COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Stanley »

This was always well subscribed, perhaps it could include the old 'Kicking the Windows Habit'. Any word yet on the Orange upgrade promised in October 2011?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Callunna

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Callunna »

Just a small point - “ecstasy” is spelled wrong in the subject title, which probably only matters to anally retentive people like myself but I just had to mention it...
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

According to 'Sam Knows' Barlick's 21CN upgrade has been put back to the end of March 2012.........
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Orange no longer appear as an LLU, so it not just Barlick that lost out, its every non 21CN exchange in the country.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well at least I tried. It let me correct it on this page, don't know whether it will work....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I corrected them Stanley. Must keep Calluna Happy :lol: I ran into her on the way to the bank yesterday.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy wrote:I corrected them Stanley. Must keep Calluna Happy :lol: I ran into her on the way to the bank yesterday.
Who came off worst?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I thought that!
He had to swerve several times before he hit me... :o
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hope it was a pedestrian incident and not a road traffic accident in the making!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had exactly the same image in mind. Nice because I think I detect banter creeping back in as we all become more used to the new format, less stress, more leg-pulling. (I even used a smiley... Is this progress?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:(I even used a smiley... Is this progress?)
Or is it that those herbs in your front garden are not the innocent kitchen varieties that we believe!?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't be, they have all died back. Fumes from stove?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A Linux question for Pluggy.

I have a Compaq Presario V5000 Laptop with Ubuntu 11.04 on it and can't get the S-Video output to work. Video card is ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE). It uses the open source video driver that came with Ubuntu 11.04

I'd be grateful for any assistance. :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kev, in the absence of Pluggy have you tried searching the Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org)

A question for those of you on Firefox. I'm using Firefox 9.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux and there was a big update to it a few days ago. Since then, when we connect to what should be secure web pages we no longer get the padlock symbol on the Firefox toolbar. There is a symbol in the page itself but this could be false. Anyone else had this problem on Windows or Linux?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: A question for those of you on Firefox. I'm using Firefox 9.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux and there was a big update to it a few days ago. Since then, when we connect to what should be secure web pages we no longer get the padlock symbol on the Firefox toolbar. There is a symbol in the page itself but this could be false. Anyone else had this problem on Windows or Linux?
Tiz, I use FF so I have just done a test to see what happens. I am running Windows XP SP3 on my laptop which had FF 9.0.1.
I logged onto the National Lottery site and into my user account and it gave me a "yale key" symbol in the URL header as normal. I clicked on Help and About Firefox to double check my version and it advised me that another update was available. I downloaded and applied. This has taken my version up to 10.0 and FF reports that it is "up to date". I rechecked the National Lottery site on my secure login and it still displays the security icon at the front of the URL header. A Key with the first bit of the address in green.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Big Kev wrote:A Linux question for Pluggy.

I have a Compaq Presario V5000 Laptop with Ubuntu 11.04 on it and can't get the S-Video output to work. Video card is ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE). It uses the open source video driver that came with Ubuntu 11.04

Sometimes some of the more obscure parts of hardware aren't covered by the linux drivers. This can be for a variety of reasons, no documentation or support from the manufacturer is common. The Radeon driver works OK through the laptop screen, but you can't get an output from the s-video port I take is the problem ?. Linux works fine on the majority of hardware but is often lacking in the 'very new, very old or very rare categories'. I suspect the s-video port on your laptop is one of the latter. (none of the 4 laptops I have to hand have an s-video output), I can't suggest a solution, I'm sorry.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Tizer wrote:Kev, in the absence of Pluggy have you tried searching the Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org)

A question for those of you on Firefox. I'm using Firefox 9.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux and there was a big update to it a few days ago. Since then, when we connect to what should be secure web pages we no longer get the padlock symbol on the Firefox toolbar. There is a symbol in the page itself but this could be false. Anyone else had this problem on Windows or Linux?
They've done away with it on later versions, secure sites with a correct certificate show green in the URL box as in the example below.

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pluggy wrote:
Big Kev wrote:A Linux question for Pluggy.

Sometimes some of the more obscure parts of hardware aren't covered by the linux drivers. This can be for a variety of reasons, no documentation or support from the manufacturer is common. The Radeon driver works OK through the laptop screen, but you can't get an output from the s-video port I take is the problem ?. Linux works fine on the majority of hardware but is often lacking in the 'very new, very old or very rare categories'. I suspect the s-video port on your laptop is one of the latter. (none of the 4 laptops I have to hand have an s-video output), I can't suggest a solution, I'm sorry.
No problemo. Thanks for the response. I'll check a few Ubuntu forums and see if anyone has got around it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Re. the update to Firefox. I had a biggie a couple of days ago for my Ubuntu 64 bit OS and the only thing I have noticed is that my navigation bar has gone AWOL. The menu button isn't doing anything so I am working round it using the History tab until someone realises and posts a fix. This is generally what happens. No other issues but I only use it at very low level.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Correction to the above, it's not the navigation bar that's gone AWOL but the useful downward facing arrow that allowed you to put a list of previous pages up. It used to be next to the normal navigation arrows but has vanished.
Edit: Pure accident but I have found the way to do it, a left click on the navigation bar brings the list up. I suppose I should have known...... Being basically incompetent is a bugger at times.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley, I presume you mean right click on the navigation bar and then select `Customise' and drag the `History' button onto your bar. You can also use the right click to get a tick box for putting the tabs below the nav bar or above it.

Ian and Pluggy, thanks for the info about the Firefox security icon. We'll check for the green text when we log on to the bank site next. Just tried to log on to the Nationwide but it was taking ages and I gave up. It's always slow but was glacial just now. I wish the software people wouldn't change important things to do with security and not flag it up somewhere in big text when you next use the programme!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Tizer, the main nationwide page is usually very slow. I keep the secure site url handy because its normally very quick direct.

https://onlinebanking.nationwide.co.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, you're right, it should have been right click (these old farts.....) but I don't need to customise, the RIGHT click on the arrows brings up the original list and the thing I like about this route is that it doesn't reload the page so the topics stay in the same place. Makes it easier to work down the active list.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy, thanks for that Nationwide link, it's very fast and much better than the one that Mrs Tiz has been using. You've made her day! :cool4:

Ubuntu has installed Firefox 10 and I'm still finding odd things different. I sometimes use `Page Source' to see code in web pages and I'm sure it used to be under the View or Edit menu, but I had to search and found it under Tools | Web Developer. I used to have a Reload button for updating web pages but that's no longer available, so I'm using Ctrl R instead. Stanley, don't you use the History menu for links to recently closed pages? And Ctrl Shift T to open the most recently closed page.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

They moved the reload button as well Tiz........

Return to “Technology & Communication”