Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 04:22 That video got me moving. I spent a good part of the morning ironing fabric and cutting out masks. All in neat stacks, ready for chain piecing tomorrow ( just run them through one after another and cut the threads in between to seperate them afterwards). I went a bit over board and think I have several dozen ( and I think I will triple layer them.
Haven’t got any narrow elastic in the house, so that will have to be sourced.
I shall set the machine up this afternoon, so I can just get on with things tomorrow. I think we are in for poor weather tomorrow anyway, so it will be a good day for sewing.
Hubby said he would not wear anything that wasn’t manly...the most mannish thing I had was a dark basket weave fabric, which will have to do. He is going to look like he has a cane basket on his face! I shall try not to laugh.
Glad the video was of use. Bob also wanted manly, so I found him some best quality blue striped shirt material that I had lined my denim jacket with, and some plain blue quilting fabric. Mine are all floral, some best quality Liberty print, and some sunflower patterned quilting fabric. I lined each with old t shirts, nice and soft. I had some proper washable filter fabric for the middle layer but not enough for 6 masks. I did a bit of research and found I could use light weight non woven interfacing. I had some so used that. I was pretty pleased with the end product.

I like the hint about steam ironing between washes after a single use
If you keep searching you will find it
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Can't beat a macho mask. Darth Vader seems very popular. Although I found pink with pretty flowers on it attracts a surprising number of people. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian gave me that tip Sue and I think the source was Sally. I am only the reporter. I hadn't seen it mentioned and it is so obvious and efficient.
I'm listening to a man from the WHO on Today and he's talking common sense. (Dr David Nabarro. LINK) Basically he is giving a hard message I totally agree with. The virus is there, it doesn't get bored, all it wants to do is replicate and it ISN'T GOING TO GO AWAY. The 'restrictions' that people are protesting against are the 'new normal'. The sooner everyone gets on board with these facts, particularly the politicians, the better!
Just seen your post Ken. I am in a frenzy of indifference about the design of my masks. Who cares?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I noticed the comments about buying more elastic for the masks. Mrs Tiz has been making masks too and she's just gone into town on a hunt for more elastic. In our locality stocks seem to be stretched at the moment.... :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're getting very skittish in your posts Peter. Are you still taking the pills? :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's the only way to cope with the world at the moment, Stanley. Michael Bentine would have been in his element! :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh the joys of living in the country. After trying 2 supermarkets and 2 cheap shops looking for narrow elastic, I made my way to the only sewing shop in town. The shop is for sale ( has been for about 3 years now), and is run by a sweet face octogenarian lady, who smells faintly of moth balls and compost (an exotic blend). Her shop hours are Monday/Wednesday/Friday 10 am-12 noon. That is likely because she can only stand on her feet for two hours at a time. Managed to get some interfacing, but procuring elastic was beyond me.
“National shortage of narrow elastic, love - best I can do is 9mm”
I swear she told me the same thing 12 months ago.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, more power to your elbow! Couldn't agree more. Apart from R4 Today in the morning I have given up on news programmes altogether. Even on Today they regurgitate the same stupid lines of questioning over and over again. Include me out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

These masks are such fun to make, Sue. I managed triple layer PLUS interfacing. I shall post a pic when I have done a few more.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have dozens more in production...more will be finished tomorrow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just enlarged your pic China and now see how ridiculous it is. Is it Angela Leadsom?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 05:20 I have dozens more in production...more will be finished tomorrow...
Excellent Maz, easy aren't they , and fit snuggly too
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

People may have to get their own Elastic. None to be had here!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Will they fit in your back pocket? There could be a demand for these from cricketers, boxers, and dare I say it, from body builders as a posing pouch.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Look Plaquey, once I give them away, I don’t care what their use might be beyond their intended use.
I feel bad enough that I can’t seem to supply narrow elastic. Maybe I should investigate double sided sticky tape. ( actually...I have some double sided carpet tape in the cupboard. I wonder if Febby would try some for me)
I reckon someone actually cut up a bra to design these masks....but they are good because they fit your nose and you can still wear specs. They do the job without overwhelming you.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz finally found the right kind of elastic in a little fabric shop, not in any of the supermarkets etc. Some people use the elastic from cheap disposable masks.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sally has a "treasure chest" of material and all the ancillary stuff that goes with it. It takes up three quarters of the attic, shelves and drawers full. Bit like Stanley's but softer stuff.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I carefully discarded all excess sewing stuff when I moved here. Not that I regret the severe culling, but who would have thought there would be such a need for 3mm elastic.
Please don’t bring buttons back in use. I gave a shoebox full to the charity shop.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mask tip from an NHS nurse via Susan. Make a knot using both ear elastics at the side of the mask on both sides. It will pull the mask in tighter across the nose and stop glasses steaming up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have to have elastic that goes all the way round my head. The double loop jobs for behind the ears wont stay put. I must have weak lugs or something. :smile: Rinsing your glasses in mild detergent will also help with those that have a steaming up problem.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see testing waste water seems to be the new 'thing'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Latest police announcement: Due to Covid19 we are asking rioters to work from home and destroy their own property.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

How’s it going over there China, do things feel and look more normal these days?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A parcel of masks will be on its way to Cazza tomorrow. I can’t have her travelling on public transport “ all exposed”!
I discovered some narrow elastic, put back in the wrong pouch, in my craft cupboard! ( either that, or the elastic fairies have visited overnight). Deep joy. So I have had enough to finish 17 masks fully, then I am on to the slightly wider elastic...
Gosh they look pretty, all laid out like little bra cups...
Stanley, I have been “head down, bum up, working like a beaver today”!

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”