Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

It all depends on the family Sue. Many started at the age of 4 years if that freed the mother up for work and the schools were quite accommodating. I suspect they would be just as flexible on when the child started as well for the same reasons. So it's safe to assume that as soon as the child reached 4 years old they would be admitted and if it was half way through the year they would serve the next full year in the bottom form. That was what happened to me in 1940, the reason being to free mothers for war work, and I suspect the regime hadn't changed.
As for the long break for harvest, yes, it was still the same but there again there may have been provision for supervision at school to free the mothers. That was certainly the case for me during the war.
The bottom line is that there was less bureaucracy and head teachers had a lot of autonomy.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks Stanley, I wondered. I was brought up in Sheffield and started school the term I was 5 in my case January 1955. The funny thing was there were no special classes for the January starters. I joined the class and just did the same as the children who started in September. You had to learn quickly! Those who joined after Easter must have been seriously disadvantaged.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I don't remember the term I started school, but as I was born in August it was probably the Easter term when I would have still been 4. I was always one of the youngest in my year right through school and college, doing A levels at 17. I think it was a serious disadvantage!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My pal was always in a class one year ahead of me although his birthday was only a month in front of mine. It turned out his mother had registered him as a year older than he was so that she could go to work. They didn't find out until the eleven plus year. Mind you he was a very cleaver lad.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure yet. I am feeling a lot better and the shed is pulling..... I shall take a view later on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I attended year one at Rainhall Rd, don't know if it was a full year. I was born in October and we left England in February. I was 7. But I do know that here in Australia I was always among the shortest and youngest in each class.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I said originally that late entrants did the full year following their entry but looking back I'm not too sure. I tend to think I moved on with the rest of them. I can't remember any difficulty.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A bit of local shopping today for the folks back home, a bit of writing or research and then at 5.00 we have two sets of neighbours and families round for drinks and a few nibbles. The week has passed quickly. Packing tomorrow , ferry on Monday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecasters are saying that the Jet Stream is going to move North over weekend so our winds down here should ease just in time for your crossing Sue.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps a bit of shed, but F1 GP at 14:00. Otherwise being kind to myself and Jack and keeping dry and warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cooking, a bit of shed happen and more reading.
Yesterday I decided to file the cards in my small ready use box where I put them as I write them. They had to be transferred to the big index upstairs and I had forgotten how much hard work is involved. I was stood there for over an hour filing and it was harder than being in the shed because as you work though the alphabet the drawers get lower! Not good for your back. That clears the ready use box and I have no excuse now for not starting on Whitaker......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 07:02 The forecasters are saying that the Jet Stream is going to move North over weekend so our winds down here should ease just in time for your crossing Sue.....
Yes hopefully due to be much calmer today. The ferry is a bit later today so time for a cuppa in bed before we get up. Later leaving so later to Portsmouth so we are staying there in a hotel tonight and driving home tomorrow. All outside jobs done which is a surprise as we expected wet weather all week and unlike home its not been too bad. A successful week especially with our new neighbours who are a nice friendly couple with a little girl about 6 years old. The summer looks set to be fun in the hamlet , unlike the aniimosity over the last couple of years.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes. I was thinking about you this morning as we had our walk. Much better weather and nowhere near as much wind....
I have spent the last hour cooking. I had some oxtail nicely cooked and de-fatted and de-boned and now it has been filled up with veggies. That will be nicely on song at tea time. I might have straight veggies for dinner.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Christian

Post by Christian »

Having this afternoon off as I've ended up working the past 3 weeks without a day off. Meeting with a member of the local history group later to get a copy of the tithe maps so I can transpose them onto a modern day map along with all of the Historic England records. Should be fun!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"working the past 3 weeks without a day off"
That's not too bad Christian. Danny Pateman and I once did 3 years without a day off..... Those were the days!
Quiet day, I am feeling delicate.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Calm crossing. Woken up on French time in the hotel in Portsmouth ie 6.00 instead of 7.00 however we are in no rush to leave as we don’t want to hit rush hour on the M27 up to Southampton. We will probably cut across country a bit. We have stuff to drop off at Coventry, then home in time for Pilates. The body needs a good stretch after all this sitting.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Sue! And it looks as though you are coming home to the first hints of a change in the season. Full moon tomorrow and clocks change on the 31st. All moving in the right direction!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit of canny turning this morning, the final touch on Kev's cannon involves a small brass knob.
Usual looking after myself and Jack and more Mantel! I am geared up ready to attack Whitaker next! Expect some solid history.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

All good here at home except for two panes of glass out of the new greenhouse lying on the ground, luckily not broken.

I have a bit of washing to do this morning and we have a Tesco delivery at 9.00 a.m, hopefully after that we should manage a short walk. This afternoon I have a session with Maxine to start drafting out my new shirt pattern. Pilates this evening. I did enjoy yesterdays session. I needed a jolly good stretch after sitting in the car all day. Thankfully the drive back, though long was event free.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have had quite alen on the arch in our front plot. Tthe legs have rotted at the bottom and we had made the descision to remove and maybe replace at a later date. sally went out yesterday to crop back the climbers that were entwined up each side. No problem with the rose, released OK. Got to point on the other side and the whole lot collapsed! So decision for disassembly made. I have to saw it down to more manageable chunks to get it in the car and then we will be doing a trip to the recycling centre. Better check that it's open today as I think our depot is now on reduced hours.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 09:47 We have had quite alen on the arch in our front plot.
I read that the first time as `We have had a quiet alien on the arch in our front plot.' haha! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Should have read lean of course. All history now, I checked our re-cycling centre times and they are still open 7 days a week. Consultation and review is still under-way by the council though and the rumour is maybe three days a week. Anyway, all sorted greens and browns all in their respective skips. Seems strange looking out of the window and not seeing the arch, it's a bit lighter though as it was just offside of the front window. We may or may not replace it.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed is clean and tidy and it stays that way for a while. Kev picks up the cannon tomorrow. I have a feeling I shall be reading...... Not a lot of energy, that BCG lingers a bit!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Post pilates aches this morning, yet its only two weeks since my last session and I have been active all the time. It never ceases to amaze me how the body forgets! :smile:
Art this moning then a U3A general meeting this afternoon, yoga tonight.....I bet that is going to hurt!
Christian

Post by Christian »

After meeting a member of the local history group I now have a copy of Carleton & Lothersdale tithe map and the apportionment that goes with it.

I've taken a look at both and have decided to get the apportionment into a state that can be imported into a sql database. Then I can sort the tables and relationships out, and then get on with manipulating the map as a layer in QGIS and piecing it all together.. I have a feeling its going to be a labour of love!

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”