Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby (71) has been told by his GP that his FIRST dose is late July/early August....or possibly later... :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The vaccine rollout here has gone well as they left it to the experts in these matters to administer it. Despite the long term reduction in funding the NHS have performed admirably.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Haven't they just Kev. Nye Bevan and Beveridge lie quiet in their graves......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 04:25 Haven't they just Kev. Nye Bevan and Beveridge lie quiet in their graves......
Brilliantly, everyone will get one if they want and they know when within a couple of weeks.vaccination centre been in touch with me for a current phone number to arrange second jab for us both .

I managed to get appointments today for our dental checkups. I asked for the dentist who did my root filling in November rather than the rubbish one I had. We will have to wait till May for him , but i am not worried about that
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds reasonable and sensible Sue. Why support the bum dentists!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We too were able to go for our first dental checks for two years yesterday. We usually have it done by the dentist himself - as for the last 20 years - a quick check of teeth gums, mouth, a scrape and buff of the teeth and we're out in less than 15 minutes. This time we could only have it done by the hygienist and in a 45 minute appointment and costing 4 times as much as usual. It was an intrusive and aggressive treatment, almost all the time given up to vigorous scraping. My teeth now feel sensitive and there are bigger gaps than ever before and food gets caught in them. I won't be having that treatment again!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: I only go to the dentist if I have pain. I am happy to pay whatever is needed, but I refuse to be tortured by regular attendance...I clean and floss my teeth twice a day. More than my parents ever did! (And way more than Ancestors likely did)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 10:21 :laugh5: I only go to the dentist if I have pain. I am happy to pay whatever is needed, but I refuse to be tortured by regular attendance...I clean and floss my teeth twice a day. More than my parents ever did! (And way more than Ancestors likely did)
Oops my Dad had no teeth through gum disease Maz 🤣.

I was offered a hygienist appointment some weeks ago, as you say expensive. My reaction was I can have private hygienist but not a check up...forget it . After the problem I had with my tooth no hygienist was going near
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I consider myself lucky with my teeth (they'll probably all fall out now I've said that), apart from some bridge work following an accident I still have them :good: Had a check up a few weeks ago after a two year wait and all was good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm very well suited with mine! (Very cheap to run and no pain at all for 60 years....)
Am I right in thinking the rest of the shops can open in a fortnight.
Got another four pages of A4 (Both sides) from the Lads advising me about shielding. All basic common sense and they recommend some easing. Not in this house! It will be a long time before I ease up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Now I've been invited back for an appointment with the dentist soon when he's once again able to carry out work. It's for a `check up'. I'd thought that was being done as part of the hygienist appointment, but apparently it wasn't. I've declined the offer, there's a limit to how much dentistry I can cope with. If I'd known in advance that the normal quick check by our usual dentist would be available soon I'd have rejected the hygienist appointment and gone to him as usual.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:good: I am with you, Tiz.
I can’t cope with regular invasion...by “gum gardeners” as we call them...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Let’s face it. A dentist employs a hygienist at a certain wage. The dentist gets his/her cut by referring the patients on to his hygienist. Job done. Money made for the dentist. ( you think I am joking? No I am not. I am not. Dentistry in my family past!)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

More disturbing news on the after affects of being hospitalised by the covid virus. A study of 48,000 ex-covid patients showed that almost a third were back in hospital within 140 days and that 1 in 8 (12.5%) had died. Link

After an average follow-up time of 140 days, nearly a third of the Covid patients who had been discharged from hospital had been readmitted and about one in eight had died, rates considerably higher than seen in the control group.

Of course elderly people with multiple underlying health issues may finish up in hospital or even dying so should we now be assembling an 'excess' death rate measurement for this group of people.

Dying for a pint takes on a whole new meaning.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 03:03 Got another four pages of A4 (Both sides) from the Lads advising me about shielding. All basic common sense and they recommend some easing. Not in this house! It will be a long time before I ease up.
Are you not meeting up for a coffee in the town square?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Regarding Covid deaths, it all depends on how you interpret the statistics. I saw a report the other day, cant remember where but it said that if you count those with Covid with the cause of death as recorded on the death certificate rather than the current died for whatever reason but within 28 days of a Covid diagnosis, the number of deaths is actually over 150,000! If you think about it this makes perfect sense as many people have Covid for a lot longer than 28 days before they die from the virus.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

