Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Washing fabric before making up. Have a search in the LTP Sue, particularly Jim Pollard and Horace Thornton who have a lot to say about fillers in fabric. Some of them had 100% by weight and this was insisted on by the cloth merchants who couldn't sell fabric unless it was filled. I think you'll find it interesting!
Doing the next level course in Genealogy is a good move Sue. I have always subscribed to the old saying, "If you want to keep it, use it!" I get mine from books on subjects that are new to me like Sheldrake on mycorrhizal fungi. All new to me. I reckon it deters dementia!
As usual I am having a breather after two hours in the shed. Total success and I shall report later in shed matters. But first a walk and breakfast!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 06:38 I am really looking forward to visiting my favourite place in the UK. We are staying in Bamburgh in the hotel we stayed in as part of our honeymoon
Its a number of years since I went round Bambrugh Castle. A day trip out from New-Biggin so not much time to look round the town, Grace Darling and all that. Enjoyed looking round the castle being unfurnished you could appreciate the stone work and construction. My pal who is an Armstrong kept hinting that there could be some tenuous link between the two families. Pull the other one. Entry prices at that time were £7 for seniors I'll bet its a bit more expensive now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A good morning. The eccentric is finished and ready for fitting. Thank God! It's a nice fit and so it's a good morning!
Now for second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Always advisable to wash fabric prior to using, Stanley. Most fabric has a certain shrinkage rate...and it is vital to know that once you make up a garment, it will retain it’s fit, and you have not wasted your time and effort.
I have always found it standard practice, unless you are working with delicate and precious fabrics such as those for a wedding dress ( I have made a few of those).
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 07:54
Sue wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 06:38 I am really looking forward to visiting my favourite place in the UK. We are staying in Bamburgh in the hotel we stayed in as part of our honeymoon
Its a number of years since I went round Bambrugh Castle. A day trip out from New-Biggin so not much time to look round the town, Grace Darling and all that. Enjoyed looking round the castle being unfurnished you could appreciate the stone work and construction. My pal who is an Armstrong kept hinting that there could be some tenuous link between the two families. Pull the other one. Entry prices at that time were £7 for seniors I'll bet its a bit more expensive now.
Its just over £11 each, we are going on Tuesday morning. We went in years ago when the girls were very young . It always reminds me of family Sunday trips out when we lived in Chester le Street, we would all squash in the car, 6 of us plus any visitors at the time , and our labrador dog. Drive up to Northumberland, Beadnell, Craster, Bamburgh, Holy Island, Dunstanburgh and Alnwick Castle. They were also the regular places for school summer trips out .
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 08:32 Always advisable to wash fabric prior to using, Stanley. Most fabric has a certain shrinkage rate...and it is vital to know that once you make up a garment, it will retain it’s fit, and you have not wasted your time and effort.
I have always found it standard practice, unless you are working with delicate and precious fabrics such as those for a wedding dress ( I have made a few of those).
Agreed Maz. Wedding dress, I have never made one. I made Erins bridesmaid dress plus a headband and loads of fabric flowers adorning the two when Claire and Adam got married . That was enough stress for me! I can’t access my photos at the moment. When I can I shall put one on.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have never charged for my sewing. If I have sewn for a wedding I consider it an honour, hope they love the result, and my time or skill is my gift to them.
I have also sewn so many curtains, I have lost track. Double pleated, triple pleated, goblet tops, padded pelmets, nets, tie backs, whatever...I even did “smocked top” drapes.
Sewing is just for me now...with a badly fractured arm that can’t take curtain weights or quilting any more...and now the ruptured disc limiting long sewing. But I still love doing it. I am in absolute heaven when I sit sewing on the machine. Time becomes a distant thing.
I have honestly made anything from French knickers to canvas tent walls!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sally made her own wedding dress and all the ones for her 7 bridesmaids. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We really enjoyed Bamburgh Castle, had a few days at a hotel in Seahouses and spent a whole day at Bamburgh. A lovely part of the east coast.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Blimey... that is quite a load. I would need a good deal of time to cope with that! ( how long are we talking, given that I do need to eat/sleep/pee at regular intervals)
My hat off to Sally.
My heaviest sewing was shade cloth for a pergola.
My lightest sewing was lace inserted French knickers and bra set which was ever such fine satin...
I have done Lingerie and Sweatshirt courses.
I love beautiful dresses. ( I have none, but I love them). I am one to watch old movies for the beautiful fashions...the Art Deco era is totally fabulous. I love seeing beautiful women in beautiful clothes, and to me, it has NOTHING to do with the size of the woman. Big women are beautiful in the right clothes.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Oh I forgot the page girl and boy as well but they were only small. :extrawink:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I’m not sure I could cope...blimey... your wife is a saint, Panbiker.
( but I would be happy to help her...if she was my friend, she would only have to ask) :good:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Today was influenza vaccination day for Mrs P and myself. Thursday gone Mrs P bought the latest Marry Berry cookery book so before vaccination it was buying all those ingredients that we never needed before she bought the book. Arrived at the health centre Colne ½ hour too early, "no problem we'll do it now". An army of staff dealing with the paperwork then straight in for the vaccination. Why is it that ladies with sharp needles in their hands always smile when they see me? Mrs P filled in the time saved by spending more money at the butchers while I mooched about the book stall for some more Pratchett books, none available so I bought a New York Times biography on Trump, the vaccination must have affected my thinking.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Did you get any instructions on where to go and what to do Plaques? We are both booked in at Colne a week on Tuesday but were told nothing apart from being given a time slot.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Did you get any instructions on where to go and what to do Plaques? Rang up last friday to make the appointment. As long as you're not showing symptoms, allergies and can walk up the first floor steps that's all there is to it. We were met in the car park outside the door, name, time etc etc. handed the sheet which they had filled in. Given the nod to enter the building up the stairs and hand sanitizer before you entered the main waiting room, now the vaccination operation place, bare your arm and smile please. Leave by the back door as directed. Easy-peasy, even I got it right.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

See my comments on the Barlick Surgery organisation, smooth. :smile:

Medical Matters
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you!
Today I had my muck heap half emptied. I've been piling it up for years reluctant to let it go because I never think the ponies are going to be around for much longer. My heap has overflowed it's allotted space and become ridiculous so it was time to get tough and say goodbye to half. :laugh5: Still plenty left if anyone wants a bag or ten for their garden.
20200919_115157.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

More weeding this afternoon, my current compost heap, bin 1, is full so I'm clearing out the veggie beds so I can use the well rotted compost from bin 3 and start afresh. Life is never dull. :smile:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Wendyf wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 13:25 Still plenty left if anyone wants a bag or ten for their garden.
Wish I was there, I'd be filling my bags! :good:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon we could do with a bag or two Wendy, Sally only mentioned it the other day.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just let me know when and I'll have some bags ready for you to collect.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Wendy, we will wait for a reasonably fine day and could we have four?
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No problem.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Evening all

Glad you are back. Updates tomorrow, just got back from Northumberland
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Marathon post on the site. A bit of shed. Early Co-op shop. Usual walks. :biggrin2:
Later... The shed isn't going to happen, posting has got in the way and we are coming up to 07:00, opening time at the Co-op, the time when there are the fewest people about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”