Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

plaques
Donor

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 04:31 I'm looking forward to my jab tomorrow evening at Colne. I still think it's wrong to make people who are shielding and told to stay indoors travel to get a vaccination
Don't forget to wear your mask as you get out of the car. The greeter will probably stop the car at the car park entrance and point you to the entry door at the side of the building also telling you that the exit is near the main door. You will probably be given a NHS mask at the entry point. After that its on the conveyor belt until you get out. Definitely not room 101 stuff.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Only 6 miles and 15 minutes, Stanley, much better than having to go to Manchester! Like Plaques, I wore my own mask from car to reception where they gave me an NHS mask and told me to wear. It caused laughter because it was snowing outside and I had a woolly hat on and my jacket hood over it so I got a bit tangled up swapping masks. They're injecting higher up the arm than they do for influenza so rolling up your shirt sleeve isn't enough. They were asking us all to unbutton shirts so that the shoulder can be exposed. I wore a zip up fleece jacket under my raincoat to keep warm instead of my usual woolly jumper - it's easier and quicker to remove the fleece than to extricate myself from the jumper. I got a few laughs because I wore my woolly hat all through the process. There was no need for waiting around afterwards, it was straight out of the door and into the car.

I've had no effects at all from the vaccine. Same for Dave across the road who's about my age too. However he has two lady friends who had the vaccination and one has had a headache and the other got a bit feverish. Don't miss the chance to give the nurses a big smile and a `thank you' - they really do deserve it and appreciate it! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the heads up both of you. Susan has covered most of it and I have worked out how I can be 'off the shoulder' without taking anything off other than my Crombie. I shall take their mask and will also be wearing latex gloves. I wear them every time I go out shopping now as well as my mask. If everyone shielded as well as us crumblies it would be a better world!
As for after effects, Susan had a rough day and stayed in bed, she had already had the virus of course. She told me that the theory is that the more reaction there is, the more antibodies are present. Not sure about that but it's a comforting thought and I'm all for those!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Nearly 110,000 dead in UK. I was telling Cathy today, that to put those figures in perspective, it would wipe out the entire coastal town I live in 6x over.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's not all gloom and doom, the trends are taking a downward turn and the number of vaccinations has topped 10 million.
The figures to February 1st for the UK and the number of new reported cases locally is also dropping, the figure locally was over 80 a couple of weeks ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I noticed the figures coming down. Which is a great relief.
However, the deaths will trail the figures by at least 28 days+.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I noticed the figures coming down. Which is a great relief.
However, the deaths will trail the figures by at least 28 days+.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ooops...not sure I meant to say that twice. :biggrin2:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 07:35 Nearly 110,000 dead in UK. I was telling Cathy today, that to put those figures in perspective, it would wipe out the entire coastal town I live in 6x over.
Nearer home our Pendle authority comprising a number of towns. Brierfield, Nelson, Colne, Barnloldswick plus numerous surrounding villages totaling 95,000 if we add Skipton 15,000 that's your 110,000. Doesn't bear thinking about.
Moving on. The pandemic has placed the government in an impossible position. Locking down towns and industry is really saying you can't go to work. The result is that people will have no income and rightly start to complain, hence the furlough scheme which the country can only afford for so long. The writing is on the wall that as soon as the more vulnerable older population are vaccinated (say 25 million) then all restrictions will be lifted and there will be a covid free for all. Millions will obviously catch it but the incidences of hospitalisation and deaths may not be as great as at present. A big gamble but I think at some point it will be inevitable.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 09:17 Millions will obviously catch it but the incidences of hospitalisation and deaths may not be as great as at present. A big gamble but I think at some point it will be inevitable.
I make you right there, the lockdowns have always been to save the lives of the vulnerable and protect the NHS. Once the vulnerable groups start to show signs of immunity restrictions will ease. I still think mask wearing, and certain levels of social distancing will apply, but things will start opening up again.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Only time will tell. Unfortunately, you guys have to do the time. That means mental health will suffer, relationships will suffer and children will suffer. That is aside from businesses and the travel industry etc.

I don’t know if the world will truly be the same after this.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 04:56 As for after effects, Susan had a rough day and stayed in bed, she had already had the virus of course. She told me that the theory is that the more reaction there is, the more antibodies are present. Not sure about that but it's a comforting thought and I'm all for those!
Yes, all the serious symptoms are not due directly to the virus but are caused by our body's own defence systems - everything from antibodies and T cells to a raised temperature - fighting the virus. It's a bit like the UK economy crashing - not due directly to the virus but to the way our lives have to change to fight off the pandemic. In each case, the harder we have to fight the more we suffer to get through it.

