MEDICAL MATTERS

Moh
Silver Surfer

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Moh »

One good benefit we do have are the volunteers who drive people to hospital appointments if needed, I made full use of them when I had to go to Preston every day,it would have been too much for Fred.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, good point about the volunteer drivers. At the moment we are managing nicely, Airedale from Barlick isn't easy by public transport, usually Susan has Mick's car but for instance today will involve taxis and will cost somewhere north of £40 but I am standing all those costs and will do as long as I am able.
As for the Attendance Allowance, I don't really understand what the problem is. Nobody can foresee the future and as the excellent adviser said, it's wise to get into the system even if you never have to take advantage of it. As Wendy said, it costs nowt and is just good forward planning.
As for support.... I have it in spades from Susan at the moment. As for the future, who knows? Ian has made me aware of the resource available at Bosom Friends and they do a wonderful job. By the end of the month I shall have an idea of the size of the rabbit and once I have that clear I shall know what extra help, if any, I am going to need. One thing is worth remembering, the most valuable thing to someone in my position is living a normal life, supporting my own sky and being there as a resource for the kids without having to call on anyone. As long as I am able I shall be aiming for that!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

When Dave had his first bladder cancer op ( we already knew it hadn't spread beyond the bladder due to CT), he woke up and his doctor said "You had bladder cancer. You no longer HAVE bladder cancer because I have now removed it. Live your life with that thought." When the cancer returned the second time, he said " You had bladder cancer again. That is a bit of a bummer. You no longer HAVE bladder cancer because I have removed it again, and we know it hasn't spread and never will...provided we keep a regular check. Live your life with that thought. It is gone."
So that is how we have lived our lives. It is GONE. Doesn't mean it won't come back, but for now we live our lives as normal because there is no cancer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! I hope I have a similar result......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have a medical transport mini bus, that will collect you from your home and drop you back. You have to book of Course.
( and you have to be pretty ill to use it).
I did look it up out of interest some time back...and although we see it buzzing past quite regularly...I explained to Dave it was for folk "with one leg and only half a lung left".
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Got a letter back from the DVLA regarding my ability to drive. They say they have written to my consultant and that they will review my case when they have a reply, this could take up to six weeks. They also state that my ability to drive will be based solely on future medical assessment, I think I already knew that!

I'm seeing him this afternoon anyway so I will mention it.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There was something in the news recently about a girl who falls asleep frequently and suddenly during daytime. The DVLA still allows her to drive a car. The story said she knew when sleep was about to happen but it still sounds dangerous to me - what if she's on the motorway?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

In some cases there doesn't seem to be a level playing field Tiz. I'm with you, the young ladies case if correctly reported does seem to be an accident waiting to happen. I know I am not yet fit to drive but would hope that I can get my permission back in a timely manner once I have made the grade.

Just getting ready to set off for Leeds for my consultant appointment, choice of three trains on the outward journey so we are going for the middle one. Depends where Sally has to park in Skipton, we may get on the station car park mid afternoon. Noticed as well from Stanley's post that it's about a third of the price for us to get to Leeds and back than a taxi journey to Steeton. It will cost us around £6.50 return with our rail cards with an off peak return. We'll get a bit of tea in Leeds and then get the first off peak train (after 6pm) back. Bulk of the commuter passengers should have cleared by then.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That is going to be an exhausting day for you, Panbiker.

Stanley...no-one should have to wait 2 weeks for scan results.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 23:03 That is going to be an exhausting day for you, Panbiker.
Not really Maz, 20 minute drive to Skipton, park at the station, buy tickets, train journey 40 minutes to Leeds, No 5 bus (one every 5 minutes) from right outside the station, 5 minutes to stop right outside the hospital. We arrived 10 minutes before my appointment time at 4.15pm. Consultant appointment was around 15 minutes. So just over an hour from home to consultants office. Reverse journey slightly longer but with a break for something to eat as we had off peak tickets so had to wait until after 6.30pm for the return train. Excluding our tea, the total cost of the journey was £8.25 each (two return train tickets and outward and return bus fares (£1 each way)) We were back in Barlick by 7.50pm.

