Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

It's happened to me before Sue and I realised that I previewed the post then cancelled the tab thinking I had submitted the post, easily done. Best bet with longer posts is to do them in a text editor first then copy and paste into the post editor.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Agreed Ian.

I was referring to Wendys manure heap and saying we could do with that in France. Our friends no longer keep goats and we have not yet found a source of horse manure. We buy dried horse manure from the builders and gardening merchant but it is expensive. Our compost seems to be too full of active seeds.
If you keep searching you will find it
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 13:10 It's happened to me before Sue and I realised that I previewed the post then cancelled the tab thinking I had submitted the post, easily done. Best bet with longer posts is to do them in a text editor first then copy and paste into the post editor.
The mistake I sometimes make if I'm rushing is to close the page rather than click Post. I've found that if I then immediately go to my browser history and click that page it comes back with my post still in the text box.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Agreed Tiz, I have done that on occasion. It only works as long as you have not opened another post edit session on the same page though.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sometimes happens to me first thing in the morning but it's often caused by a post from Maz arriving at exactly the same time. In the early Amstrad days I once lost 4 hours work after one of the frequent crashes. That taught me a lesson I never forgot!
Butcher's day today, they come round so quickly!
Keeping dry, it looks as though the tail end of Lorenzo has reached us....
Perhaps it would be cheaper to keep goats Sue!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

(oh...blame Maz!) :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not at all Maz, it's just a fact of life! You always get precedence!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Goats would eat all my plants as well Stanley. One of our neighbours kept goats once, and decided to munch my expensive giant lilies through the garden fence!. It would be cheaper not to grow veggie but not as much fun or as satisfying. My front garden here now looks very neat and tidy after my efforts on Wednesday. On my home from lunch out today I shall call at the garden centre and buy a Christmas rose and some primulas to brighten up the patch.

Gardening done, yesterday I at last did the toile for Bobs shirt, so I can get it cut out now ready for the sessions with Maxine which commence after our trip to France . I could make it without tuition but I am going to be taught the proper tailors way !

Before our weekly lunch it is art, we are designing totem poles to reflect our own lives, basing our ideas on the Alaskan totem poles. I wasn’t keen but have managed to come up with a few ideas. The medium is acrylics which are always good for covering up mistakes. This eveningBob is out at the model engineers AGM so it gives me time to read through my Widdup talk and make a few hand notes, ready for tomorrow mornings Breakfast Talk at Hebden Bridge, MY WIDDUP ANCESTORS, HEPTONSTALL AND BEYOND.I have the family line back to the mid 1500s , but can only confirm from 1785, the rest is intuitive speculation.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sue wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 07:06 It would be cheaper not to grow veggie but not as much fun or as satisfying.
That's also the conclusion we have reached! :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Eating curry and watching a Michael Jackson tribute act at the Four Elephants in Foulridge. It was very good on both counts. :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Each to his own Kev!
"the rest is intuitive speculation." I find that's the most interesting bit about history Sue. Good luck with the talk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The talk went very well thank you Stanley. It was only a very small group so it felt more like an informal chat. A few went away intending to research their own family trees😊

Today Claire Adam and Erin will visit. Adam started his new job with the Environment Agency this week so after 25 years with Tesco it will be interesting to hear how he got on. He did the same degree as Claire, Environmental science, but worked at Tescos as a student and was offered their graduate training programme. Since meeting Claire he has taken an active interest in her job withe EA, and with the threat of job losses at Tesco he has taken the plunge to retrain. It will be a tough couple of years financially but on the whole he thinks it is worth it. Claire loves her job and has never regretted her decision to take a pay cut to train with the Agency.

