Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

I use the phone for emergencies, i go out a lot at night by myself my phone is my secuurity. I tried PAYG it didn’t work for me as I forgot to top it up and when I needed it I had no money left. Three years ago I decided to change and it has worked for me, i had a good deal, I just wanted the same. As it happens O2 could not give me a deal as cheap. There idea of cheap was the same price but more free texts etc. They could not understand that was not what I wanted. I got one from THREEE, and very happy with the phone.

The phone is particularly useful in France when our main line is often getting cut off. We also find it useful if Bob amd I have gone out together but have seperated ie shops and wish to find the other. Normally we just use Bobs phone and that is the number I give out. It works for us. I do use the little camera a lot, it is easier to carry around than my camera or ipad. It is a useful calculator, great when shopping for fabric and I use it to check emails etc particularly when travelling. I like the alarm and the weather forecast functions too. Until I put a SIM card in my ipad it was my main usage when travelling , in fact I probably use the other functions more than the phone
If you keep searching you will find it
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

chinatyke wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 08:55
Sue wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 08:26 Its a three year old phone. I don’t use it very much
Sorry Sue, I'm not into the modern way of must-have-the-latest phone. My friend gave me his used Nokia E5 to replace my Nokia C2, which was passed on to me by my wife, but I haven't used it yet. Might change the sim & memory cards over today and start using it because I'll be seeing him on Sunday. I only use it for calls and sms so don't need anything fancy. Just checked and my C2 was released June 2010 and the E5 was released Aug 2010, so not much difference but it has a much better camera. Nowhere near today's camera specs.
I put my sim and memory cards in the E5. My contacts didn't show up but it showed my friend's name when he rang me so it must be reading the contact details. It hasn't got a Chinese character set so it can't display Chinese messages. Far too complicated for me and, all things considered, a dismal failure. I've gone back to my old and trusted Nokia C2 and will remain a dinosaur.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Don’t misunderstand me. Mine was not a new phone,nor a fancy phone, the functions I used are basics on most phones. I paid for the simm only, but it had stopped being reliable. The battery particularly was dodgy, the memory capacity very low so the functions I used frequently failed. I need to change it .if it hadn’t got these problems i would just have repeated what I did last year and the year before. I too am not into fancy new phones, hence my request for the cheapest phone on the lowest rates, that did what I needed. O2 could could not provide, but THREE could. It should last me another three or four years.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 12:36
I put my sim and memory cards in the E5. My contacts didn't show up but it showed my friend's name when he rang me so it must be reading the contact details. It hasn't got a Chinese character set so it can't display Chinese messages. Far too complicated for me and, all things considered, a dismal failure. I've gone back to my old and trusted Nokia C2 and will remain a dinosaur.
Sounds as though the contacts list is saved to your phone rather than the sim. There is an option, within contacts, to copy to the sim card.

Copy contacts to sim
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The new supplier copied mine for me, and set up my email account. I am happy with my basic phone, it will do what i need. I remembered earlier today why I stopped PAYG, when we were in France for long periods of time I spent more per month than having a contract phone. We spend even more time there now.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think it costs the same anywhere in Europe now. I rang my son last week thinking he was at home, and he answered immediately saying he was just about to sit down for dinner in Paris.

Immediate connection - good audio quality, and still just 1p a minute. Amazing - especially to someone who just about remembers Button A and Button B, and putting your name on a very long waiting list for a house phone which was black and clunky. :smile:

I'm happy with my 1P Mobile PAYG at the moment.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I PAYG...I rarely phone anyone as I hate talking on the phone! Mostly I just text. I have the iPad with its own internet so do emails and send photos from that, which is very handy when we travel.
Works for me.

Food shopping today to avoid weekend crowds. In and out, quick as a flash, armed with list, then home to the peace and quiet.
Can't stand all these extra bodies in town at this time of year, but that's what you get when you live in a tourist destination, especially in the Summer holidays.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am sure PAYG works for you all but it didn’t work for me, I am happy , I have a new cheap basic phone to replace a dying one and I can do what I want to do when and where I want. I am far from a phone fanatic, anything but, three years ago I did not have an ipad with 4 G. Now i do but the phone is more portable in my bag when out and about. In France when the phone is down, its a boon. Ok it now costs the same here and in France but it didn’t. Texts used to cost 20 or 30 pence. Phone alls were out of the question. They may be again after Brexit! At tge end of the day I still needed to buy a new phone mine was getting very unreliable
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 13:14
Sounds as though the contacts list is saved to your phone rather than the sim. There is an option, within contacts, to copy to the sim card.

Copy contacts to sim
I did that Kev. On my old C2 phone it means each contact appears twice so I know I've duplicated the list on the phone and memory card. Thanks anyway.
Just a thought, should I have copied the list from my memory card to the new phone memory? When you say the list is on your phone do you mean on your SIM card or on a phone's memory chip?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Best to store them on the Sim, that way they are transferable.
Older phones only had the option to store on the phones memory. A message generally comes up asking where you want to store your contacts when you put a new contact in so you could go through that excercise?
A lot of it is done via Bluetooth too.
( my hubby has 240 contacts in his phone, and the Bluetooth in the car didn't bat an eyelid transferring his contacts list. I thought it would kick up a fuss. I was most impressed.)

