COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tizer »

Still nothing more from Plusnet about my broadband fault and the connection is still slow.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Have they raised a ticket with Open Reach for you Tiz?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think so but I'm not sure. I'm communicating with them online because it takes too long by phone or chat. They write in what to me is gibberish, lots of codes, things like CTC-FTTI, so I don't really know what's going on. When I ask questions they don't respond. I used to tell people that Plusnet was a good ISP but no longer.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That's not very good for a customer help line, Invariably they will be talking to non IT types, it's just trying to bamboozle you with science and sounds good but means nothing. A quick Google tells me that CTC is Central Tube Cable and FTII is referenced in fibre optic cable manufacturers specs. Fine if they were talking to a network infrastructure engineer but they are not!

From what you describe it sounds like you have an external problem, all they need to tell you is that they have instigated a fault ticket with Open Reach. I'm fairly certain that when TalkTalk did that for me I had an email to say the ticket was raised and I got another one from Open Reach to say that they had the job, they then sent an update when they had a date for the engineers visit. Once its handed over it is nothing to do with your ISP. I would assume that Open Reach would close the ticket with the supplier once the repair has been sorted.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I had the same with Open Reach and Sky. Openreach contacted me to say that an engineer was investigating and would contact me directly, which he did.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When the BT engineer sorted mine he said that his report to Talktalk would specifically point out that it was a faulty Master Socket and therefore a network fault. This meant I wouldn't be charged. He told me that if Talktalk played silly buggers and tried to charge me for the repair I should refuse and refer them to his report. Evidently he had come across cases where the ISP had tried to charge the customer.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

It looks like openreach sorted my problem. Speedy broadband and clear phone line is back.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pluggy, nice to hear about something that has worked as it should do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I've subscribed to a VPN to get around the Great Fire Wall of China and I'm currently using a HongKong server, you may have noticed from your stats. I can now access servers located in many locations around the globe depending on which is fastest at the time. It speeds up access to some websites but slows others eg Chinese websites are faster without going to HK and back, and OGFB was never a problem.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

At last Plusnet have responded to my broadband fault. I even got a message from someone in Customer Services who left her full name! It's rather intimidating but I've agreed and given them a time and days and we'll see what happens next. This is the Plusnet message:

Thank you for getting in contact. I am very sorry for the delay in getting back in contact with you. I have had a look into this for you and can see that an engineer did go out externally to see if they could rectify the problem. They have now requested us to make an appointment with your self so that they can come and investigate this internally. Before we can send out an engineer we would need the following statement to be read and agreed to:
As part of the investigation of this fault, we may need an engineer to visit your property to test the line.
If the engineer finds the problem is with:
� Your internal wiring
� Your equipment
� The condition of your property
� If the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden work
� Or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of �65 to cover the cost of the engineer.
This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days notice. This charge will apply at all times whilst we are working on the fault and you'll need to accept this statement again if the issue is closed and then re-opened. Do you have any questions, or shall I go ahead and raise the fault? Can you please reply to this email with your acceptance of the statement and also advise us of 3 days and time that you will be available between Monday - Friday between the hours of 8am -1pm or 1pm -6pm.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That is the same format of the terms Talktalk used with me Tiz. Be nice to the engineer and get him to certify it was BT equipment that was at fault.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What a surprise! Plusnet actually telephoned me today and arranged for the BT man to come tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back later!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I hope that sorts you Peter.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The BT engineer has improved matters by fixing a new master socket and he also says Plusnet should give us a new router. He was here 2.5 hours but was very good - told us everything he was doing, and why. I'll explain more later and when I've had a response from Plusnet.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Speaking of routers. I needed to get wifi access my refurbished study at the far end of my property, where the existing router wifi signal didn't reach. The 'web' said a new router might be the answer. I rang Plusnet, and waited patiently half an hour for a reply. The guy said since I had my present router for eight years, and I was in contract with them till next Spring - they would send me a new one.

It arrived very quickly, but as I suspected made no difference at all. I have an app on my Wileyfox that measures field strength - and they were identical. However I also have a phone socket in the study, so I've put the new router next to it, and it works fine. It doesn't work if both routers are switched on, but with either of them on they are fine.

Problem (almost) solved :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Does he need a pair of those wifi plugs like Tiz and I use?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have a wifi 'extender' provided FOC by Sky. Placed near the edge of the wifi range of the router it gives a little more coverage at the expense of a small amount of bandwidth. It also has an RJ45 socket which is useful for my VOIP Mitel phone I use for work.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 03 Oct 2017, 19:17 I also have a phone socket in the study, so I've put the new router next to it, and it works fine. It doesn't work if both routers are switched on, but with either of them on they are fine.
I've pondered this action myself but not understanding the configuring aspect I've never followed it through. The really big advantage would be to have them both running at the same time. Must have another look at it but just reading instructions leaves me baffled, could do with a really good YouTube explanation.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 07:52 just reading instructions leaves me baffled
Me too. :smile: I asked about a range extender, and Plusnet said they are OK, but would not recommend a particular one. Using them seperately isn't a problem for me - I live alone, and can't be in two places at once - so that's all good then, going forward.

I'm currently grappling with manipulating short videos, and struggling. I'm sure if someone who knew what they were talking about sat with me, I'd soon master it. I think more instructional stuff should be on TV. There's very little, and that 'Click' programme is unwatchable.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, have you tried using a Powerline adapter for your study? We've used them for years now they're great. You can buy a pair and have one at your router and the other in the study. You can use it in the study to connect simply with cable to your PC or you can have a wifi version so you can use your mobile gadgets in the study. Speeds up to 600Mbps. The engineer who came here yesterday loves them and said he has them all over his house.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Connecting 2 routers together with ethernet cable (what you'd use to connect a desktop computer to the router) and disconnecting one of the routers from the phone line would probably work.......

You cannot have 2 connected to the same phoneline/broadband account.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I swapped from using a WiFi adaptor to my computer in my radio room to powerline adaptors there is no comparison. Powerline gives you full bandwidth (or share if you have other devices on) an no drop outs.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Powerline, that's what I was trying to remember. Only thing with mine is that occasionally the equipment stops talking to its mates. I just unplug the adapter and the Freesat box for ten seconds and plug them in again. The signal re-establishes itself. Otherwise, fit and forget!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My latest message from Plusnet reads:
Your fault Ticket has now been taken off hold. This has now been forwarded to the relevant support team. We will carry on investigating your problem and your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available.
[INTERNAL]
Ticket now off hold. Please action.
-------------------------------------------------
It's back to the waiting game again!

Return to “Technology & Communication”