One explanation of why Germany may have experienced more cases (31) of rare blood clots is that UK (5) began vaccinating their older persons first, whereas Germany began vaccinating to under 60s first. (There was even mention that the pill may be a risk factor). I still feel we need to proceed with caution, though I don’t need to be reminded how perfectly safe the boffins claim it is. I think we have all been swamped with reassurances and only time will tell.
Governments seem to be whipping out their palette knives to smooth over the icing on a constant basis :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, talking to someone outside in the wind and at sufficient distance has never been off my agenda.
Ian, I saw/heard that 150,000 figure somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I also heard another expert say "If you want blood clots get Covid." That makes sense as well.
Notice that when it comes to assessing OAZ vaccine,all the scientists and expert bodies pass it, the naysayers are all politicians..
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The leader of research on the German blood clot events is Prof Andreas Greinacher at the University of Greifswald. He is said to have "expressed astonishment that our findings are being used to justify restricting the vaccine", and “People being severely sickened by covid-19 outnumber those who suffer from the vaccination reaction by several orders of magnitude. To stop or to avoid vaccination only for the fear of getting an extremely rare, adverse reaction would be completely wrong.” There have been 44 total cases from the European Economic Area, in which 9,200,000 shots of the vaccine have been given, suggesting one incident per 210,000 shots. British Medical Journal
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:good: 🙄
Bit of a pity if YOU succumb though.
In no way am I being offensive or abrasive, but we know Covid affects people in different ways. For example, we learned early on that Covid affected dark skinned people in a different way to white skinned people. It affects older people differently to younger people, many of whom, go on to develop “long Covid”.I am open minded that we may have to “tweak” any vaccine. I still cannot accept that our current vaccine choices can suit everyone....( I choose my words carefully because I have felt the wrath of my/your comments before). Can’t we have an open mind about this...please?
I shall still roll up my sleeve for this jab, but I am not sincerely convinced that the vaccine is perfect for everyone.
Last edited by Marilyn on 02 Apr 2021, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Even if there is a risk it's considerably less than crossing the road.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You must live on a quiet road, Big Kev. Lucky you.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev is quite right.
"On March 18, the UK medicines regulator said that there had been five cases of a rare brain blood clot among 11 million administered shots.
On Thursday, it put the count at 22 reports of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, an extremely rare brain clotting ailment, and 8 reports of other clotting events associated with low blood platelets out of a total of 18.1 million doses given."

According to respected sources CVST is a rare form of stroke. It affects about 5 people in 1 million each year. So in normal UK society you can expect over 300 cases a year without the jab.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 09:35 I am open minded that we may have to “tweak” any vaccine. I still cannot accept that our current vaccine choices can suit everyone....( I choose my words carefully because I have felt the wrath of my/your comments before). Can’t we have an open mind about this...please?
I shall still roll up my sleeve for this jab, but I am not sincerely convinced that the vaccine is perfect for everyone.
Of course the vaccine will have to be tweaked, just like the flu vaccine which each year is a best guess cocktail, (a bit more technical than that though) at which strains will be the most prevalent through the winter season. I am extremely open minded about such things but I know a good thing when I see it. I have had proper flu and I don't want it again so anything that offers me a better chance of not catching it is welcome. Same with the Covid jab. We, (as a society) have only had experience of this virus for about 18 months. I'm fairly sure that it and other variants will be high up on the agenda for modification as will the vaccines to reduce our risk of contracting the illnesses.

When I had my surgery which if the condition was left would have become life threatening. My surgeon and the anaesthetist gave me the low down on the risks of the surgical procedure and the possible outcomes which ranged from how I am now with a slight deficit to potential non survival of the procedure or succumbing to subsequent stroke which could in itself be catastrophic. All in all faced with a choice of a shorter life or a pretty good chance of continuation albeit with a probable slight deficit I signed for the latter. It was worse odds than 210,000 : 1 that's for certain.

My money would be on an annual booster tweaked for best case scenario like the flu jab. With a bit of luck it might be in the same syringe as a combination vaccine. Tell me where the queue is each year and I'll book my place.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

No vaccine (or drug) will suit everyone, human beings have too varied a genetic make up. And the basis of democracy is that we do what is in the best interests of the population, not the individual.
-----------------------------------------------------

My concern at the moment is more about the proposal for a `vaccine passport' in the UK to allow people to go into pubs, shops etc. There is fast growing resistance but it's primarily from the libertarian and nationalist viewpoints - demands for freedom and the idea that `we Brits don't do that sort of thing'. Instead I'm worried about it because people seem to assume that once they are vaccinated or have had a negative test or have had covid and recovered they will not be a risk to anyone else. That's not so. The vaccines aren't 100% effective, nor are the tests and not everyone who has had covid is incapable of passing it on. So there will be people allowed into closed spaces with many others and acting as if they are free of virus even though they may be carrying covid-19. It's going to create a false sense of security and will be an ideal opportunity for the more selfish people to go wild.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”