Today I shall be Mainly...

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Wendyf »

Out in the poly tunnel, still tidying up and starting to get a few seeds in. It was pleasantly warm in there yesterday.
Also thinking about my dad who died 10 years ago. I spent the night at Mum's on Saturday and dug out the hundreds of wartime letters they wrote to one another. All we did was to sort them into 4 boxes, one for each year. There was a also a note book which documents Dad's service. Not a diary, but probably written up from diaries. I was reading it last night, and it has given me lots to think about while pottering in the polytunnel. He was an RAF ground gunner, and went to the Middle East after training. He was a barber before the war, and he starts "plying his trade" on the ship on the way out. I don't know what squadron he was with, but his unit appear to be moving forward providing protection for the "kites" which turn up a few days after the ground crew. In 1942 he went on a training course near Amman, was the best trainee so far and got taken on as an instructor, so for a couple of years his life improved considerably.
Here he is. (Dad digitised a load of pictures for me before he died, and labelled them too.)
150.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Oh Wendy Isn't it wonderful to have pictures of your dad and that you have all that history to preserve. You are lucky. I don't know what happened but other than dad's wedding photo onwards I have none. I have some of his sister and his brother all in later life none as a family with his parents and none from the war years. My dad was a joiner was in the REME and drafted on to the Imperial staff at the museum in London. His job was to go to the battlefields and crate up the weapons that were left there German and British. They were married for 40 years before his demise and mum lived 30 years as a widow. There was 7 children 6 boys and me, I am the youngest.

Eileen
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Smashing picture Wendy, your dad looks very young in the photo which is a refreshing change, lots of folk used to look a lot older than their years due to the fashions of the day. Fantastic also that you have all the letters and journal.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He was only 20 at that point Ian, and probably enjoying his new life. Made a change from cutting hair in Dudley Hill and having no prospects beyond that.
I cant imagine what it must be like to not have a photographic record of the family Eilleen, I am lucky to have pictures going back to great grandparents.
If I write up Dad's journal, would it be appropriate to post it on OGFB?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you do Wendy, I would suggest you put it into a new topic. If you remember back on the old site we had a thread called Barlickers in the War where mainly Nolic and myself posted stuff about our dads service. The thread did attract quite a bit of attention and encouraged other contributors to add their photos and recollections as well

I've included the link below.

Barlickers in the War
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I did the same for my kids Wendy, made sure I left them some clues as to who their dad was! Good idea of Ian's, anything you post helps preserve the memory and trigger others. What OG is all about.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Today I shall be mainly going to the dentist

Eileen
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have inherited lots of lovely photos of my Dad as a young boy, teenager and young man.

Today I will be gardening here in not so sunny Brittany. The ladslove has shoots on it Stanley, my broad beans are up and I still have sprouts, carrots and a few tiny parsnips. There are establised bits of garden to weed, roses to cut back and new veggie plots to establish. We are going to be busy. A neighbour has moved and a new one expected.
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Granddaughter day and blood donor day, busy hydrating, will hold me in good stead for both tasks!
Ian
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Sue

Hope the weather improves in Brittany we sail to Roscoff on 30.03.2012.

Eileen
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not donating blood - session at Barlick cancelled. See:

Blood Donors Topic
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, no problems with my teeth after pot gobbler insertion 53 years ago. Still got the same ones!
Sue, glad to hear the Ladslove has survived. Thought about you last night as I sat in front of the fire with my feet being massaged by the UA3 Memorial foot spa. (it's a long story Kids if you are baffled by that report)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Only needed a check up teeth and gums are fine and fortunately I still have all my own teeth including wisdom teeth. Booking ferry for Brittany today then three months of rest and relaxation.

Eileen
One Carleton Gal

Post by One Carleton Gal »

celebrating 'International Women's Day'
Sally
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I shall be spending much of the day catching up on the site after being absent for over a week while helping my wife sort out a bereaved relatives affairs down south.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Hello Sally , and Welcome !
Looks like you are into Folk Dancing , have you got any tunes or videos you'd like to post over on Bradders Ramblings , I wonder.?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

This morning was cold so we popped to the shops for a few essentials. Now the sun is out and Bob has reminded me that I have over 50 shrubs to plant in the paddock!!! I'd better go. He is planting another row of fruit trees. We WILL tame this paddock or field/champ as they call it here. The rhubarb I transplanted into a bigger patch all of its own, in December, is sprouting beautifully. The forecast is good until next tuesday so best get on with it
If you keep searching you will find it
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

..........looking forward to another weekend of 6 Nations Rugby Union. My sport of choice - gave up on football years ago. Breaking the habit of a lifetime, I actually now watch the England games in the local pub. Rugby is very popular on Wirrall (there are over 10 clubs in a small area), and the pub is packed for the Internationals with players, ex-players and proper fans generally. At half time, the trays come out laden with roast potatoes and sausage, gratis of course.