After their visit I will continue with the pattern adjustments on Bobs shirt.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The talk... good! The brave move from Tesco... I hope it goes well! God knows there is plenty for them to do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

...packing stuff into boxes and throwing stuff away :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

At our last move we had so much to dispose of that we needed help. Our estate agent put us in touch with his odd-job man and he was a great help, not just by taking stuff away but by selling some, taking some to charities and even delivering bits to needy folk in the village. His wife worked with him. His teenage daughters came and watched - they couldn't help because they were too busy with their important smartphones. :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've been putting a few bits and bats on the local Facebook selling page, which is working (I sold the fridge freezer) and I have a few bags for the local charity shop too. Trip number two to the tip will be on the cards in the next day or so.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's also Freecycle. My cousin used that to shift some of the stuff that was left behind by the previous occupants of our house. LINK It's surprising what people want when it's free!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be taking it easy recovering from my lunch with Mo and Jess. Changes to my routine are very tiring! (But welcome)
Lots of sleeping today......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 08:13 The talk... good! The brave move from Tesco... I hope it goes well! God knows there is plenty for them to do!
Yes a brave move. However after years of being a free spirit and in his job working shift time, evenings and even nights as well as every Saturday, one in three Sundays and every other Bank Holiday, one of the things he is most looking forward to is weekend time with the family. Meeting Claire and having Erin changed his out look on life. Whilst Erin was preschool he still had DAD TIME, on his day off on Tuesdays but after she started school he felt he hardly ever saw her. His own department that he managed in Tesco has been changed ie fresh bread is no longer made from scratch , his job was also under threat . Time for a change whilst still young enough to retrain. His week went well. He is based near Preston and a very easy drive up the M65 from their home in Ramsbottom. A bit differentfrom Claires arduous drive to Warrington.

Hairdressers this morning, then phone call from my GP re my cholesterol results. If he phones early enough I shall go to French this afternoon, if not I shall sew. Art this evening.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Cholesterol stabilised although goodness knows why my good cholesterol has gone down! No statins and another test in 12 months
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It may take some time for your system to settle down after the interference of the statins Sue. I believe you are thinking straight and heading in the right direction.
A bit of research/writing this morning, Tripps has set me a bit of a poser asking for the short version of Holy Wells! I haven't got one so I may have to write it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 03:12 It may take some time for your system to settle down after the interference of the statins Sue. I believe you are thinking straight and heading in the right direction.
A bit of research/writing this morning, Tripps has set me a bit of a poser asking for the short version of Holy Wells! I haven't got one so I may have to write it.
I had not been taking statins for over 4 months due to an adverse reaction. This was the second test after stopping and was the same as two months ago, hence the no need to go back on and a comment about the level stabilising. However the surprise was the decrease in good cholesterol as I have started only using olive oil when cooking and taking cod liver oil daily. Ah well the GP said if it was him he would not take the statins with those results even though I fall into the blanket area. I trust my GP so if he was happy I was. I have no family history of heat attacks under the age of about 85 and no family history of high cholesterol although Mum and Dad may have fallen into these new lower values. Alls well. One month to a repeat sugar test. Fingers crossed there

Bit of sewing this morning as I am making myself a cotton shirt so I can practice my machined buttonholes before I make Bobs. Hospice shop this afternoon , pilates and yoga this evening.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll take a small bet that you are right and will survive Sue.
I have an article for BET at the back of my mind......
Later... I've made a good start, I wrote the article and it is out in the wild now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've decided I have to have a project to get me back in the shed. I shall take a view of the money box and go looking for some castings, almost certainly for another engine... I shall see if anything catches my attention.
Otherwise keeping to our routines and looking after each other. Plenty of sleep!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Art, writing and yoga today. The last full day of activities for a couple of weeks. Child minding the grandchildren in Coventry on Saturday to Sunday as Julia and Ed are off to a wedding. Then its the ferry to France ready for an autumn tidy up. Hopefully we will catch up with Roland. We have had no news in nearly a month. We don’t even know where he is as he should have moved by now. We will be knocking on his friend Nicoles door . I do hope he is OK.

I spent a rainy day yesterday sewing my shirt. All went well until the third buttonhole. I am now unpicking that one! I had to pop into Rochdale for some buttons just as torrential rain hit. The water was gushing down Yorkshire street and I was literally paddling as if in a stream. The water came over my boots and demonstrated that they leak ! I did not know this. So it was wet socks, wet jeans and a change of clothes when I got back home. It was at this point that my sewing did a downhill turn. The sewing machine kept jamming, the hem was all crooked and then the buttonholes. Time for a brew and watch THE TIPPING POINT as I unpick the buttonhole, Knocked my cup of tea over , picked a hole into the fabric and thought....thats it for the day !

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”