Politics, NHS Beds , Housing and Nursing Home Costs

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Politics, NHS Beds , Housing and Nursing Home Costs

Post by Whyperion »

Given that it seems to be open season on elderly persons , who appear to be blamed for all the economies ills (unless, per ITV this morning yesterday - you are a single parent of 8 children living only on benefits - that's odd I thought there were going to be too few younger people to care for the increasing older persons yet large families appear to be being penalised ) , I think , aside from rather dramatic solutions, I have one potential one.

A Potential Solution to NHS Bed Blocking, Unfair Care Homes (Accommodation Costs), and shortages of affordable socially rented accommodation ( Particularly With respect to elderly (state pension age) persons with no relatives dwelling with them.
At present, it is possible for a home-owner whom needs rest of life nursing care that is not possible or practical in their own home to be forced to sell their home for the payment of at least the residential , meals and other non-nursing care costs of residential nursing homes.

Many I feel find this unfair, and discriminatory vs those whom have always lived in private or social rented accommodation.

At present, my understanding is, that if a person choses to let their owned home instead of selling it , this income , as well as being used to pay their nursing home costs is also taxable and reduces other benefits, such as pension credit , that they might otherwise be entitled to.

My solution involves local authorities as direct housing and nursing home care providers, along with registered social landlords acting in the same capacity ( including contractual partnerships with others where necessary ).

Where a person requires residential nursing care, the housing authorities, in conjunction with any relatives or legal will beneficiaries , would arrange for the person's home to be made available for letting to others , including the transport and storage of the persons chattel's that could be distributed over a reasonable time between legal beneficiaries as if the person had died. The person's home would be take out of the inheritance bands in return for a letting guarantee of the time the person is in residential care to death plus five years, after which it could be sold and the proceeds distributed among the estate in the normal way, or transferred to estate beneficiaries - the social landlord could have first option to purchase the property either at the end of the five years or when the beneficiary decides to sell , at the market value plus gross rents received, less nursing accommodation fees(rents), less chattel storage costs , less any agreed maintenance / insurance / repair costs paid out during the term of letting.

This would increase the number of affordable rented accommodation at little up- front direct cost to national/ local authorities other than the allowance that the person in care to be entitled to housing benefits assessed on their income/capital excluding the rents notionally received for their property, and the removal of capital asset value at death from inheritance tax ( perhaps there could be a maximum capital value cap on this ).

By not being afraid on economic grounds for the family to make appropriate decisions in a timely manner in conjunction with the medical professionals , this should also reduce pressure on the A&E intakes and eventually manage better the discharge of patients whom no longer need hospital care.

I think this could be both politically acceptable and affordable, and would welcome informed comments on the proposal.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”