many cameras) won't actually go inside anywhere on my card reader .
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote:Been gathering in the software to install on the FM2, installation was planned for today but a roast dinner has taken priority. Another day tomorrow. Will probably drop into Stanley's tomorrow to pick up all the manuals for the machine (yes, I did get your message) :grin:
It's up and running with Windows 7, I may be some time installing all the available updates from MS now...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It is not a lap top, I don't know what type of card it is - about 1 1/2 in x 1 in I think - looks like it is lost!!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm having a problem with the new Ubuntu 12.04 which seems to have affected other people judging from the Ubuntu forums.
The screen freezes except for the mouse cursor, most often when viewing web pages. A search on the Ubuntu forums showed this is a bug in the latest 32 and 64 bit versions of the Linux kernel, possibly due to a bad interaction with specific Intel chips:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2128691&page=2
The thread title suggest that it's to do with xserver-xorg-video-intel but later posts suggest not.
I'm currently booting into the grub menu and selecting the one earlier Linux kernel that it offers, 3.5.0-23-generic, instead of the 3.5.0-26-generic. That seemed OK until a short time ago when I got the same problem but with that kernel. I could install an even earlier kernel to try and avoid the bug but it worries me that I won't then get proper updates and might not have full security.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Looks like an SD card into a CF slot , depends how old the desktop machine is, fairly straightforward with screwdrivers , power off and unplugged , just a pain moving the box about, other tool needed might be plastic tweezers.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Hmmm, my up to date 32 Bit Ubuntu 12.04 uses 3.2.0-39-generic-pae, It looks like 32 bit and 64 bit are using different kernel versions. The present Raspberry Pi kernel is at 3.6.11, although thats in a high state of flux. Possible downside to 64 bit ?. Putting a video card in to override the onboard Intel setup is one option
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

An SD card looks like this :

It is about the size you state.
Moh
Silver Surfer