Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Looking good. We chopped it back last year so we could have some pointing done round the kitchen window and door
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lovely!!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its only half the size it was but it does not seem to have suffered from its almighty prune on the right hand side.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's fighting to survive, a bit like us! Looks very nice and I love the masonry.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes it has certainly survived, new shoots are appearing everywhere.

A successful but very tiring days gardening yesterday. Our 2 vegetable plots are about 5m x 8m and 5 x 15 m . I took the winter covering off each , and weeded them. They were mainly weed free but in some places there were strong deep rooted weeds as I had just covered these patches without weeding ie where the sprouts and leeks were. It was very rainy that visit and I covered the ground very quickly.

That took all morning. In the afternoon we spread organic fertiliser and Bob rotivated both patches. I then used the nice soft soil to bank up my potatoes. Prior to rotivating tbe ground was a bit hard. Then followed over two hours of raking over, levelling and laying out weed resistant fabric over the patches. Although we had brought 4 rolls I ran out.

I planted peas and small white turnip seeds, and am ready to put in the squash, pumpkin, courgette, and butternut squash plants that we brought. We had a very collapsed evening, only moving to have a drink, eat or change the channel on the TV, but the worse gardening job of the year is done. I can now take pleasure in planting, growing and eating the fruits of our labours.

Today will be less energetic to allow our aching bodies to recover! It was however lovely being out in tbe fresh air all day, a very nice day too. Perfect conditions for heavy work.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good work Sue! It has been cold, wet and windy here so not gardening weather at all. I'm still stiff and sore from my fall 3 weeks ago so I really don't feel like doing much anyway. The weeds are making good progress!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Oh dear Wendy, you are taking time to re cover. Hope you are right again soon or those weeds may win!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd forgotten about that Wendy. Get Col to give you regular massages!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Get better soon Wendy.

Today I shall mainly continue working away at the grass roots.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We went to the market today where vegetable plants were selling like hot cakes! This is the week when everyone gets planting, it coincides with May Day Holiday which is actually taken on the day. We bought plants for tomatoes, peppers , aubergines, cabbages, cucumber and courgettes, plus two sage plants as ours have died this winter . I just have the cabbages left to plant and the tomatoes to tie in to their canes. Rain not forecast till tea time, then all day tomorrow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

With the closure of Majestic Discounts I see that the Co-op have moved into bedding plants. Far too early in Barlick, best to wait for another month. I hope yours do well Sue.
I shall be catching up after a big oversleep this morning after watching too much snooker and F1 yesterday! I shan't make the same mistake today! The first job is to defat and debone the leg of mutton I have had in the slow cooker.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I certainly won’t be planting anything in Rochdale. Here the average day temperature is about 15 and the nights 6, ( thats like mid summer in Rochdale ) it rains at least 2 days out of 7 , perfect conditions . But hey, I have no choice we are back home at the end of the week and not back till the end of June, which would be too late if i want veg this summer. They won’t be watered or pampered to, as tbere is no one to do it, its definitely survival of the fittest

Talking of rain, today is one of those days, a day of indoor occupation.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the natural way Sue! You have the satisfaction of knowing you have done your best and the rain is helping your efforts!

Here's the state of play in Barlick this morning. The Lilac is exploding, the chives are growing and the mint is sprouting but very slowly. I note the window box next door, we had a slight frost yesterday and I think there'll be another tonight. I think they'll be OK but not the best growing weather at the moment. It will be the same in Rochdale......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I planted onion sets outside yesterday and sowed broad beans and mange touts in the poly tunnel. The grass needs cutting so if Colin will get the mower out and check it over for me, I can attack that after F1 this afternoon. Not sure I will be able to start it up though.....one day I will get a new mower with a push button start :smile:
Major cleaning down at the son's house in Colne this morning. Ten years of neglect isn't a pretty sight! We have been burying our heads in the sand over it for too long, and are now three weeks into a huge clear out, clean and repair job. Col has installed a new gas boiler and got it passed by an engineer last week so at least there is hot water now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You sound busy Wendy. Kids are great but occasionally do throw up problems don't they. But, being parents, we bite the bullet and persevere!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Finding out what 'the message' at the surgery is all about!
Thinking about my next moves on the carronade. I haven't got the right wood yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I shall paint the upstairs loo today, after a visit to the DIY store for stuff for Bob and the market to get onion sets for planting. Thanks for reminding me Wendy.

Yesterday was a quiet day for me. I ironed in tbe morning and spent all afternoon painting and drawing, practising a picture for my art groups exhibition in October. The theme is Rawtenstall and the exhibition will be at Whittaker Museum. Its quite a challenge as it has to be just right, all mounted the same and size A4 which is rather small.

Whilst I was doing that Bob was doing the electric connection in the loft for the new ensuite shower. The access is through the ceiling in the upstairs loo so I couldn’t do my planned decorating.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good man Bob.... Did it rain? Something quite comforting about being under cover and watching rain......
I think I have found the answer to my gun carriage problems...... I shall be in the Drawing Office!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It rained all day Sunday , Stanley, and was cool and damp yesterday morning. The sun came out in the afternoon and my plants all looked very happy indeed! In the afternoon the gardener who cuts the hedges came and did the annual trim. Last year I persuaded Bob he can’t do everything!

Today has a sunny start. I shall finish the walls in the loo this morning and then we afe off out to lunch. Its our 47 th wedding anniversary, so warrants a trip out. Its a holiday here today so the local town will be busy with Spring tourists, enjoying the day and the weather
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Congratulations Sue.... I hope you have a nice day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Happy anniversary Sue.
Today I'm going start moving the electric fencing so the ponies have a fresh patch of grass, they have been on their winter paddock since October. I started weeding round my fruit bushes yesterday but didn't get very far, it was hard work! I should get that job finished today.
The History Society has some glass display cabinets stored in the New Road Community Centre which need to be moved out. They are being moved to a storage unit today by a Man with a Van and I need to be down there to help supervise, so I will be waiting for a phone call. Work on creating the new Earby library is well underway in the Centre.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I may have asked before Wendy but when do you go into action against the Red Mite?
I shall be making the bits for my gun carriage......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ive already started using mite powder on the perches and nest boxes. There are one or two around so I need to check regularly that they aren't spreading.
Family history today at Colne Library, I always look forward to Wednesday mornings.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nasty little things. I wonder why God created them?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 02 May 2018, 03:32 I shall be making the bits for my gun carriage......
I wonder will you be asking Tizer to mix you up some "black powder"? All your other constructions get tested for functionality.

Today I shall mainly be doing political campaign stuff. Local Elections tomorrow of course. Polling places open from 7am - 10pm. Count will be on Friday.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”