Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Sue. I agree with you, I often think of the process of taking a lump of metal and finding the shape you want inside it is pure sculpture but I don't know if an art expert would agree with that! When I have finished a part I often have it in the kitchen and pick it up and marvel at how I got there! (The completed cylinder and valve for Susan's engine is on the sideboard as I write. A nice ornament to the house I reckon!)
I shall be in the shed today, cooking is done for a few days, all I have to do is get a helping out of the fridge and heat it. Cooking and housework can consume a life if you let it!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a beautiful morning like yesterday was a beautiful day. Yoga done, bedding changed and I spent the rest of the day just pottering in the garden. I started tidying the greenhouse, putting seed trays away in the garden shed, and pulling up three tomato plants now over. I tidied my beans outside stripping off the bulk of the leaves so the numerous flowers were more exposed and I moved my pot of butternut squash to a warmer spot. Online help suggested there is still hope for them till October.

Whilst Bob was out doing track maintenance at the park I pottered off to the garden centre which was packed but well organised and bought some winter bedding plants and that will be todays task, a bit more tidying and planting. It will be nice to be outside again. Tomorrow we have decided to go out for the day , pilates and yoga taking a back seat whilst we have the opportunity to enjoy the last blast of summer.

I started my next genealogy assessment whilst sitting in the evening. I only have two and a half left to go. The results for 4 others arrived in my message box. So far so good, 6 assessments all at 100%. Not a great feat bearing in mind I think the course is aimed at beginners but it shows I have learned a lot over the years and it has helped me formulate a few ideas for the future.

Have a good day everyone.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today's plan includes chimney sweeping as it's a good day for going up on the roof. Not me of course, I'm inside watching for the brush to come down and getting anxious.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hope you are wearing overalls, with hair tied in a scarf, Wendy....you could get mucky today pet!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 06:27 Today's plan includes chimney sweeping as it's a good day for going up on the roof. Not me of course, I'm inside watching for the brush to come down and getting anxious.
A brush? Do you not have a live chicken? :surprised:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good one Kev! Remember Charlie's story about the bloke who swept the chimney at the pub in Brierfield by doing just that. Problem was the pub was packed and he dropped it down the wrong chimney. He was not a popular man! I'd have loved being there to watch at a safe distance.
That man Colin is a hero. Luckily all mine needed was a clear out of the bend at the bottom of the flue. I wish you both a good result.
Sue, once more you shame me. I contrast your gardening with my jungle of Mint and Ladslove. Still I'll bet my insects are happy. I know my limitations.
I have had two hours in the shed. As usual, a breather, a walk and then breakfast and post in Shed Matters.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Marilyn wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 06:57 Hope you are wearing overalls, with hair tied in a scarf, Wendy....you could get mucky today pet!
I'm always dressed for getting mucky Maz! It's an annual task and because he sweeps it from the top the stove door stays shut till the soot has settled. It's never bad as we burn dry, well seasoned wood and the chimney has a good straight draw.
I'm just imagining have a sooty hen flapping around the living room! :surprised:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wendyf wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 06:27 Today's plan includes chimney sweeping as it's a good day for going up on the roof. Not me of course, I'm inside watching for the brush to come down and getting anxious.
Ours is coming in two weeks, always glad to see the back of him 😂
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is the start of eccentric making.... I've had a good 2 hours because I haven't made any mistakes!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had to tell my friend that the rose she chose to put in my garden in memory of her son’s death, at the time of his suicide 6 years ago, looks like it has died. A bit of a stab in the heart for both of us, but I have assured her I will not dig it out yet. I will give it some time.
I assured her I shall give it a very good talking to tomorrow. She lives a few thousand kilometres away, so I think I will video my chat with the plant.
Things in our garden seem to suddenly come back to life ( but I am sure the rose is dead).
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Job done but definitely not dusted and Col is set to replace the seal round the chimney pipe. It was clean as a whistle, just a handful of soot and some ash, none of the tarry bits we usually get.
20200914_114633.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Marilyn wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 09:26 She lives a few thousand kilometres away
Be kind - get another rose and tell her you coaxed it back to life. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 11:54
Or plant another and be honest about it. Surely it is the memory it represents and not the plant itself?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 14:41
Tripps wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 11:54
Or plant another and be honest about it. Surely it is the memory it represents and not the plant itself?
Absolutely, I have a rose for my Mum, one here and one in the french garden, if either dies I shall replace it. Its Mums spot . I look at it and think of her. I can see it from my conservatory, where I am now ( recovering with a beer, Stanley) . It just says hello, Sue, hello Mum, whilst I sit here. Its about to flower again.

As for my garden Stanley, it doesn't normally get this attention but with all my U3A activities a d art classes curtailed for the foreseeable future it keeps me occupied .
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It was one of those strange situations. Her son and young family lived not far from me...she lived a gypsy life in a caravan. She flew back and stayed with me when son died. One day I took her to the garden centre and said “Choose whatever Rose speaks to you, I will buy it and we can plant it together in my garden.” ( she didn’t have a garden, as she constantly travelled in her van)
So each birthday, and the anniversary of his death I send her pictures. The anniversary looms, so I had to be honest that the plant had died. I may pop to the garden centre and see if I can get another one. It should be blooming now, as it was blooming when she selected it 6 years ago.
I still remember the name of the Rose. It was called “A Mother’s Love”. It is yellow.
Can’t be too hard to find. I shall drag hubby there for a walk later.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, if there was no tar in the flue it shows you were running it hot enough on wood, that's good!
Going to be even warmer today. Usual Routine and eccentric turning in the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Nice story Maz, hope you find a replacement.

