Seen in the News

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Big Kev »

Be interesting to see the reaction if this actually happens.

London could be moved into tier 3
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55301192
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I hadn't seen the Regent Street photo, but I heard a chap from Westminster Council yesterday say that Covid restrictions had been observed. Public Health and Politics sit uneasily together. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There will be a bit of lens compression on that picture but they're still way too close together. There is a definite impression of a north/south divide when it comes to Covid-19...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's official now.

London will move into England’s highest tier of Covid restrictions from 00:01 GMT on Wednesday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

Parts of Essex and Hertfordshire will also enter tier three at the same time.

A new variant of coronavirus has been identified "which may be associated with the faster spread in the south of England", Mr Hancock told the Commons.

He said action had to be taken immediately to slow "sharp, exponential rises" in infection.

Tier three restrictions mean that pubs and restaurants must close except for takeaway and delivery services.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lens compression, same thing occurred to me Kev but still far too many people for my liking.
If I understand correctly though the shops will still be open? Yes, as in so many other things, there is a North/South divide.
What grabbed me was what David said. "Public Health and Politics sit uneasily together." That became obvious this week when Public Health officials, councillors and education experts united to say shut schools immediately and don't open immediately after the Xmas break. One headmaster who did that got a letter threatening prosecution and Gavin Williamson repeats that schools must stay open no matter what. I think this is exactly what David was pointing out.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's Greenwich that's being threatened with legal action, I think they're doing the right thing as schools are sending pupils home to isolate on a fairly regular basis.
It must be better for the children to be learning online instead of the uncertainty of not knowing if they could be sent home at any time.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see that Greenwich has backed down whilst an authority in Essex is continuing to defy Williamson. All the medical experts and NHS leaders back those calling for local control and shutting down schools but the government appears to have dug in because Johnson said that keeping schools open was 'a moral duty'.
Latest reports are that Gove is 'in meetings' discussing the position. Meanwhile the virus continues unabated.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Post-Grenfell cladding inspections find other fire risks' LINK
`Fire safety inspections have uncovered hundreds of blocks of flats in England and Wales with faulty or missing fire prevention measures, the BBC has found. Flat owners have been looking for evidence of unsafe cladding in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire that killed 72 people in 2017. But many of the inspections have revealed problems inside the buildings....

`Typically, flats should have barriers inside the spaces between any cladding and the outside walls, and fire breaks in the internal walls to ensure flats are protected for as long as possible should a fire break out. Dorian Lawrence, whose company Façade Remedial Consultants has been inspecting the cladding on hundreds of blocks across England and Wales, said he has found defective fire safety in 90% of the 2,000 buildings he has inspected and around 60% of those are not cladding related....

`London Fire Brigade shared data with 5 Live Investigates showing that of the 576 blocks which have a "waking watch" - considered such a fire risk they need overnight fire wardens - more than 100 had compartmentation problems. In Manchester, the problems are even more stark. The Greater Manchester High-Rise Task Force, set up to assess fire safety in all of the city's tall residential blocks, has imposed "interim" safety measures such as fire wardens or extra fire alarms in around 100 buildings. Of those, around 70 have other serious defects like missing or incorrectly-fitted cavity barriers and, in some cases, inadequate fire protection on the frame of the building..'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 04:07 I see that Greenwich has backed down whilst an authority in Essex is continuing to defy Williamson. All the medical experts and NHS leaders back those calling for local control and shutting down schools but the government appears to have dug in because Johnson said that keeping schools open was 'a moral duty'.
Latest reports are that Gove is 'in meetings' discussing the position. Meanwhile the virus continues unabated.
Seems a pointless exercise to me, they all shut down this week for Christmas don't they?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that as well Kev but the local authorities seem concerned and I think they'll have a reason.
Peter, did you hear the representative of the cladding manufacturer denying that the cladding sent for testing had been modified to pass the test even though the enquiry has copies of internal mails that prove that this was indeed what was happening? Then there is the large number of people in limbo because of the cladding, the people who own the 'freeholds' and provide services and the government who have not stepped forward to help as they promised they would. Heads should roll because of this but we all know that they won't. It will all be dragged on and on. Terrible....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, have you seen the announcement of £30million for fire alarms to replace having to fund 24 hour wardens?
Interesting that You and Yours was talking about thermal underwear this morning and obviously think it is having some sort of a revival. I suspect the programme is based in the South. I have news for the Lovies, it never went away.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, it won't inspire confidence - `We're not going to prevent fires but we'll let you know when one has started'. :eek:

