OBITUARIES

Bruff
Avid User

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Bruff »

RIP indeed, Lewis Collins. An interesting character, he was from Bebbington on Wirral and was a drummer in local bands and a hairdresser before taking up acting. Some suggest his role as an SAS officer in the 1982 film Who Dares Wins led to an informal blacklisting, explaining his limited work post that, due to the film's focus on 'anti-nuclear terrorists', CND/Greenham etc being very much in liberal minds at the time. Who knows? He was turned down as James Bond for his audition being 'too aggressive' - he wanted to take Bond back to Ian Flemming's original quite nasty piece of work. Ahead of his time, as fellow Wirral lad Daniel Craig has done this. And he was also turned down for membership of the Territorial SAS, despite passing selection, as he was 'too well-known'.

Richard Broughton
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

RIP Nelson Mandela 1918-2013

A remarkable man.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He was Cathy. The greatest statesman of the 20th century with the possible exception of his mentor figure, Mahatma Gandhi. A great man. The SA government have managed the inevitable very well, everyone knew he would leave us and his people were well prepared. They are celebrating him, just as it should be.
Now, who was it who branded him a 'terrorist'....? I remember the row in Rochdale when the Labour Council named the main Council office block, Mandela House.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

In truth, his legacy is a nation where >25% of the population live on <80 pence a day and unemployment is >25% and could be as high as 40%. 62% of black Africans and 29% of coloureds but only 4% of whites live in poverty. Apartheid may have gone but poverty has not. This country has the largest GDP in Africa and should be progressing. It has gone from a powerful place ruled by whites to a dangerous place ruled by ANC. My friend lives in Hawick near Jo'berg and carries a gun when he leaves his secure compound. Take off your rose tinted spectacles, this is the reality.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Not everyone there is living on less than 80 pence per day.

Link
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Seamus Peter O'Toole known as Spot to his friends has died aged 81.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Great actor, bit of a lad (understatement ??) The film Laurence of Arabia really upset me when I saw it many years ago, I think I was in my young 20's, it was the scene where the guy blew up, it shocked me, just awful.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

On the Nelson Mandela front my brother lived and died in South Africa. Well actually he died aged 56 in Mali as when the country was taken over by Mandela's regime he had to take contracts outside of his beloved South Africa to make ends meet. He was an engineer and from being a schoolboy was always going to live in SA. His widow and family have come back to the UK why because one of my nieces had a gun pushed through her car window by some black guy who wanted to rob her.

I visited the country on several occasions when Apartheid was enforced I believe the word means segregation and it wasn't just black and white segregation it was Affricaans, White South Africans, Ex Pats, then Tribes who all had there own homelands. This was how they lived all in there own area's. Soweto was a shanty town then and still is but still inhabited.

With regards to naming buildings after him I also disputed on the fact of his terrorism and that of his wife Winnie against not only white but his own people. With regards to being imprisoned he lived the life of Riley from what I have seen.

South Africa has gone from a wealthy country to a poor one so how could he be a great man

Eileen
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Wealthy for who Eileen?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He never claimed he was the second coming. You can't make omelettes without breaking eggs and it takes longer than twenty years to build a strong democracy. If your view is right Eileen, a hell of a lot of people got it completely wrong.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News that Ronnie Biggs has died. Time to revive the famous 1979 advert that caused Austin so much trouble.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

He will not get to see the two part drama starting with "The Robbers Tale" on TV tonight. Mind you he was there so he would already know the ending, might have spoilt it for him.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I enjoyed that series about Ronald Biggs. Thought it was well done.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Not sure if we are talking Dollars or Pounds but they said on the news tonight that the 2.4million that was stolen would be worth 75million today. Whooo...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Pounds Cathy.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Ronald Biggs was a London thug, not a latter day Robin Hood. The media coverage of his death is as expected, whereas I hope it wasn't a peaceful end.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Death is always quick and peaceful. Its the road to death that's the problem.

£2.4 Million to £75 Million over 50 years is just a fraction over 7% a year compound. Wish I could get that sort of interest.
LizG

Post by LizG »

plaques wrote:Death is always quick and peaceful. Its the road to death that's the problem.

£2.4 Million to £75 Million over 50 years is just a fraction over 7% a year compound. Wish I could get that sort of interest.
I like the way you think.
Liz
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thomo wrote:Ronald Biggs was a London thug, not a latter day Robin Hood. The media coverage of his death is as expected, whereas I hope it wasn't a peaceful end.
Quite right. A thug and a thief who doesn't deserve any sympathy. The World is a better place without him.
Stanley wrote:He never claimed he was the second coming. You can't make omelettes without breaking eggs and it takes longer than twenty years to build a strong democracy.
I didn't know communists built democracies. He was a bad guy, a terrorist. OK, I'll admit he was badly treated, but I've no sympathy with his demise.

Old saying: don't speak ill of the dead. Apologies!
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Stanley wrote:Seamus Peter O'Toole known as Spot to his friends has died aged 81.
In my distant memory is a TV chat show where Peter Sellars introduced himself as Peter O'Toole. Heck of a grin on his face when he did. I hope I am right
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

To my good friend Mike, who died in hospital in France this evening following a knee operation.RIP Mike, and our
thoughts are with Audrey
If you keep searching you will find it
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Sue that sounds very unexpected, how sad.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

He was due home tomorrow. I think he must have had a heart attack, he had a heart problem, but the operation was last Friday. I had sent Audrey a jokey email about him at lunchtime and about enjoying the peace while she could, we are so shocked.
If you keep searching you will find it
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Oh how awful for you all, I am sure you must be.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sorry to hear that Sue, what a shock for you.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”