Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Big Kev »

I have a couple of short UK breaks booked for July and August, belated 60th birthday and 40th anniversary treats.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I listened to Dr David Nabarro on Today yesterday. (LINK)
His main point was that advanced countries who have done well getting vaccines to their vulnerable populations should now turn their attention to getting vaccines to the rest of the world as that is where the danger lies, in mutant viruses developing where there was no check on spread.
I have a lot of time for this man, he talks common sense and I hope the developed countries are listening to him.
Later, news that the Biden administration in the US is advocating waiving intellectual property rights on vaccines.The WHO characterise this as game changing. I hope they actually do it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 06 May 2021, 03:50 Later, news that the Biden administration in the US is advocating waiving intellectual property rights on vaccines.The WHO characterise this as game changing. I hope they actually do it.
Do the Americans hold the intellectual rights to the 'Oxford' Astrazeneca vaccine? In many cases universities are funded by outside sources who then hold the property rights and hence the profits from manufacture.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

True Ken and I can't see any of the big pharma companies voluntarily giving up any rights to allow manufacture on other sites free of charge. Already our government seems to be stepping back from advocating such altruistic behaviour.
It becomes almost certain that our annual flu vaccination will be enhanced or accompanied by an element to counter variants of the Covid strain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It’s Flu Vaccination time here, had mine on Monday.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good news Cathy. Our 40 year old son received his first dose this week but he's had a strong reaction to it.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I had my first COVID Vaccination on 14 April, my Flu Vaccination this week , and will have my second COVID Vacc on July 7.
😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, I have been told that a strong reaction to the jabs means a good production of antibodies. Always look on the bright side! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sally and I get our second dose today at Burnley. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 08 May 2021, 03:42 I have been told that a strong reaction to the jabs means a good production of antibodies. Always look on the bright side!
Sounds right intuitively, but I googled the sentence, and there's more to it than that.
Vaccine reaction

We'll all be expert virologists by the time this business is over. :smile:

I can't help thinking that this virus is related to the common cold, and I dont think there's ever been a vaccine against that, or that herd immunity to that type of infection has ever been achieved? Science has moved forward and I take comfort that severe consequences seem to have been overcome, and I'm unlikely to die from it now, but the idea that I live the rest of life without 'catching a cold' is hard to take.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps, If I didnt post about the relationship to Common Colds I certainly meant to. There are a few considerations either way.
1) The Common Cold might provide an element of anti-body résistance for a short time to Covid-19 and similar coronaviruses - particularly if they use broadly the same entry, hiding and production mechanisms with varying degrees of efficiency.
2) Covid-19 might provide an element of anti-body resistance for a time to common cold viruses.
3) Things that might have been dismissed as 'man-flu' in the past, without actual testing or analysis might have been coronaviruses such as OC43. Such viruses also can have long-term effects on blood, brain and other organs including fatigue
4) The assorted types of vaccine indeed may have strong protection against other coronaviruses, but without further controlled study any reduction in colds in the UK population this year might be attributed to mask wearing and far less social interaction - particularly workplaces and public transport and shared leisure facilities
5) Despite being an airborne disease it can be the coughing and sneezing directly or indirectly onto surfaces (via hands say), including handles , poles, tablewear. petrol pump handles and other things that passes virus around. The greatest infections seem to occur in confined, cold, spaces.
6) Jansen and AZ Vaccines (in particular but I dont think exclusively) appear in some way to cause a couple of types of blood clots, particular in some sexes and ages, other genetic similarities may be a factor, a person on BBC news this morning appeared to suggest the cause of these was known, but I have complained once, and will need to again, against BBC sloppy scientific reporting in taking total reported blood clots and dividing by total vaccine doses, without stratifying the results by age. Not that this is meant to scare recipients, as if the same is done by risk from covid of same by age the two risks can be compared within an age range, one could also assume a competent health service could monitor recipients of the vaccination appropriately and have possible medical interventions that could influence the outcome.
7) A Vaccine is only as good as the plan to administer and roll out - See Africa and some countries on how not to do it, or attempting to do it avoiding any adverse reactions. Unfortunately some body pile up has to be factored in, just which method gives the smaller pile.
8) The lobbying that older vulnerable persons around the world should be vaccinated before younger persons in more affluent and already vaccinated older populations is interesting. While the country is currently the smallest administration area we talk about, the argument economically could be applied within a country too. IF places of greatest population density, that give a great economic output are vaccinated first AND strong isolation controls and compensation applied elsewhere, it might be better to do a whole area, like London , or Norfolk. This is assuming that vaccine supply is a limiting factor. I note others stating that AZ and indian producers are increasing locations of production, perhaps for both Covid and others it is not good practice not to have multiple supply alternatives built.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean David. I suspect that the real cost of Covid may be in the damage that has been done to the routine work of the NHS. Time will tell.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our jabs went fine yesterday in Burnley. One thing I noticed was that there are now three centres in Burnley dishing out the vaccine. Once booked in we had to queue for about half an hour. There were a lot of folk there, the roll out now to the under 40's of course who were getting their first go. Oldies probably outnumbered by about 10:1. Our appointments were 40 minutes apart because of the weird booking system but the first guy with the list let us go through together like at our first session. The team said they were hoping to administer 650 vaccines that day.