Lovely morning, we are off out for the day to Ingleton falls . We shall have a walk and lunch in a cafe or somewhere outside. It was a successful gardening day yesterday , but rather warm work. By afternoon we retreated to the shade with a beer, but a good job done. Still lots to do though. I have given up on my summer squash so next garden task is to pull them up and refill the pots with the begonias from the front garden. I shall try and protect them over the winter for next year. I have one such trough on our steps by the conservatory door and it has survived two winters now. It has been in constant flower since May.

I received the results of another 4 assessments of my genealogy course, all passed with 100%.l completed another last night so just one and a half to go, these last two are a bit tricky and will take longer.

So its an early cup of tea this morning, breakfast and out. Speak tomorrow

Have a a good day everyone
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I planted up some tubs last week with violas, primulas and cyclamen, it's the first time I've bothered as it gets so wild and bleak up here but fancied a bit of autumn colour. Yesterday evening I brought the ponies into the barn for an hour as they were being pestered by midges but I forgot to shut the gate. When I went back out as it got dark I found some sheep destroying my efforts, munching on the violas and pulling them out of the tubs. :sad: Today's jobs will include seeing what I can recover.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The video would sell if we had one of your reaction Wendy! Hard luck.
Sounds like a nice trip out Sue, long time since I waked round the Falls....
I have knocked off a bit early but progress has been made. I shall reveal all in Shed Matters.
Now for a breather, a walk, breakfast and post. It's all go.... We're getting a bit of overcast at the moment but it will still be a warm day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Couldn’t find my friend’s Rose at the Garden Centre today, however I found a lovely one, red, appropriately named for my son after the loss of his Labrador. I shall suggest he plant it outside his bedroom bay window. His dog always laid there on a sunny day and slept there, beside his bed at night. I may have to babysit the rose for a few weeks ( he is working horrendous shifts just now with no clear view in sight yet). That is ok. It will happen. He will get it. We can plant it together.
( all this started many years ago whenever he lost a pet ( mouse/goldfish etc), or a sick bird we picked up and bought home died, I always lit a candle and brought some flowers in from the garden...he thought the angels would come for the poor deceased creature...we even did it for a garden snail once!)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I feel for you Wendy.
I hope you can save some of your efforts for Autumn colour.
I have just potted up some annuals for Spring/Summer colour, and still have a rose to do.
Small birds are always here, and butterflies are already visiting. Won’t be long before the bees notice .
I’m looking forward to lots of colour.
No sheep ‘ere 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We always buried dead pets under a Hawthorn tree in the garden and the kids asked me to make a cross and nail it to the tree.

If you look to the right of Shireen's hand you'll see it on the tree.
I shall be in the shed trying to forget yesterday's near disaster!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

With the weather warming up, I need to switch to lighter footwear, so I have had several changes of shoes today trying to find ones I feel confident in keeping on (given the nerve deficit in my right foot). I’m going to have to hunt for Summer footwear with a back strap to ensure full confidence. That may mean discarding about 5 pairs of thongs and several pairs of slip on sandals/wedges. I resorted back to proper sneakers for our walk.
As well as footwear, I’ve been pulling a Polar Fleece on and off all day. It was T-shirt weather outside, but cold inside the house. All this on and off activity just to remain comfortable! It is ridiculous.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I live in Crocs clogs inside and wellies outside.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

My brother who is partially disabled and lives by himself is really feeling the strain of lockdown at the moment. This is the one who I had a fall out with about three years ago but my daily blog has mended the rift somewhat . We went to see him about 6 weeks ago and have been his only visitors. I can fully understand how he feels , even as a couple the boredom stakes are high. We would go and see him but we are not allowed. The Greater Manchester restrictions are here for the duration as there is no way the numbers are going to go down which means we are not allowed to see anyone inside a building or outside except in a public place such as a park and we cannot meet at a restaurant etc . We cannot even see Julia and family as that is a three hour journey away and to stand in a park afterwards just to drive back is not on. However at least we can get out and about, which he can’t.

We had a good day yesterday walking the Ingleton waterfall trail. It was described as an arduous 5 miles, which it was . The rule was that you could only go one way round, could not turn back and had to keep your distance. This meant that whenever anyone stopped to take a photograph ( like Bob did😊) there was a chance of a traffic jam building up . On one bridge someone set up a tripod and there was a long queue of people waiting to pass.We were tired out at the end and my legs are still aching. At a local cafe I had the biggest and best ham and salad sandwich I have ever had and two mugs of tea. I did not need to eat again for hours. We came back home through the scenic route, arriving back at 5.00 pm thus I did not do pilates and yoga but sat in the conservatory with a glass of wine instead.

This morning I am at the hairdressers and Bob has a U3A zoom photography meeting . This afternoon I shall tidy up the greenhouse and prepare
my troughs to lift the begonias in the front garden. Never has this garden had so much attention. Gardening, walking , sewing seems to be life these days

Have a good day everyone, another good one on the way.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”