This is an amazing find, both historically and for the study of elephant genetics and geographical diversity...
`Ivory: Elephant decline revealed by shipwreck cargo' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a great link. Amazing what modern analytical tools can detect. First I have heard of that wreck.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What triggered my attention most was the words `487-year-old'. That puts it at 1533 and led me to this other article...
`Shipwreck in the Forbidden Zone: Five centuries ago a ship loaded with gold wrecked off a beach laden with diamonds' National Geographic

Back in 2020...
`Millions struggling to pay phone and internet bills' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two good links but I got diverted by the article on fake vaccinations.
"The posts use genuine footage showing healthcare professionals using a safety syringe, in which the needle retracts into the body of the device after use. Safety syringes have been in widespread use for over a decade. They protect medical staff and patients from injuries and infection. It's not the first time claims of fake needles have appeared since vaccine roll out began. One showed an Australian politician posing with a syringe next to her arm, the needle clearly covered with a safety cap, with claims that her Covid-19 vaccination had been faked."
These people are pathetic.... I can't comment rationally.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

They don't think, they don't ask questions, they have no curiosity, they just immediately broadcast their first thoughts to the 3.5 billion people worldwide with smartphones. I know the phones are useful but they're also responsible for one heck of a lot of damage around the world.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's a way of getting noticed and being credited with intelligence without effort that is the attraction. I mean, anyone with fifteen followers is an influencer. Right? I lived briefly with a woman who thought university degrees were a waste of time but took great pride in her MENSA membership and IQ. An easier way of proving to herself she was 'clever'.
You can buy the beam engines I make in the shed ready made but where's the achievement in that?
You're right Peter. "They don't think, they don't ask questions".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sainsbury's have just said the lock down of French border could mean shortages of some fresh veggies. This ensures panic buying! I shall go and get my veggies today, no more than usual and none will be wasted. That's not necessarily true of others.... Strange times.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I did my veggie shopping and Gulam told me that the rush had already started.
The shopper went for it's first full outing and did well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 13:29 Sainsbury's have just said the lock down of French border could mean shortages of some fresh veggies. This ensures panic buying! I shall go and get my veggies today, no more than usual and none will be wasted. That's not necessarily true of others.... Strange times.
Seems strange that we can have the UK ports backed up because of bad weather, or French dock strikes, for a few days and Sainsbury's doesn't run out of lettuce...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Grant Shapps has got everything under control only 2,850 lorries stranded. There will be some movement tomorrow Wednesday but the general advice is to stay where you are. He doesn't mention that the movement will be French and EU nationals, (you bloody foreigners can stop at home....)

Mr Shapps tweeted: "Good progress today and agreement with the French Government on borders. We will provide an update on hauliers later this evening, but hauliers must still NOT travel to Kent this evening."
French authorities said planes, boats and Eurostar trains will resume services on Wednesday morning.
This is available to French nationals, EU citizens and people with residency in France
BBC

Look on the bright side its all good practice if we leave the EU with a no deal.
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 16:10

Seems strange that we can have the UK ports backed up because of bad weather, or French dock strikes, for a few days and Sainsbury's doesn't run out of lettuce...
...and that's only the tip of the iceberg.....! :extrawink:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Pete :biggrin2:
Ken, what's the betting the French will insist on the version of test that takes longest?
Everybody's talking about the tail back but very few calling for help for the drivers. I did see one Labour MP shove her head over the parapet. Well done that woman!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 03:15 Nice one Pete :biggrin2:
Ken, what's the betting the French will insist on the version of test that takes longest?
Everybody's talking about the tail back but very few calling for help for the drivers. I did see one Labour MP shove her head over the parapet. Well done that woman!
I saw a post on Facebook that the Sikh chaps, in Gravesend, had made 800 meals and were taking them to the stranded drivers.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The world of the internet gets more weird every day...
`Viral 'butt-less' pyjamas ad sparks confusion' LINK
`Online advertisements for bottomless pyjamas have caused a stir after they began popping up all over the internet. Ads for pairs of "plain functional buttoned adult pyjamas" promoted by multiple retailers began appearing on websites last week. They have sparked confusion, with many questioning why such products were being targeted at them. One expert suggested the ads may be designed to help collect to data about consumers. The adverts first garnered attention after multiple people reported seeing ones featuring the brand IVRose while reading a story on Elle.com. IVRose's Facebook page is managed by a Chinese firm called Shanghai Lishang Information Technology Co Ltd. Its contact details match those of another fast-fashion website, ChicMe, whose name features in an almost identical advert.'...

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”