I had no side effects with the first AZ dose but I have woken today just feeling a bit flat and weary with ever such a slight headache. Not enough to warrant any paracetamol yet. It's a take it easy day I reckon, Ill bake some bread, I find that quite therapeutic.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Meanwhile, folk in India are suffering “ black fungus”....
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Black Fungus.

What is mucormycosis?
Mucormycosis is a very rare infection. It is caused by exposure to mucor mould which is commonly found in soil, plants, manure, and decaying fruits and vegetables. "It is ubiquitous and found in soil and air and even in the nose and mucus of healthy people," says Dr Nair.

It affects the sinuses, the brain and the lungs and can be life-threatening in diabetic or severely immunocompromised individuals, such as cancer patients or people with HIV/AIDS.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( and particularly diabetics...treated with Steroids during Covid?)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I notice mum's local council is sending out emails with some dashboard statistics. Notably that 44percent (of population or adult population) have had at least one covid vaccine jab. That might be concerning to stats people given that still over half the population without a vaccine protection, even if they are younger , just as the legal restrictions are starting to ease, and as the vaccines hopefully less inapplicable start to trickle into use (Pifzer seems going slow at present). I would not be surprised IF summer travel is full on that there will be a case, hospitalisation and death rise from about mid september, more of a statistical hump than a peak, but possibly unneccessary if restrictions remain in place until say 60percent of total population have a first vaccine protection. Uncertain when top-up boosters might arrive - October seems a bit soon (six months on from Dose2) and will it clash with Flu (normally get my Flu in Mid Oct as seems a reasonable time)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, taking it easy is a good idea. These jabs are powerful wee beasties and should be treated with respect!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Johnson and Gove are suggesting its safe to hug and cuddle family or close friends. Fortunately I've no friends so I should be safe from this bit of social engineering. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Would be nice to hug my grandchildren but I will be refraining a bit longer.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 10 May 2021, 02:18 Ian, taking it easy is a good idea. These jabs are powerful wee beasties and should be treated with respect!
I came to as the day progressed, managed to bake a couple of loaves. :smile:

Soreness gone from arm and am back to normal today, Sally was the same although she was rough for three days with the first jab.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm struggling to understand why the press are pushing the government to lift the current restrictions earlier than previously announced? What do these morons not understand about the previous announcement stating that restrictions will be lifted in June if the data shows it's safe to do so? It's these idiots, winding up the minority, who will cause horrendous setbacks and if it all goes wrong they'll just blame the government. I can almost understand state run media (joke)...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've pinpointed the reasons Kev, they are bloody morons and no, they will never learn.
Ken, if you pop in I'll give you a hug!
Ian, glad you are doing OK. It won't hurt to keep taking it easy for another day or two. Nothing is spoiling!
What is being forgotten is that out in the wider world the pandemic is raging with some countries nowhere near their peaks. In places like that the virus mutates and these are what we have to guard against. The obvious plan is to invest in vaccine manufacture and give away billions of doses as fast as possible. It will be cheaper in the long run than dealing with a third wave.
Will someone please inform the capitalists and hedge funds?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 11 May 2021, 03:01 Ken, if you pop in I'll give you a hug!
No you bloody well won't :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”