Today I shall be Mainly...

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 08:38 Bottom line is that I was very lucky, no tendons or serious veins cut....
And you can still count to ten on your fingers and thumbs! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Friends came for a meal last night. Today there is shoping to do , followed by removing large weeds from my asparagus patch. There is a thick frost at the moment, but a nice day is forecast at 7 degrees
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're a bit milder too Sue but a big wind chill and perhaps snow tonight.
I am deep in Arthur C Clarke and will be doing nothing again today....... Finger still tender on the shallow cut, heals much slower being down to the bone but no signs of any infection. I shall be patient!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

You were lucky with that cut. My daughter Julia cut her finger with a kitchen knife in the washing up bowl. It went down to the bone and cut her tendon. The top of her finger now droops over. My Dad had a similar injury at work, his little finger had a permanent bend afterwards always getting in the way. He contemplated amputation as it was so annoying. It affected his ability to play the piano. He got some compensation at work, but money isn’t everything and didn’t solve the problem

We leave at lunchtime, i shall wash towels etc before we go and leave them drying on the airer as usual. I want to make a quick call to an art and craft shop for a Christmas present for my artist friend Wendy. Its the best shop like that I have seen in France and very reasonable price
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Sue. I've had time to think about it and what saved the tendon (and I believe speeded the healing) was that it wasn't a slice or clean cut, it was a ragged tear caused by the sharp corners of the cutter. As I keep saying, that one is healing much faster than to shallow one.
As my dad always said, there's a providence looks after drunken men and idiots! I let my attention wander for one second......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a workshop itch which at the moment is to have a look at what is stopping my back door locking.... We shall see how strong the urge is! Otherwise looking after myself and reading. Finger could stand it I think......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just arrived in Portsmouth, it was a bit rough at times.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking about your trip Sue. Glad you are back safely....
I resisted the shed yesterday! I shall do the same today. Get the shopping out of the way and then reading......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The drive home was worse. We had to go to Gloucester first to see my brother in law and neice. Left there at 1.20 pm and it took until 7 to get home. Even before Birmingham we had to keave the motorway, cut inland then return at Stafford . We were at Stafford at about 3.40 pm tben we just did 40 mph all the way home due to volume of traffic not accidents. We missed pur Tesco delivery at 6 so had nothing for tea so had to go out again for a take away. The delivery will come today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you did well..... I've had those trips myself when the motorway was closed and I had to go onto the old roads.... Glad you are home!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Taking care of myself....... No shed adventures!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Hairdressers this morning, then Claire and Erin are coming over. We shall put the tree up with Erins help! I finished wrapping presents yesterday and posted cards and parcels. Later this week I shall pop over to Crosby to see my sister and deliver her present, otherwise its a week of dentist, pedicure, Christmas meals, helping at the hospice shop and if I have chance an odd yoga or pilates class.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All go as usual Sue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 07:45 its a week of dentist, pedicure,
You make it sound as if you have foot and mouth disease. I wish I had your energy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As my mother used to say, she has a wheel up her bum.
I shall be looking after myself, doing the cooking and washing on free leccy and letting my finger have some fresh air......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I like to keep busy within reason, keeps the body ticking over nicely. I had a job where inactivity was impossible, day or evening. I still have the same energy levels , well nearly but use it on things I want to do!

I took my lovely three year old granddaughter out to post the neighbours and local friends Christmas cards yesterday, what a delight they are at that age, non stop logical chatter. She also helped decorate the house. I have tinsel, carefully wound round door handles, and knitted snow men and Santas hanging from the handles of my kitchen cupboards. We have a lot of silly musical ornaments which she proceeded to entertain herself with playing musical statues and musical bumps. We had a long discussion about my indoor Christmas wreath made from fabric. She insisted it was hung on a door outside but settled for inside. When we were out delivering cards she saw a wreath on a door and said “ See, grandma, that is where they should be’ I have been told!

Claire tells me that the other day, Erin was sat in bed between the two of them . She asked Claire for something, but Claire said no she couldn’t have it, then she asked Adam and he said the same( she probably wanted a biscuit) . After a moment Erin said ‘ I want Grandma’. do you think she has me under her thumb. Love her to bits like all my grandchildren, but living so close I see the weekly development in this little love. That development is rapid at the moment, she is pre school and is obviously learning pencil skills, her drawing is coming on a treat, with recognisable structures like caterpillers, Christmas trees and flowers. Three months ago she was still just scribbling.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very rewarding time with kids Sue. I remember it well..... People who have not reared children don't know what they missed!
You know what I shall be doing, keeping my finger mobile but not exposing it to any more injuries, not even a sharp knock! Mind you, I have an increasing shed itch!
By the way, Margaret reported yesterday that my great grandson Alex made a request the other day for a 'steam weekend'. He meant he wanted his granddad to take him next door where they have a compressor so that he could see his engine running. I think he may be infected!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Anticipating the locksmith while looking after my finger which is much better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Be looking after Isla and Finlay, we had them yesterday as well but sent them home last night as we had an important meeting to attend. Their dad brought them back this morning. Brought about by the disparity in school term times. Our Carla works in North Yorkshire at Glusburn School but her kids go to school in Silsden which is over the border in West Yorkshire. Silsden school has broken up for Christmas, Glusburn is later this week. :surprised:

When I worked in school we had a 9 week recess one summer during the BSF project. Part of that was to bring all schools to parity on holidays, it was all sorted. Not taken long to begger it all up again. Can't blame the faith schools on this one, neither of these primaries are Catholic.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be resisting the urge to go into full shed mode as my finger is almost ready. Discretion is the better part of valour and anyway I have been thinking about why it happened and am working out a way to prevent it happening again! A ticklish little problem but I know there is an answer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was a full day yroeterday, dentist, yoga, hospice shop and then in the evening we went to my sisters in Crosby and had a meal. We got back at half past midnight. Today I shall pay O2 a visit about a new phone. They have been pestering me for weeks, they had better have a good offer, as my phone contract does not run out until February. Its a three year old phone. I don’t use it very much
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sue wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 08:26 Its a three year old phone. I don’t use it very much
Why do you want a new one then?

Sorry Sue, I'm not into the modern way of must-have-the-latest phone. My friend gave me his used Nokia E5 to replace my Nokia C2, which was passed on to me by my wife, but I haven't used it yet. Might change the sim & memory cards over today and start using it because I'll be seeing him on Sunday. I only use it for calls and sms so don't need anything fancy. Just checked and my C2 was released June 2010 and the E5 was released Aug 2010, so not much difference but it has a much better camera. Nowhere near today's camera specs.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue, they're desperate to lock you in again before your contract runs out. Why not let it run out and then take out the SIM card and replace it with a PAYG one from a cheaper provider? Especially as you don't use it much. We've discussed the PAYG ones in the Mobile Phones thread. Tripps and I have 1pMobile SIM cards LINK He will use his phone more than I do and would probably give you his opinion of the service.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never taken the Pluggy Memorial Samsung Galaxy phone seriously and only use it as a means of connecting to Whatsapp, I think I once made a call by accident!
I might poke my head in the shed to visualise what went wrong when the cutter bit me and what the cure is. I think I have it sussed. It may well be that in the accessories for the grinder I already have the answer, if not, I shall make it! Problem is I have Norman on the go and his new book, 'Beneath Another Sky' a global journey into history, arrived yesterday. Another fascinating 700 pages......
[Is there room in my head for it......?]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”