We're learning more as we go along...
`Covid coughing study suggests NHS staff at far greater risk than thought: Health service urged to rethink safety for frontline staff and provide better PPE and ventilation' Guardian
`The study found that coughing generated at least 10 times more infectious “aerosol” particles than speaking or breathing – which could explain why so many NHS staff have fallen ill during the pandemic. The research has led to fresh demands that anyone caring for someone with Covid-19, or suspected Covid-19, should be provided with the most protective equipment – including FFP3 respirator masks – and that hospital ventilation should be improved. Health workers are up to four times more likely to contract coronavirus than the general population, with infection rates among those on general hospital wards approximately double those of intensive care unit (ICU) staff – who do have access to the most protective PPE..'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All went like clockwork at Colne yesterday evening. Susan went in with me and despite being 5 minutes early we were waved in, processed, jabbed and out again in less than ten minutes. It was the AstraZeneca jab (and made in Liverpool at Medimmune UK Ltd Peter!).
So far so good, no side effects and I slept well but I am taking no chances, I did my shopping yesterday and the butcher delivers this evening. I am not thinking of going anywhere or doing anything other than rest and sleep.
Mick had his jab yesterday, same as ours and he is fine as well.
I agree with you Ken. I was talking to Susan and Mick who are of course a lot closer to the action than I am and Susan asked me what my view was of of how the jab changed anything. I told her that all it meant was that if I got infected the effects would not be as severe and that's all. I shall still keep up all my precautions and isolation strategies for the foreseeable future. She says that that is absolutely right and that's why I think Ken is right. Sooner or later we will have to open up and accept the fact that there will be infections but if people have been sensible and accepted the vaccination this won't overwhelm the heath services.
[Only disappointment was they never gave me a new mask!]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

“Susan asked me what my view was of of how the jab changed anything. I told her that all it meant was that if I got infected the effects would not be as severe and that's all. I shall still keep up all my precautions and isolation strategies for the foreseeable future. She says that that is absolutely right and that's why I think Ken is right. Sooner or later we will have to open up and accept the fact that there will be infections but if people have been sensible and accepted the vaccination this won't overwhelm the heath services.”

That is exactly the same attitude as we have taken Stanley.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No surprise there Gloria, is there any other way of looking at it?
News from Susan this morning that Mick has had a reaction and has gone to bed for the day. I'm thinking of having a short walk to get some fresh air. I need to post some mail, So far I feel OK, just a bit achy and tender. I shall be careful!
I went back to bed this morning and had another 5 hours sleep.... Better safe than sorry!
12:30. Just walked to the Post office corner and back. Quite enough for one day! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've got my appointment at Colne on Tuesday morning. We need to get Col vaccinated, the surgery don't seem to have added him to their vulnerable list yet despite me reminding them that he is in the middle of treatment for cancer. He has a consultation with the surgeon in Bradford on Monday morning (weather permitting) so it looks like he is on track for an operation soon so really he needs a jab asap!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You need to attack the surgery then Wendy. If Col doesn't qualify for a jab, none of us do! Best of luck with it....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I read today that 18 % of the population who have not previously had Covid when vaccinated have a reaction . As Tiz said its not covid but simply the immune system kicking in, our first non specific line of defence. Eg High Temperatures are to try to destroy human pathogens that thrive in us because they like our normal body temperature. By raising the temperature growth is discouraged .

33 % of those who have previously had covid react to the vaccine. This implies a quick secondary response. The level of reaction cannot be related to the level of antibodies as the reaction is within 24 to 48 hours and this is far too soon for antibody level in either first or second jab.

It does however show a more rapid non specific response, possibly because the immune system has already been primed( my theory)

Research is ongoing.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col has spoken to the surgery today and has been told that they can't alter anyone's place on the list for vaccines as it is a government algorithm. He remains in the 60 to 69 group. :smile:
Next plan will be to speak to his consultant.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That seems a bit stupid as he is clearly at greater risk than a fully fit person of the same age, particularly bobbing in and out of hospital as well, you would think it would be a priority. Consultants view is a good move Wendy.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 14:11 Col has spoken to the surgery today and has been told that they can't alter anyone's place on the list for vaccines as it is a government algorithm. He remains in the 60 to 69 group. :smile:
Next plan will be to speak to his consultant.
I thought vulnerable were included in the 70 plus
If you keep searching you will find it
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I thought so too but it looks like he's been allowed to fall through a crack in the system. Time to get out your Wonder Woman suit, Wendy, and go into action. I would expect his consultant to be very concerned. Perhaps you need to mention it on Facebook and take advantage of the proper function of social media - a `Jab for Col' campaign!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've been looking at the Macmillan cancer support website and the position is very unclear, it seems that as far as death risk from Covid is concerned, age trumps cancer.
Sue the problem must be that they seem to be working on the people who were considered vulnerable at the beginning of the pandemic.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.or ... t-updates/
Word on the street is Col's 'clinician' should be recommending him for vaccination prior to surgery.

In the 28th January update

Most people with cancer will be contacted by the NHS to receive the vaccine, but cancer patients about to have surgery can be recommended by their clinician to have the vaccine prior to treatment.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Kev.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”