COLD CALLS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COLD CALLS

Post by Tizer » 19 Mar 2018, 15:20

That's right, it's a scam. I think it was Paul Lewis I heard on the radio (Money Box) saying that scammers had started that trick. Of course they use it as a way to get your personal information.

We've had the same problem with genuine services withholding their phone numbers when calling us, including care services and hospitals. It's a failure of management in the organisations to set up their phone services appropriately for the job.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 20 Mar 2018, 04:44

I'm reasonably free from them perhaps due to the fact I ignore the phone so much but I had one yesterday, hung up of course.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

StoneRoad
Regular User

Post by StoneRoad » 20 Mar 2018, 08:54

As for registering on-line with the real TPS - I've done a few for various elderly persons now.
Had the Microsoft virus one yesterday (first for months) and managed almost ten minutes before he twigged. I was using my lap top at the time so he would have heard me "typing" and muttering ! That's ten minutes when he wasn't scamming someone else.
OH has great fun with the switching gas and electric callers - it isn't until they get asked when they can make the first delivery of gas that they realise we have LPG ...
I know several people that have worked in call centres, not scamming ones, and from their accounts it isn't that nice a job. So unless they repeat calls or get to persistent I'm usually "fairly" polite.
Apart from TalkTalk - they get as rude as I can manage for as long as possible. They scammed my elderly father a few years ago and it took a long time and much expense before we sorted the mess out. I know he would never have agreed to switch his 'phone or anything else without paperwork to read ...
Saluton. Mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 21 Mar 2018, 06:30

I made the mistake of picking up the phone on a cold call two days ago and am now having to ignore the phone ringing again. I must have triggered the 'active number' algorithm......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Technology & Communication”