I keep telling him he should check all those, cos half of them are probably dead by now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps I should learn to make calls on mine......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 00:56
Big Kev wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 13:14

Copy contacts to sim
I did that Kev. On my old C2 phone it means each contact appears twice so I know I've duplicated the list on the phone and memory card. Thanks anyway.
Just a thought, should I have copied the list from my memory card to the new phone memory? When you say the list is on your phone do you mean on your SIM card or on a phone's memory chip?
On the phone's 'memory chip'.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A bit of education please. Know nothing about these phone thingies so anything is better than nothing.
SIM Cards. A SIM card, also known as a subscriber identity module, is a smart card that stores data for GSM cellular telephone subscribers. Such data includes user identity, location and phone number, network authorization data, personal security keys, contact lists and stored text messages.
Internal memory. Internal memory is the manufacturer-installed storage space, usually 16, 32 or 64GB, where the operating system, pre-installed apps and other system software is installed. The total amount of internal storage cannot be increased or decreased by the user
External memoryExternal, or expandable, memory refers to a removable MicroSD card or similar. Many devices which feature an MicroSD card slot are sold with a card already inserted. SD card = Secure digital card.

Q 1a How much memory does the SIM card need and what happens if it overflows.
Q 1b If you transfer one SIM card to another phone what does it take with it.
Q 2 If the Operating system uses up most of the internal memory how do you store images and video
Q 3 If there is an SD card installed are the images automatically stored on them so that they become 'transportable.

Probably a lot more questions but I don't know enough to ask.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good questions, I would like some anwers too. I am not phone literate, better with my ipad and computer and try to keep very basic. I know my old phone operating system used up a lot of its storage. The few apps I had, most being included with the phone, quickly used up the rest as apps were updated. Thus the memory was full, the phone slowed down incredibly and I could no longer run my yahoo email on it. I was annoyed at how much space the games took up, a standard app included that I never ever used but could not get rid of.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm in the same boat as both of you..... I put a memory card in the phone just to make sure....
Today I shall be in the shed again. The disposable gloves are fine and I am gradually learning more about sharpening cutters! Slow but very satisfying and I have now revised my set up again. It's perfectly safe now, the cutter can't get away on me.....I have stopped being frightened of it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue, I can't recall whether or not you said your phone was an Iphone but if it is this news story might interest you...
`Apple faces lawsuits over slowed iPhones'
"Two class action lawsuits have been launched against Apple in the US following the tech giant's admission that it slows down older models of the iPhone as they age. Apple has said that it did this to "prolong the life" of the devices and maximise diminishing battery power..." LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

No definitely not an iphone, about the cheapest basic phone you can get, a HONOR 6A
https://www.androidcentral.com/honor-6a
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 07:10

Copy contacts to sim

You are right, Kev. Thanks for the link. Now I've discovered that I have 3 memories not 2: the phone, the SIM and my own memory card! I had copied my contacts from the phone to my memory card but not to the SIM card. Unfortunately it still shows no contacts in the E5. The friend who gave me the phone has just rung and couldn't help me but I'm seeing him tomorrow so I'm sure he'll be able to sort it out. 1 hour later: Yippee! Somehow I found: <Contacts to display> and it was showing Phone memory and not Sim Card so I added SIM card and all my contacts appeared. I'm a happy bunny for now. Far too complicated!
Thanks for your help Kev.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Today I have mainly been moving bottles of water and minced pies over to the Bosom Friends shop ready for the morning and the Santa Fun Run. Just have to transfer to the Town Square tomorrow morning where the run finishes. Gantry and gazebos to go up and I am at the behest of the Chief Elf for whatever duties I am given. We had to cancel it from earlier in the month because the pavements were too treacherous at the time. 5k, run, jog or walk for Christmas Eve, what more do you need. :extrawink: :biggrin2: :santa2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be doing a bit in the shed but taking advantage of the free leccy to do washing, cleaning and cooking. The better the day the better the deed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Happy Christmas to everyone.
I've just returned home from Nanning on the high speed train. It impresses me every time I go on one, speeding silently at 205k/h through the Guangxi countryside. I feel I'm so lucky to be here. The trains are so comfortable I always fall asleep. It is only a 75 miles/45 minute journey and one day I'll not wake in time. Last night we had a Christmas dinner with friends. Turkey, beautifully cooked with lots of good food, strawberries and cream, wine, beer, Baileys, Port, After Eights, Ferrero Rocher chocolates, we were short of nothing. Back home to noodles again!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds good China! I shall be having a normal day and celebrate Xmas with Susan tomorrow when she comes for a steak butty, her version of Xmas dinner and it suits me!
Happy Xmas day to all of you....... XXX
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Portcullis down and drawbridge up. Settling down to a quiet day and the compulsory nap after dinner. Spotted a bottle of Prosecco in last weeks shopping basket, a rare treat. The nap may last a bit longer than usual. Christmas is for kids but that's no reason for why we should enjoy ourselves. Happy Christmas to everyone. :santa2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm just going to have my dinner P, pork pie and veggies. Then I shall join you in spirit and have my afternoon sleep. I've had a good morning in the shed.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”