.............and a long walk on the beach and out to Hilbre Island as the tide is right and the weather set fair.

Richard Broughton
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Same here Bruff. I used to watch on large screen at Colne and Nelson clubhouse but the Timmy Taylors had a bad effect on my eyes. I now watch at home with a nice cup of coffee. I hope England manage to get the ball out to the backs -if so we'll see France on their back legs. Anyone for a bet as to how many time Harinordoquy goes down feigning injury in order to get a breather?? Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've watched a few games recently - can anyone explain what is the purpose of the scrum , and the lineout? In have not seen one yet where the side that put the ball in didn't get it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Richard ...My friend Arthur Billington used to spend a lot of time on Hilbre (I think his Family own a building on the island ,that they stay in).
He recently moved to Wells in Somerset , so I don't know how often he gets to visit these days . He used to spend his days bird watching and painting (with lovely results )...
Next time we speak I'll ask him if they still go there ......sounded idyllic !
Last edited by Bradders Bluesinger on 09 Mar 2012, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Tripps, both scrums and lineouts are for re-starts in the game and are generally what distinguishes rugby union from league.
Part of the skill in lineouts is to try to read your opponents calls/intended placement of the ball and to be able to move your men to attack the ball or to form a defensive maul around the opposing team.
Scrums used to be an exiting and challenging part of the game. The scrum half by law is expected to throw the ball into the central channel between the two front rows but invariably places the ball either at his own hookers feet or behind the front row without any penalties being given - listen to Brian Moore ranting about this. One of the other problems in recent years has been that in an attempt to make scrums safer and stop too many from collapsing the IRU introduced the set up by referee's that is in place now "Crouch, hold, engage". Many teams now anticipate the engage and hit the opposing front row with as much force as possible to get a shove on at the same time as the ball is placed in the scrum. This leads to a number of penalties, free kicks and re-set scrums which is having a detrimental effect on the game.
If you are interested in learning more... and an understanding of the laws does help..... have a look herehttp://www.rugby-sidestep-central.com/b ... rules.html
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Bradders - there are no permanent residents on Hilbre Island anymore. There was a ranger who lived permanently with his family up 'till last year, but he stepped down and it is hard to get folk to commit to this given the isolation. There are now no plans for the Council to have a permanent ranger. At low tide, when you can get across to it, there is a lifeguard/coastguard presence about if any difficulties arise but no one lives there. There are a few buildings, including the ruins of the old lifeboat station. Mostly though, these are now used by bird-watchers and the 'friends of Hilbre' who look after the place etc. It is a lovely spot but you have to be careful. It is surrounded by water 12 hours a day, it's windward side has precipitous drops, you have to take the right route out to and back from it, and be mindful of the vageries of the on-coming tide. Plus you need to watch the weather. A few weeks back, a father and son had gone out and on return, a thick fog came in. They were completely disorientated and thankfully, the lifeboat found them albeit they were hypothermic and up to their waists in water.

On rugby union, if you are new to it, it is worth knowing that the game is not governed by rules, but laws. And the referee interprets these laws. This means each referee is subtly different. It also explains the constant chatter from the referee you'll hear, as he is interpretating what is happening in front of him and communicating this to the players.

Should be good game Sunday. Unless they are playing England, I always support the French. I've had some great times watching rugby in France.

Richard Broughton
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for your replies gents. I remain mystified. "Rules" which are in fact "laws" which I'd have thought carried more weight, are "subtly interpreted " and breaches of them are routinely totally ignored. I'll stick to racing. Cheltenham starts next week - that'll keep me amused.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

I got married in the Church at Prestbury more or less overlooking the racecourse there. The vicar that married us, blesses the course, the festival and the racegoers each year. Not sure if all the vicars of Prestbury church have done this, might just be him.

Richard Broughton

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”