My appointment went well, Mr Anderson was impressed by my progress and commented that it was hard to believe that my operation was only at the beginning of October as I looked too well! He checked that my three month scan was ordered up correctly so I should be getting a date for that soon. That will be at Leeds (LGI or Jimmies (St Jame's) as he said he prefers to keep the scans "in house" as their neuro department are very thorough at reviewing the scans. He checked how the strength in my foot was progressing and said it was very good compared to the last time he saw me before discharge. He may not see me when I have the scan but will write with the results. He will of course call me back if their are any concerns or I can contact him if I have any. I updated him on my withdrawal from all medications and told him I had received the dictate from the DVLA, he will respond accordingly with my progress to date. In and out in 15 minutes.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Terrific news, Panbiker.
I think doing it by public transport is a good way to go. Saves much stress, and the cost is very reasonable.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very thorough and quick experience at Airedale yesterday, left at noon back at 15:30. I see Hassan on the 29th and he will have the results. Slept like a log last night, the best healer.
All good news again Ian! It shows how much work you have been putting in, these things don't happen by accident! Keep at it and you'll soon be up at the Trig point again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hassan will let you know before that, Stanley. If he is worth his salt. He will not let you hang on with your worries.
( we were phoned within the 24 hrs)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'll see, I am not particularly worried....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 07:11 I am not particularly worried....
Hohhhhhhh! Your nose just grew an entire foot! :laugh5:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Moh wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 13:32 One good benefit we do have are the volunteers who drive people to hospital appointments if needed, I made full use of them when I had to go to Preston every day,it would have been too much for Fred.
My Mum and Dad used volunteer drivers to take Mum to Manchester Royal from Burnley, for treatment. Dad being an amputee by this time could not take her and Mum having slight dementia could not manage public transport. The drivers were wonderful
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Maz.... I have done all I can and now it's in the lap of the gods. I have no problem with that.... That's why I am not bothered about the wait.
Sue, we have them here as well but I don't feel I am a suitable case and don't want to load them. I shall support my own sky as long as possible!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I agree with Moh, I did the Preston run for three weeks when Mrs P was in. 70 miles a day. Visiting was far less stressful than having treatment but the journey in by motorway was a nightmare, used the back roads instead. Parking was impossible, I would park about a mile away and walk in, not an option for a lot of people. Thank god there are people good enough to help with this service I know people who took up B&B rather than having to face this journey.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 03:44 Keep at it and you'll soon be up at the Trig point again.
That's the plan Stanley, glad yours went smoothly, was it a CT or MRI scan?

Maz, yes the train beats driving to and parking in Leeds hands down, Sally is a competent but reluctant driver anyway and doesn't do cities. The journey will get even cheaper at the end of the month as I can get my free bus pass. :extrawink:

A senior rail card and bus pass are couple of very useful things. I could get up to Penyghent relatively easily with a bit of timetable planning, next year maybe. :biggrin2:

P, our friend who has recently had cardiac surgery at Leeds has done the B&B option on more than one occasion before his op and after when appointments have been early morning.

Physio for me tomorrow 9.30am, no travelling involved.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have actually sat in hospital corridors with my iPad and watched movies while hubby has had procedures, because the nightmare of moving the car was too much.
Either that, or if I am in a timed parking space, I battle to move the car closer and closer to the gate, so he doesn't have too far to walk when he gets discharged.
When he has to stay in, I drive round and round to get a park near a street light, because going back to the car in the dark when it is next to the parklands, is pretty scarey. A lot of "odd people" about. There is also nothing to eat at the private hospital, so I go with a sandwich and water.
I am lucky, in that if he has to stay in, I can stay at my son's. He lives about 50 mins from the hospital. Saves me the 2 hour drive home.
But I have had the odd occasion, I winter, when it is dark by 5 pm...that they decide to keep him in at 6 pm...I do the scarey walk back to the car, drive to my son's. He works shift work and has to be in bed by 7pm. So I grab a cup of coffee and a biscuit and go to bed, so the house is quiet for him to sleep. ( no dinner for me!) but that's ok. I survive.
Last edited by Marilyn on 21 Nov 2018, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We get the other side of the hospital parking problem now that we live near one. Some of those living here are having to put up signs saying `Please don't block our drive'. Yes, some drivers do actually block people in or out of their drives! Nowt so queer as folk. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It was good going with the volunteers as you rarely got the same one twice, so there was plenty of chat. The downside was there was sometimes a wait for a driver for the return trip.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian CT with dye injections so it took about 30 minutes. Very thorough and enjoyable! A lovely nurse and a woman doctor with me all the time and of course more behind the protective screens. Just think how a private system would charge for that lot!
Travel and parking are never easy but we will manage in the end. Susan passed the time away with Kindle on her phone, she's an avid reader.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Contrasted scan then, my first one wasn't so they had to put me in the MRI scanner with contrast to get a better higher resolution image, amazing detail when you get to see it. Glad it went well anyway, my next is at three months, don't know whether they will squeeze me in before Christmas or leave it into the new year.

Bosom Friends cancer support meeting was very well attended last night and I think all that attended got something out of it. Regulars and odd new visitors. It's good to talk, a bit of safety in numbers at work along with other forces, anyway it seems to help as folk keep coming back. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit later: Emma and Asad have just been to review my exercise regime and see how I am doing, OK but I need more work to keep my right foot flat. They reinforced that quality of movement was the key so if necessary less can be more as long as it is controlled and correct. I can drop a couple of routines if I get tired too quickly. Asad has added a new supported squatting routine to strengthen the two muscles above the knee, I can feel the burn on that one but its good as you can feel that it is working when you do it correctly. I need to do a bit more in bare feet or with my slippers on as I can get more feedback without my trainers on. Overall though I am making good progress. :good:

I mentioned that my "foot up" device is not as efficient as it was a few weeks ago, Emma says that there are a couple of variant designs so she is going to make enquiries to see if there is one that may be better for me. Next appointment will be a week on Monday but mid afternoon. Quick review on technique then an intense session that Asad will devise, sounds interesting. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”